No announcement yet.

Bringing back an E9.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super mega awesome.....boring ass update. Sorry its just slow going right now waiting for parts so we are just working on little stuff. We found some knobs for the radio that don't look so out of place.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

My dad started by inspecting all the fenders and only found a small bit of surface rust in the drivers front. It looks worse in the photo then it does in real life. It will be encapsulated and touched up.

When we started this project, we didn't want a full resto. The plan was to fix it up enough to drive it and maybe flip it for a nicer one later on. It ended up being easier to fully repaint, but we were still scared of the rockers. They have a cover on them, that we decided to leave on when we painted it(I wish we didnt) because if we found rust it would have made for a much bigger project. Well the covers did need to be repainted, the screws holding it in were rusty, and the car might go back to the body shop for some touch ups.... so we pulled them. It was a miracle.

Just a couple spots of surface rust, but no rot. I need to buy some lottery tickets. This will be treated and touched up, and not seen once the covers are installed.

Ran the fuel tank vent.

Installed more trim.

And installed the headlight buckets.

More this week.

Comment

• This is not boring at all. Uncovering lack of rot is always the most exciting thing. Congrats and keep up the good work on this one.
      "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
      Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• Flocked the glove box....

Then it was time to install its face. We did a little polish/clean up on its snoot.

The nose job.

Add some eyes.

And a shark is born.

Sorry that was a little goofy but its a slow day at work and it was fun to kill a little time. I cant believe just how far is as come and how close we are to the finish line.

Comment

• Again, another small e9 update. We sprayed some undercoating in the fender wells.

There is also a random hole in the both the front wheel wells. Its formed when the fender is seamed in over the front structure of the car, it leaves a fist sized hole in the wheel well that turns out to be a moisture trap. This is a before photo but it was also treated and undercoated to hopefully stop rust. We used a boroscope to check it out and it looked surprisingly clean.

But the best update so far, possibly even better than the paint job. Those awful gold wheels have been finally removed.

Comment

• Got it on the ground. I love the wheels but it needs more low.

We are going to get it ready to load on the trailer and try to sneak it over to my house this weekend in between storms.

Comment

• Since work is slow, and Im just getting really excited about the progress on the car, here is a super small update.

My dad found some generic rubber boots and used them as a dust covers for the headlight connectors.

With the dust covers installed the headlights went back in and the front end is officially buttoned up.

The dip switch(high beams) was broken and they are extremely expensive. My engineer father took it apart and repaired and redesigned it a little to make it work.

The A/C vent covers were installed.

And the drivers seat, its almost ready to make the trip to my garage for final detailing.

Comment

• So nice to see this coming together, amazing work!
                sigpic

Comment

• Super small update, as usual. We have had nothing but crappy raining days this week but we got the e9 moved over to my house Friday night in between storms.

The plan will be to work on it here and there over the next couple weeks as the twins will let me. I need to wet sand the hood, go over the whole car with a light compound, polish, and seal the paint. I may also steam the engine bay and any other little detail stuff I find. I did my first repair Friday night by fixing the handle on the ebrake with a 3/4" deep well socket and a rubber mallet.

I will certainly share more as I get some work done this week.

Comment

• I actually got some garage time in last night. I finally finished wet sanding(hopefully) on this car. This was about midway through the process. I ended up doing 2 passes with Megs 101 and one pass of Jescar compound. This was after the first pass of Megs.

I am hoping to pull it out of the garage this evening, blow off all the dust, wipe it down and give it a good looking over before the sun sets. Then hopefully tape it off for polishing after the kiddos go to bed.

Comment

• I finished the polish work over the weekend. Compounded the hood fully.

And gave the rest of the car a full polish.

And pulled it out in to the sun to give it a once over. Its looking pretty damn good.

Ill get the sealant and wax on this week and get it back to my dads shop next weekend. The bumpers are ready to go on and most of the trim can be installed. I am hoping its about 2-3 weeks out from a first drive.

Comment

• Wow its looking amazing. Can not wait to see it with the bumpers and trim on. Are you guys still planning on selling it for a better example?
                        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                          Wow its looking amazing. Can not wait to see it with the bumpers and trim on. Are you guys still planning on selling it for a better example?
                          We are certainly in it where we could make a decent profit on it but I think its going to stick around for a while. We have discussed looking for another one to work on, but we already have a ton of projects. Up next is my 944 hopefully and then maybe building my 1974 2002 that I have tucked away in the basement.

More small updates on the e9. Monday night I put a coat of Jescar Powerlock sealant on and installed the hub caps.

My dad is knocking out little projects while I have car, he painted the rocker covers.

He also picked up the rear bumper from the chrome shop. The front bumper was not included with the car, so we sourced one shortly after buying the car. It was in much better shape than the front so we had this one chromed to match. It came out very nice.

He also polished the front bumper using the worlds oldest can of Turtle wax chrome polish. No joke, I think that can is 30 years old..

Last night I put the first coat of 845 on. This might be the only chemical that rivals Hoppes 9, I would wear a Collinite 845 colone.

I also cleaned and dressed two of the tires and started cleaning the windows, but I didn't get pics.

Comment

• That car really looks amazing. You deserve a Collinite 845 cologne!
                            "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                            Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• This is really coming together now, looks great and that paint is seriously ridiculous!
                              IG: @sebastienaudeon
                              1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                              *pats Sebs head*
                              there there.
                              keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

• It's difficult to find a good build thread anymore. Great job! Facebook and YouTube just don't feel the same.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X