X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, this works.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

Comment

• A couple of boring updates. We changed out the plug wires.

We also made a gasket for the trunk emblem. It is common to close the trunk by pushing on the emblem and they can rub the paint underneath.

And we finally found some tan armrests for the doors.

I also took it out Saturday for a little cruise with my wife. The nardi is perfect, and I can sit in a more comfortable position.

Comment

• Small updates, but after putting some miles on the car(about 100-200 or so) we found some things to address. Most importantly, cars and coffee runs were difficult without a cup holder so we ordered a cup holder from Patina handle...

Ok, maybe not the most important thing. The last time I drove the car, I made an effort to get it up to interstate speeds(70-80) and it felt fine but the temp was a touch high. We did some investigating and notice the fan clutch was weak, and decided to just overhaul the whole cooling system.

Since we had access to the condenser, it seemed like a good time to replace it.

Well, we mostly had access..

With everything removed from the front of the engine, the oil leak issue was pretty obvious...

So the cover was removed and the brittle old seal was replaced.

As of now, we are just waiting on parts. All new coolant hoses, belts, Ac condenser, parts for ac lines(we arent getting it going at this time but just to a point where it wont have to be torn down again when we do), water pump, timing chain tensioner, etc etc. I am sure I am forgetting some parts. While is down we figure it would be a good time for a valve adjustment.

We will also give the engine a good steam cleaning but we should have a leak free(by bmw standards) properly cooled engine when it is all said and done.

On a more fun note, the floor mats came in over the weekend. I am very impressed with the fit and finish of these Cocomats, I will probably order some for my other cars.

Comment

• No car is complete without cup holders. Also, that Nardi is looking great!
          Originally posted by aLaFleur

I've decided the best way to deal with rust is to just embrace it.

Comment

• Awesome....I am in atlanta and hope to see this specimen..great job,

Comment

• What great progress have I missed, I love how the nardi just looks at home, especially with the correct armrests. And great job on the maintenance stuff as well!
              "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
              Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• Sorry its been a crazy few weeks, and its going to get crazier. We have had nothing but rain for the last month it seems, we took a weekend to go to the mountains (deals gap), and I am about to leave for a 12 day work trip. My dad got the engine buttoned back up and gave it a quick clean with the steamer.

He finished the assembly and drove it around a little bit, and zero leaks. That was a big win. Since the weather has been awful he decided to go ahead and work on the AC. We sourced a new style compressor and an adapter mount made for an e28. The mount needed a little shaving but we made it work.

We hooked everything up inside the car when we did the interior, but we needed a couple of hoses. Thankfully we are set up to make them at home.

And installed.

He left it on the vac pump over night and will check for leaks this morning. It is going to be really nice having AC for the ride to the Vintage in September.

Comment

• This is coming alone so nicely.
                  Love the updates

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

• Got the E9 out for a photo shoot Saturday afternoon, and drove it around a little to test it for the Atlanta trip Sunday morning.

This is such a nice place to be, especially with AirCon.

Sunday morning I drove the car about 70 miles north to the local BMWCCA cars and coffee. This was the first time I had the car on the interstate, and I was a little nervous at first. After a few miles at about 65 it settled right in. The AC was amazing, and I could actually see my breath in the car after a sip of coffee. The trip back was also uneventful except for a little traffic. Thankfully the temp gauge didn't creep up while stopped. There are a few issues, but nothing major and it should get to The Vintage and back with no issues. A 5 speed would be nice, its a little buzzy on the interstate.

Photo taken by a semi unprofessional driver, do not attempt. Compared to most drivers in Atlanta, this is perfectly safe and the phone was in my hand for 3 seconds.

I would like to work on the hood paint a little before the vintage, I have some sanding marks to dig out but it is pretty much ready for the show.

Comment

• I love this thing so much. So clean.
                      Originally posted by aLaFleur

I've decided the best way to deal with rust is to just embrace it.

Comment

• I have pretty much been working the last 20 days straight, between normal work and having to go to an airshow. Saturday, my wife let me have some much needed alone time so I took the e9 to cars and coffee. After putting some miles on it, I am confident in the fuel system and that the tank is leak free so I filled it for the first time.

I also stopped a local coffee shop to grab a cup. I put the new Patina Handle cup holder to the test. It worked great and I will likely get one for the 02.

On the drive back I noticed a clicking noise in the right front. I planned on doing an oil change on my daily Sunday morning, so it was already at my dads shop. I drove the e9 over in the morning and the noise got worse. After changing the oil on my wagon we put the e9 up on the lift and found a loose wheel. I torqued the wheel back down and gave it a shake, and found a bad wheel bearing. So the e9 is down now for wheel bearings and a brake system fluid flush and change. I dont know of the bearing caused the wheel to loosen or if it was from painting the wheel and leaving some paint on the mounting area. I am going to pull all the wheels anyway for new tires so I will sand the mounting surface down as well.

Comment

• This is so good looking, and also practical with your mods. I love it.

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

• This weekend the E9 went on its first major trip. Wed night I set up the infotainment screen...

And loaded up the essentials, a cooler full of beer.

Thursday morning, I made the rainy trip to north Atlanta to meet up and caravan with a group, but most of them bailed out because of the rain.

So it was pretty much my buddy Gary, his girlfriend, me, and my dad following in the Jeep. We cruised back roads all the way to Asheville.

We stayed the night in Asheville and partied in the host hotel parking lot Thursday night. That is where we will be staying next year for sure. Friday morning we cruised down to the BMWCCA foundation in Greer SC for a little meet. We hung out there for a couple hours, saw some old friends and made some new ones. We left Greer to head to the Air B&B in Hot Springs Nc, but first we made a quick stop by the mothership.

The parking was a little scary at the Air B&B.

But the views were awesome.

Saturday we went to The Vintage and parked with a group of 12 other E9's. I did not take many pics at the show, I just hung out with friends and relaxed. It was such a good time. Sunday, we drove about 5 or so hours home and made it back with out any major issues. There are a few things we need to address though. It will be getting a 5 speed, the 4 speed is horribly noisy and the extra gear would be nice for interstate cruising. We are going to wire in a hidden USB port for phone charging, the cig lighter fried on the way up. And there is a power steering leak, but that hose is already on order. All and all it was an awesome trip and went better than I could hope for, now I just need to get the cleaned back up and address some issues.

Comment

• Huge update but the photos are going to be boring.

Picked up a new shifty boy for the e9. It obviously needs a clean up, not sure why its covered in great stuff. We have the bell housing, so we just need to gather a few other parts, and put new input and output bearings and seals in it. I am so excited, this car with a 5 speed will be amazing.

Comment

• Oh this is an exciting update!
                                IG: @sebastienaudeon
                                1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                                *pats Sebs head*
                                there there.
                                keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

Working...
                                X