Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FWD In Time, RWD In Mind. The Trappings Of A Failed Drifter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Buick40 View Post
    Heck yeah. I'm glad your modifying style is still "Philosopher-spec"
    Philosophical thought is one of the few things that separates us from beasts. I catch myself applying it more often than not, for better or worse.
    Originally posted by bjk View Post
    Love those autumn shots, nice vibe. Sick score on the bumper too! Keen to see that on.
    I have something for you.

Comment

• I see what you did there
      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• You did a headlights delete

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• pics of the bike
          Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

• Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
            I see what you did there
            Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
            You did a headlights delete
            Yes, but now the headlights are on, and I decided to pull out all the stops, and shoot this high-end video montage:

Very excited for where my new video career may take me.

Truly, the car came out beautifully. After I got the bumper on, I stepped back to take a look. I started pacing the garage, sneaking peeks back at it, like I was a playa at da mall, SWAG on 100, and a limp. Makin all kinds of, "psshhh dayum shawty!!!" and "... ahaa wassu mama hah!" and "... wayment, OK.... OK ..... ye aight u bad, ahah..." "..... aye u makin eyes girl? I'm bout to hit u wit da whats yo name whats yo sign,..." "...talmbout..imma find out where yo mama stay, and yo grandma stay" "yo she got the whole food court watchin..." "every baddie need a daddie" "yeah u be a whole cinnaBUN but that aint nothin without the sweet frostin... haha the names, Kevin, what u doin tho haah."

Anyway, I'm really into it. She bad.
            Last edited by Miroteknik; 02-11-2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
              pics of the bike

Comment

• And now you just need a turbo
                E34 build thread link
                http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...42#post1613542

Follow me on insta
                e_dirty_4

Comment

• Originally posted by Graphitemk6 View Post
                  And now you just need a turbo
                  ^DUDE, I typed up this rant below, and I have too much time into it not to post it. Don't take it personally

I know that I should reply "haha thats on the list! haha" or "snail time!!! ahaha" but... I simply cannot.

Reason 1: If turbo was the goal... why not just buy a GST? Why take a car with an engine that was not built to support forced induction, and force induction on it? It is spatially, mechanically, and financially awkward. And at the end of the day, you still have to explain to anyone with a brain, that you in fact do not have the 4G63, but a 420A, with a turbo. Which is like saying, my girlfriend used to be a dude, but had the surgery and is now a woman.

Reason 2: Money. I grew up poor, and it makes me cringe to see money wasted. Before buying anything, I ask myself.. will this item give me the bang I expect for my buck? Yes this is boring, but it wasn't very long ago that I threw care to the wind, and built a swapped "drift" car. Even then, I spared every dollar I could, and ended up with a $15,000.00 car whose engine was ruined within the first 1,500 miles. Never got to drift it. Do you have any idea how stupid I felt? To put $15,000.00 dollars in a car that implodes on itself before the first oilchange?! Many people told me to "just fix it and keep it!" but those fools do not know what it took for me to save up $15,000.00, and how painful it was for a mechanical novice, to get the car to the point where I could finally drive it. Now you want me to tear the car back apart, spend more money, and wonder how much longer till something else goes wrong? No. $15k was too much to begin with. If I had known it would cost that much, I would not have started. I could have bought a Corvette for that money, and drove to the moon and back with nothing but oil changes.

You see, the Eclipse has already cost more than I'd prefer. As it sits now, the car cost me $6,500.00 If I was to sell the car now, I would probably not be able to get that money back. And in business terms, we call that a LOSS. Being comfortable with loss for the sake of a hobby, is why many kids in this country will never own a home, be free of debt, or pay off their college loans. This country's financial situation is disgusting, and I am appalled at how comfortable everyone is with it. I don't find being wasteful funny, witty, or endearing. Being wasteful is selfish, destructive to yourself, future generations, gives your country a bad name, and ruins character. If you ever want to be wealthy/comfortable/whatever, you're going to have to learn how to avoid LOSS.

Insane builds on the internet, are just elaborate displays of mechanical achievement and how far something can be taken. None of those cars drive a family to school, work, or serve any useful purpose to society. They are just wild displays of mechanical prowess. For those people who are so rich, that their properties are paid off, their savings are sorted, and have no debts; they can go ahead with their 4-rotors, their pro-chargers, their chrome-plated rat-rods, aired-out stretched Semi's, etc etc etc. None of those vehicles are as useful as your average Civic, and every decent fabricator/drifter/stancer has a daily. Everybody sees the Instagram shots of turbos blowing fire, Dyno charts over 1,000, polished intakes, and CNC'd one-off-parts, but I know what that reality looks like. It looks like a dude hopping into his regular-ass toyota/honda/kia/etc at the end of the day, and driving home in comfort.

If I haven't already made it obvious, I am not at a financial position to throw money into a woodchipper. I've decided to have a clean, minimal build, that hearkens back to 90's ricer days, Fast and Furious, and simpler times. When my buddies and I were making $8.00 an hour, meeting up in parking lots, and hanging out for hours in our cars. Talking about maybe being able to order that front-lip in a few weeks, or should I just go with lowering springs? Bragging to eachother about who did a better job on their stereo install, and comparing whose trunk rattled less. It turns out, those days were the best. When 3-piece wheels weren't feasible, and so we would dream of them. Dreaming of having them, and how the car would look with them, turned out to be more magical than actually having them. That's just a lesson I learned with time. The anticipation and the fantasy is always better than whatever you're trying to obtain. If I complain now about cleaning around every bolt on my Meisters, I can only imagine the mental torture dudes with chrome-plated engines go through. Like that one meme says: "I've spent my whole adult life chasing the high of a scholastic book fair."

I guess this is just a rant now: Man, I've had enough cars, and bought enough parts, to realize it isn't the next 5 horsepower that will make you happy. I mean, longer than 20 minutes happy. Honestly, I'm sick of it. After the RX7, I almost gave up on cars. I was sentimentally invested in that car. I've drawn a line for myself, and I've told myself I'm not going to cross it any more. It isn't happiness on the other side, its just the next mod. Mod after mod, until you've created an unstable, eyesore and headache of a nightmare that you can't even enjoy anymore. I mean, take the founder of this website. Mike. He's just chasing the high he created with that roadtrip in his rusty e28. He kept chopping at that car until it was just a pain in the ass, and then sold it to a museum... because its an engineering.... marvel... but it isn't something you can hop in with your girl, and drive downtown for dinner. Its just a selfish exercise in mechanics with no consideration for comfort, reliability, or practical application.

I'm too spent to change the format: I hope this didn't make you mad. Its just that I think about this a lot, and needed to get this off my chest. I have to restrain myself, a lot. I love cars, but I've taken them too far (for me) before, and I didn't enjoy it. Each to his own. In short, I won't be putting a turbo into this car. And honestly, I hope I don't have to put anything else into it. The greatest gift would be if I could hop in this car, and just happily go for a drive. That's what cars were made to do. To serve people. Not melt tires, not rocket you into light-speed, not whine, and whistle, and pop, crackle, and fart, and piss, and whatever else your tuner can do for you. Every time I see a beautifully built drift car hit the wall, I cringe. You can post whatever emoji or caption to play it off, but I've taken a peek into that world. I know what you're paying. That isn't cool, or funny, or even productive. Is your car serving you? Or are you serving your car?

Last Sunday my buddy asked me if I wanted to drive down to the next town by the river to celebrate the new bumper over dinner. I was like, "Hell yeah". And I hopped into the car, with no concern of turbos, or pre-mix, or "the way my suspension is set up", and we drove an hour each way, just vibin. And to me, that was enough.

Last edited by Miroteknik; 02-12-2020, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• It sucks your on the other coast, cuz I feel we would be good friends. I am glad you posted that rant, as I feel the same way anymore with how the whole car scene has changed. I miss the old days where it was just fun being with friends, local car meets, and cruising around enjoying everything. Now its just a duck measuring contest of who can spend the most on their "build" which is just wheels and suspension anymore. I overbuilt my bmw and starting to regret it. I cant drive it anywhere other than work and races. Its an expensive paper weight at this point which drives me up a wall. I love the simplicity of the mk3 and how it takes me back to those fun days with all my friends when we were building cars on a tight budget.
                    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Honestly what both of your guys said hits home, and it was exactly what I needed to read today to get back I to the right mindset. I used to have a slammed Volvo up until about 4 years ago. Owned it for close to 7 years. When it started out i just wanted it to look a little nicer and drive a littler better. Each year it became more and more of a pain in the ass to drive it. Evey year I wanted it just a little lower, just a little faster, so I could get more and more attention at car shows. Wasted so much money and did so many stupid mods things like removing cruise control and deleting the windshield washer fluid bottle just to make the bay look cleaner. Deleted the seats people would always ask me what's the point in having a sedan if you can't have anyone in your car. Slammed it so much it was a pain in the ass driving just about anywhere. With it being my only car I fell into the trap of fixing it just to get to work and only going to work to keep my car running. Anywho I eventually shattered the oilpan and destroyed the motor "lowlife". After 7 years of pouring time and money into it I partner it out and scrapped it for about $1000. Next time around I promised myself I would never fall into that trap again keep it simple and never build another car that couldn't be driven whenever or wherever I wanted. So I'm glad both of you guys posted because this was exactly what I needed to see. Here's to keeping it simple and building cars simply for the joy of driving them
                      E34 build thread link
                      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...42#post1613542

Follow me on insta
                      e_dirty_4

Comment

• Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                        It sucks your on the other coast, cuz I feel we would be good friends. I am glad you posted that rant, as I feel the same way anymore with how the whole car scene has changed. I miss the old days where it was just fun being with friends, local car meets, and cruising around enjoying everything. Now its just a duck measuring contest of who can spend the most on their "build" which is just wheels and suspension anymore. I overbuilt my bmw and starting to regret it. I cant drive it anywhere other than work and races. Its an expensive paper weight at this point which drives me up a wall. I love the simplicity of the mk3 and how it takes me back to those fun days with all my friends when we were building cars on a tight budget.
                        Originally posted by Graphitemk6 View Post
                        Honestly what both of your guys said hits home, and it was exactly what I needed to read today to get back I to the right mindset. I used to have a slammed Volvo up until about 4 years ago. Owned it for close to 7 years. When it started out i just wanted it to look a little nicer and drive a littler better. Each year it became more and more of a pain in the ass to drive it. Evey year I wanted it just a little lower, just a little faster, so I could get more and more attention at car shows. Wasted so much money and did so many stupid mods things like removing cruise control and deleting the windshield washer fluid bottle just to make the bay look cleaner. Deleted the seats people would always ask me what's the point in having a sedan if you can't have anyone in your car. Slammed it so much it was a pain in the ass driving just about anywhere. With it being my only car I fell into the trap of fixing it just to get to work and only going to work to keep my car running. Anywho I eventually shattered the oilpan and destroyed the motor "lowlife". After 7 years of pouring time and money into it I partner it out and scrapped it for about $1000. Next time around I promised myself I would never fall into that trap again keep it simple and never build another car that couldn't be driven whenever or wherever I wanted. So I'm glad both of you guys posted because this was exactly what I needed to see. Here's to keeping it simple and building cars simply for the joy of driving them
                        I am.... vibing with you guys big time. No lie.

Comment

• Guys I am on the complete opposite side of the barricade LOL
                          I own my mk1 cabby since 2012 and out of 8 years of ownership I drove it for 8 months total. I sunk tremendous amounts of money into it, a car that I paid 2500€ in times when I barely had those and it took me months to afford ebay coils and an exhaust, but I had a vision I let money, time and sense distract me from and that's not something I can tolerate anymore, I am willing to go to whatever lenght is needed to archieve my vision even knowing that it will probably end up as a cool, expensive paperweight, not cause it's unpractical (never had issues with that, I love driving stupid pieces of machinery and would probably daily it if I lived somewhere else) but because where I live it'd be so illegal it would get impounded and never given back anytime I would drive it.
                          It's a damn art piece, in the form of a car, that I would love to be able to still drive, but I want to see it completed, to see my vision realized more than to have a usable car.

That's why I got a daily driver...and sunk more money than I am comfortable admitting into that too, so now I have an equally illegal daily and I would probably need another daily so that I can make THAT illegal too and so on and on but that is a separate issue

It's 1:30AM and I probably did not make any sense, anyways I love reading this kind of rants

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                            Dreaming of having them, and how the car would look with them, turned out to be more magical than actually having them. That's just a lesson I learned with time. The anticipation and the fantasy is always better than whatever you're trying to obtain.
                            This is the best summary ever.
                            I totally feel what you guys say. Tired of having to solve the next problem with spending more money and missing the old days when you had to plot out how and when you could afford to obtain that cheap used set of koni shocks (example).
                            Having a simple "build" with reduced costs or at least parts that can return the value when sold off is soooo much better than sinking buckets of coin into a car just because you set your mind to do it "right". And in the end it still isn't right.

On topic: the car looks very good with the new bumper, I was skeptical at first about it, but once installed - just right.
                            "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                            Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                              Guys I am on the complete opposite side of the barricade LOL
                              I own my mk1 cabby since 2012 and out of 8 years of ownership I drove it for 8 months total. I sunk tremendous amounts of money into it, a car that I paid 2500€ in times when I barely had those and it took me months to afford ebay coils and an exhaust, but I had a vision I let money, time and sense distract me from and that's not something I can tolerate anymore, I am willing to go to whatever lenght is needed to archieve my vision even knowing that it will probably end up as a cool, expensive paperweight, not cause it's unpractical (never had issues with that, I love driving stupid pieces of machinery and would probably daily it if I lived somewhere else) but because where I live it'd be so illegal it would get impounded and never given back anytime I would drive it.
                              It's a damn art piece, in the form of a car, that I would love to be able to still drive, but I want to see it completed, to see my vision realized more than to have a usable car.

That's why I got a daily driver...and sunk more money than I am comfortable admitting into that too, so now I have an equally illegal daily and I would probably need another daily so that I can make THAT illegal too and so on and on but that is a separate issue

It's 1:30AM and I probably did not make any sense, anyways I love reading this kind of rants
                              Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                              This is the best summary ever.
                              I totally feel what you guys say. Tired of having to solve the next problem with spending more money and missing the old days when you had to plot out how and when you could afford to obtain that cheap used set of koni shocks (example).
                              Having a simple "build" with reduced costs or at least parts that can return the value when sold off is soooo much better than sinking buckets of coin into a car just because you set your mind to do it "right". And in the end it still isn't right.

On topic: the car looks very good with the new bumper, I was skeptical at first about it, but once installed - just right.
                              I appreciate your replies. I really do. It makes me feel less insane, and shows one rule does not apply to all. Fruttolo, you are more resilient than I. I cannot stand the thought of a car that is too artful to drive. But I respect what you get out of your car. I hope to keep in touch and see if your opinion changes. I mean well.

gnmzl, I know exactly what you mean. Which only makes me hope your E30 stops putting you through hell, and lets you enjoy it for some time. Every time I see your posts with pictures of internal engine parts, I die a little inside. I hope you plan to be an M20 master-builder by the time your car is running.

I'm glad you like the bumper, I consider it very aesthetic. The proportions of the intake/foglight/(fake)brake ducts, to headlights are very good. Good luck with your M-Tech 1 skirts

Comment

• So, when are you going turbo?

I share your sentiments. I've essentially have a paper weight that sits in my garage on jack stands 99% of the year and just takes up space. After this year, I'm not sure what to do with it. Kind of miss it being just a simple car and I won't ever build something I don't drive again.

Car looks awesome BTW.

@projects_always

Comment

Working...
                                X