Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FWD In Time, RWD In Mind. The Trappings Of A Failed Drifter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
    Every time I see your posts with pictures of internal engine parts, I die a little inside. I hope you plan to be an M20 master-builder by the time your car is running.

I'm glad you like the bumper, I consider it very aesthetic. The proportions of the intake/foglight/(fake)brake ducts, to headlights are very good. Good luck with your M-Tech 1 skirts
    That's exactly how your bumper changes the projection of your car, very well put.

The thing is, before this m20 I built another two, that are stacking miles like crazy in other people's cars. Granted, simpler and not so powerful ones (a 2.3 and a 2.8). My own m20 decided to teach me a lesson, because I wanted to make it awesome. But you are correct, I learnt soooo much along the process of troubleshooting it, that I feel very confident the next one will turn out a very healthy engine.

Originally posted by cblock406 View Post
    So, when are you going turbo?

I share your sentiments. I've essentially have a paper weight that sits in my garage on jack stands 99% of the year and just takes up space. After this year, I'm not sure what to do with it. Kind of miss it being just a simple car and I won't ever build something I don't drive again.

Car looks awesome BTW.
    Let's all make a promise, that the next car we build will be more functional than paper weight.
    Miro already has a headstart on us, but we can catch up.

Carry on, Miro, we need more pictures of your car being driven, so we can sob and complain how we don't drive ours. Props to you
    "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
    Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
      It sucks your on the other coast, cuz I feel we would be good friends. I am glad you posted that rant, as I feel the same way anymore with how the whole car scene has changed. I miss the old days where it was just fun being with friends, local car meets, and cruising around enjoying everything. Now its just a duck measuring contest of who can spend the most on their "build" which is just wheels and suspension anymore. I overbuilt my bmw and starting to regret it. I cant drive it anywhere other than work and races. Its an expensive paper weight at this point which drives me up a wall. I love the simplicity of the mk3 and how it takes me back to those fun days with all my friends when we were building cars on a tight budget.
      ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of this and to the rant. I get laughed at when I say I just want "a simple cruiser". I just wanna cruise and enjoy being in the seat with no worries.

Comment

• Yooo, Miro, how did I miss the update on this. Firstly, bumper is sickkk, nothing better than doing relatively simple aesthetic changes and it just transforms the look of the car, 10/10 (paint and fit looks minto, too), always keen to see more.

And another expression of concord for your rante a la turboe. From one poor guy to another, I really empathise with toeing that dangerous line of investment vs return when it comes to project cars (or, really, any car). I've thrown the same amount of money at my little tin-can (and more between the two of them, over the years), and if it was a dead loss after all that, I'd likely have reconsidered my hobby also. When I look back at what I spent, and when people message me about the car and ask if it was "worth it", because they are considering doing similar, it's hard to be unequivocally affirmative. Maybe I would have been just as happy with something milder, something simpler, something more legal (lol). As the old adage goes though, "A project car is never finished", and the lure of "the next mod" (especially when you can only afford a few at a time), is hard to resist; not only that, it prolongs the total amount of time it takes for that sugar-high of getting something new and shiny installed to crash into buyers remorse or regret.

I guess among tales of "turboing your non-turbo car", I'd consider myself lucky on the whole, but it definitely wasn't without its share of learning things the hard way. I learnt that despite following prior examples, things will inevitably go wrong, you'll always spend more than you budgeted, and seldom see any of it back. I count two things as being essential for me personally not having burnt out yet:
        - being able to afford a reliable daily, and
        - the project car being reliable enough to drive to work if I needed it to

Just like you say, the greatest joy of having a car is (lo and behold) actually driving it. I will always remember the words of the guy I bought my bronze TE37s from: "Don't build a racecar!" he said, standing in front of his bonkers, wide-body, built-motor, carbon-clad, aero-optimised, time attack S15. And it wasn't the fact that the car didn't work, it was that there was so much cash gone in, with an increasingly smaller amount of feasible time in the seat. Why was he selling the wheels? They were now too small to fill the fenders

Despite there being more mods in the pipeline for me, I appreciate the sentiment of your post. Since I have been out driving in the hills and canyons almost every weekend, enjoying this largely garage-built machine, I have been asking myself seriously, how much more do I really need?. Perhaps I will tick the last few things off my wish-list, and then focus on something else (probably a house, but maybe I'll buy an upright piano before that aha).

Keep doing your thing, man. Stay well.

Comment

• Originally posted by cblock406 View Post
          So, when are you going turbo?

I share your sentiments. I've essentially have a paper weight that sits in my garage on jack stands 99% of the year and just takes up space. After this year, I'm not sure what to do with it. Kind of miss it being just a simple car and I won't ever build something I don't drive again.

Car looks awesome BTW.
          Never

Funny, just saw your car on a Fortune Auto post online... you're doing something right!

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
          That's exactly how your bumper changes the projection of your car, very well put.

The thing is, before this m20 I built another two, that are stacking miles like crazy in other people's cars. Granted, simpler and not so powerful ones (a 2.3 and a 2.8). My own m20 decided to teach me a lesson, because I wanted to make it awesome. But you are correct, I learnt soooo much along the process of troubleshooting it, that I feel very confident the next one will turn out a very healthy engine.

Let's all make a promise, that the next car we build will be more functional than paper weight.
          Miro already has a headstart on us, but we can catch up.

Carry on, Miro, we need more pictures of your car being driven, so we can sob and complain how we don't drive ours. Props to you
          My nonsense does not apply to you. You are a master builder with an e30 obsession and I love watching your builds. From what it looks like, you'll be driving quite a bit now that that ticking is sorted!

Originally posted by saturnstance View Post
          ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of this and to the rant. I get laughed at when I say I just want "a simple cruiser". I just wanna cruise and enjoy being in the seat with no worries.
          Ah! I get laughed at too!
          Last edited by Miroteknik; 09-16-2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bjk View Post
            Yooo, Miro, how did I miss the update on this. Firstly, bumper is sickkk, nothing better than doing relatively simple aesthetic changes and it just transforms the look of the car, 10/10 (paint and fit looks minto, too), always keen to see more.

And another expression of concord for your rante a la turboe. From one poor guy to another, I really empathise with toeing that dangerous line of investment vs return when it comes to project cars (or, really, any car). I've thrown the same amount of money at my little tin-can (and more between the two of them, over the years), and if it was a dead loss after all that, I'd likely have reconsidered my hobby also. When I look back at what I spent, and when people message me about the car and ask if it was "worth it", because they are considering doing similar, it's hard to be unequivocally affirmative. Maybe I would have been just as happy with something milder, something simpler, something more legal (lol). As the old adage goes though, "A project car is never finished", and the lure of "the next mod" (especially when you can only afford a few at a time), is hard to resist; not only that, it prolongs the total amount of time it takes for that sugar-high of getting something new and shiny installed to crash into buyers remorse or regret.

I guess among tales of "turboing your non-turbo car", I'd consider myself lucky on the whole, but it definitely wasn't without its share of learning things the hard way. I learnt that despite following prior examples, things will inevitably go wrong, you'll always spend more than you budgeted, and seldom see any of it back. I count two things as being essential for me personally not having burnt out yet:
            - being able to afford a reliable daily, and
            - the project car being reliable enough to drive to work if I needed it to

Just like you say, the greatest joy of having a car is (lo and behold) actually driving it. I will always remember the words of the guy I bought my bronze TE37s from: "Don't build a racecar!" he said, standing in front of his bonkers, wide-body, built-motor, carbon-clad, aero-optimised, time attack S15. And it wasn't the fact that the car didn't work, it was that there was so much cash gone in, with an increasingly smaller amount of feasible time in the seat. Why was he selling the wheels? They were now too small to fill the fenders

Despite there being more mods in the pipeline for me, I appreciate the sentiment of your post. Since I have been out driving in the hills and canyons almost every weekend, enjoying this largely garage-built machine, I have been asking myself seriously, how much more do I really need?. Perhaps I will tick the last few things off my wish-list, and then focus on something else (probably a house, but maybe I'll buy an upright piano before that aha).

Keep doing your thing, man. Stay well.
            You bumped an almost dead thread, and I am honored to show some signs of life. Thank you for the kind words. Get that house, and that piano! If I didn't have a house, I would definitely get another project car. I'm remodeling mine right now, and that keeps me plenty busy. I should leave it at that, but in my usual fashion, I've typed up a sea of words. Read at your own risk:

---------------------------------

I am definitely not going to be over-building this car. I have a million reasons why over-building a car is loss (and all I do is win lmao). I say that jokingly, but I have been thinking a lot about winning. What does winning mean to me? It used to mean having the coolest (loose term) car in my peer group, or even better, the coolest car in town. After chasing that goal for the last ten years, I am just tired. And as the internet has come along, it has made that goal even more impossible, since even the coolest cars hardly get 15 minutes of fame, before the next one takes the title. I find that so discouraging. I seek out things in life that last. 15 minutes isn't going to cut it for me any more. I'm not a mechanic, I'm not a fabricator, cars have nothing to do with how I make money. They are purely an expense.

Speaking of which, I sold the Meisters lmao. Some guy online was looking for a set. I offered mine, he took the offer, and I walked away with a $1000 profit. Already had a backup set of lame wheels, so the car didn't skip a beat. I was tired of finger-washing the 36x4=144 wheel bolts, every time I washed the car. Watching water stains develop on the clear finish, worrying about curb rashing them, them getting stolen, etc. I do miss the way they looked on the car, but I feel less guilty now, less worried, washing the car takes half the time, and I have an extra rack in my stack.

Am I at peace? No... Every few weeks I look at Corvette prices, a number of luxury sedans, and lifted trucks. I heard someone say that it is human nature to be discontent, and I really agree with that. That's probably why so many people bought that "NEVER CONTENT" slap sticker. It states something that is so true. We will never be content. There is no end to our wants. It is up to me to be forever chasing, or curb my desires. To give in to every desire is a weakness. How weak am I?

I still consider myself weak, but not as weak as I once was. Now in my 30's, I am seeing the benefits of self-discipline. I am debt-free, own everything I have outright, and have a growing savings account. My main struggle is keeping myself on track, and not veering off into ego-spending.

It sucks we don't want to listen to old folks when we are young, but I understand why. You can never understand something fully until you have risen and fallen. After having learned the hard lessons, we are ready to make actual progress. I know now, that the longer the "mod" list in a car listing, the bigger pain in the ass the car will be. I know now, that the rarer your possession, the more you will worry about it, and the less you will use it. I know now, that the more expensive the object, the less I need it. Everything has a basic price. The farther you get away from that, the less you are maximizing your utility per dollar. How much of a walking waste you desire to be, is up to you (and me).

My perspective is not attractive, I know. Especially on a site like this, where aesthetics and clout are everything. But I somehow made it on here, and I'll risk speaking my mind. If anyone finds a grain of good in it, it will not be time wasted.

That brings us here... to my slow, no turbo, no baller wheel setup Eclipse. Every time I drive it, I chuckle at how long it takes to get to 60mph, but I know my choice to keep it has a silent, unseen positive effect on my life in the long term. I am staying focused on lasting goals and (hopefully), self-fulfillment. I am not changing cars like shoes, paying taxes and registration fees on every transaction, doing maintenance on every car I buy, etc etc etc. The moves I make are unseen and unheard, but the results will be there when I need them.

I hope you are all winning in your own ways my friends. I watch all of your builds and I enjoy them vicariously through you. I know there is great joy in car-building and modification. Keep doing it until it stops making sense. Then re-evaluate, and take the next step.

In the meantime, I am rolling on these $100.00 (with tires) craigslist TSW's. The car has not seen any modifications since

XXXX
            Last edited by Miroteknik; 09-17-2020, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• I'm copying that post and saving it so I can re read and re read. I felt that on such a level that's not explainable. I'm in the same boat and ya know what, it feels good.

Comment

• Dude this is the best thread on this site. I feel super similar, and felt like I was being a crybaby because I couldn't enjoy cars that were prone to breaking and money pits. I recently sold my JDM Legacy b4 RSK and bought a mx-5. Everyone tells me I downgraded, but damnit does it feel like an upgrade for my sanity. Love this build, love this gen eclipse, love you.

Comment

• Hear, hear... well said. I've seen so many cars that get modified look great then end up being over done. Sometimes less is more...

Comment

• Originally posted by saturnstance View Post
                    I'm copying that post and saving it so I can re read and re read. I felt that on such a level that's not explainable. I'm in the same boat and ya know what, it feels good.
                    Originally posted by CYDRO12 View Post
                    Dude this is the best thread on this site. I feel super similar, and felt like I was being a crybaby because I couldn't enjoy cars that were prone to breaking and money pits. I recently sold my JDM Legacy b4 RSK and bought a mx-5. Everyone tells me I downgraded, but damnit does it feel like an upgrade for my sanity. Love this build, love this gen eclipse, love you.
                    Originally posted by Jaja View Post
                    Hear, hear... well said. I've seen so many cars that get modified look great then end up being over done. Sometimes less is more...
                    Wow hello Kings, almost didn't see you there from the blinding brilliance of your crowns. ^

In continuation of my cope in not having a fast or expensive car, I finally got around to putting the last missing piece onto the front end. JDM yellow fog lights. Before you rebuke me for spending unnecessary money that could be invested, doubled by selling crack, or put towards a early-retirement, let me tell you that these are knock-off ebay LED bargain buys. I think they were $30.00

Since the RS did not come with fog-lights, this means that there were no mounts for them either. I don't know about you, but every time I see someone custom-mount fog lights, it turns out an eye-sore. This was a huge concern for me, because I would **** to ruin such a beautiful face. What did I end up doing? I J-B Welded the fog lights right into the plastic facia/trim/whatever. It's been a few weeks, and they haven't fallen out.

I know what you're thinking... "Ok well played, but now let's see Paul Allen's fog light wiring!" Cause every custom fog-light installation comes with an even scarier wiring solution. But if you were to glance under my hood, you would be surprised not to see an extra wire or fuse running to the battery and then through a hole in the firewall, and then an atrocious switch drilled into the dashboard! Over several nights while trying to fall asleep, I would stare into the void and wonder how I would get power to the fog lights in a sexual manner. I am rather pleased to reveal to you, that there is even now, no fog light switch in the car. I wired the fog lights to the side-markers! I never much cared for the side markers lighting up, and since these LED fog lights only drew 5W, I figured the power would be plenty.

Clearly, I am rather proud of the result. On cold foggy mornings, when everyone is turning on their headlights, I will simply flick on my side-markers. For that "I'm too cool for headlights" look, where I stand out just enough, but not too much. Where everybody knows I made a conscious decision to turn on my side markers and "sad-boy JDM unique no-club car-guy touge-is-life" fog lights, but nobody will bother calling me out on it, because that would only prove that it bothered them enough for them to say anything.

And for further insult to injury.... come here... .let me tell you a little secret.....

"...i turn my fog lights on even when it isn't foggy"

You can turn your face away as I drive by but I know you saw me. And I know it ruined your day.

Gentlemen, ask not what you can do for your car, but what your car can do for you.

XXXX
                    Last edited by Miroteknik; 09-28-2020, 12:07 PM.

Comment

You can turn your face away as I drive by but I know you saw me. And I know it ruined your day.
                      Cracked me up
                      Very good idea for the side marker switch and wiring doubling for the fogs. If we had side markers over here I'd shamelessly steal that solution.

Car looks really good too, love these shots.
                      "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
                      Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• Love the effort you put in your updates. I like the yellow fogs, especially on that black front. Are you planning on running different wheels anytime soon? The Works were ballin'

Comment

• Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                          Cracked me up
                          Very good idea for the side marker switch and wiring doubling for the fogs. If we had side markers over here I'd shamelessly steal that solution.

Car looks really good too, love these shots.
                          bruh....

Originally posted by CYDRO12 View Post
                          Love the effort you put in your updates. I like the yellow fogs, especially on that black front. Are you planning on running different wheels anytime soon? The Works were ballin'
                          I miss interesting, fun build threads. There were so many on here a few years ago. Some would have a long story behind them, some would be full of idiocy (but super entertaining), some would be full of incredible fabrication, some would just have beautiful photography, others would have a ton of money being spent. I miss being able to come here almost any day of the week and see several build threads updated. Everyone knew eachother, builds had inside jokes... it was such a good time. I miss that.

Glad you like the fogs, damn you liked the Works?

Last edited by Miroteknik; 09-29-2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I miss interesting, fun build threads. There were so many on here a few years ago. Some would have a long story behind them, some would be full of idiocy (but super entertaining), some would be full of incredible fabrication, some would just have beautiful photography, others would have a ton of money being spent. I miss being able to come here almost any day of the week and see several build threads updated. Everyone knew eachother, builds had inside jokes... it was such a good time. I miss that.
                            100% agree with this- there's about a dozen active threads nowdays. I find myself reading the good old ones over now and again.

Especially annoying when you see an unseen thread pop up on top, only to find out its a bot

Also I personally think the Works complimented the round lines of the car, but these are cool too haha
                            Gruz

Comment

• Originally posted by gruz View Post
                              100% agree with this- there's about a dozen active threads nowdays. I find myself reading the good old ones over now and again.

Especially annoying when you see an unseen thread pop up on top, only to find out its a bot

Also I personally think the Works complimented the round lines of the car, but these are cool too haha
                              Yeah the current wheels can't touch the look of the Meisters for sure lmao

XXXX
                              Last edited by Miroteknik; 11-06-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Was so confused on the wheels, went back and totally understand. I miss having nice and fancy 3 piece wheels but then could never keep them clean.
                                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X