X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilovers for a 944?

Hello all!

I've been wracking my brain for the past several weeks on how to go about lowering my 1986 Porsche 944. 944 suspension is confusing as heck, and it doesn't help that the models seem to have varied suspension, as well. So, here's what I know:
    • It seems like differences in suspension go from 82-85, 85.5-86, 86.5-92 (something like that)
    • All 944s have a torsion bar in the rear, so they have no springs
    • I can delete the torsion bar, but will need an increased spring rate to balance out the missing weight

The thing is, I can find little to know information on how to actually stance the 944 itself. The only low 944s I've seen are usually in Europe. I've reached out to a couple of people on instagram, but I can't seem to get any consistent information on what coilovers to purchase. The other option is to reindex the torsion bar and just put new struts in the rear and coilovers on the front. However, that seems like an enormous pain in the butt and I'd rather just do a full on coilover swap.

There are several companies that make coilovers for Porsche 944s, but I can't find a ton of information on people who have run the more obscure brands. I'm looking to stay in the 1000-1500 range for coilovers, with 2000 kind of being my absolute max for right now. I've heard Bilsteins and KW are great coilovers, but I can't bring myself to drop 3 grand on suspension for the Porsche. Koni makes a kit for 944s, but the community seems to be pretty divided about the quality. Ceika makes coilovers for them, but I can't for the life of me find anyone who has run them. Gaz Gold seems to be a semi-popular choice in Europe, but I'm not sure if I can even get them here.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Maybe you have used one of the more obscure brands of coilovers and can recommend a company? Asking most of the 944 enthuiasts results in the usual "why do you want to lower a 944?"

Any advice at all on dropping the 944 would be so, so appreciated!

Thank you!
    Kenz

Static 1986 Guards Red NA Porsche 944
    P O R S C H E P A I ~
    The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

looks perfect to me
    covet fashion hack Tool

Comment

Working...
    X