S-Cargo: 1995 UrS6 Avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-Cargo: 1995 UrS6 Avant

I decided to go ahead and make another thread, just because these are different cars and I don't want the old thread to get super cluttered. Anyway, after owning a 1995 S6 sedan for about a year and a half, I reluctantly sold it to buy this thing. Here's the old thread for reference.

Anyway, there's a bit of an interesting story behind this wagon. Audi brought around 300 of these into the US for the model year 1995 only. Over half of them were green, and this one is black and has some rare options like the rear-facing third row seat. When I bought my sedan what I really wanted was an Avant, but they were a lot harder to come by and a lot more expensive. I met my buddy Nick through buying parts for my sedan, and he had been building this Avant for several years. I was up in Asheville last fall and he mentioned he might be ready to part with the car... essentially, I told him to let me know when he was ready and I would try to sell my sedan. To make a long story short, we hashed out a price and my sedan sold in less than 24 hours. While we were in the negotiation process, my gf and I happened to go to Asheville and took the car for a drive. He handed me the keys and told me to "beat the shit out of it" on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Needless to say, we worked a price out and I was able to bring the car home over the weekend.

So here's some general info in case you aren't familiar with these cars. These all came with a 2.2L I5 called the AAN that was pretty much the final evolution of the original Audi 5-cylinder engines mated to a 5-speed manual and AWD. Stock power figures are something like 230hp/260tq but these are known for being bulletproof (if a little finicky sometimes) and responding very well to mods. This car is no exception, having been tuned for the first time in 2001 and modified further over time since.

Here is a semi comprehensive list of what's been done to the car thus far.

- EFR 6258 turbo
    - 034Motorsport 7A turbo manifold
    - 7A cams (for more top end, the 7A is the N/A 5cyl)
    - 7A valve cover
    - VEMS engine management with tune from EFI Express
    - DEKA 630cc injectors
    - Aquamist water/meth injection
    - 6 speed swapped out of a B5 S4
    - 17Z Porsche brake calipers with A8 rotors
    - Carbon interior trim only available in 1993 S4's
    - Euro headlights and taillights
    - Bilstein/H&R suspension
    - Poly subframe bushings

Now onto the pics! The car handled the 3 hour drive home to Atlanta like a champ.

Engine bay:

Interior (a little dirty in the pic, sorry but in great shape)

Check out these headrests. I have never seen these before on a C4 platform car, but they sure are comfy. Also note the giant headrests for the rear seats lol.

Safe and sound in Atlanta!

The car came with a book of service records dating back to 2001. Pretty cool to look through.

Right after we got back to ATL, we went to Home Depot to buy a lawnmower. Good thing I had a wagon. When we went to load the mower in, the rear hatch handle wouldn't open. I had to crawl in through the back and use the inside handle, which was pretty annoying but after spending several hours fiddling with the extremely fragile and complicated hatch trim I figured it out. Had to remove the rear wiper and motor to see the latch mechanism. I don't know if this pic conveys it very well, but there is a pin that connects the rod on the right side to everything else. Snugged it down and my hatch works again.

Girlfriend enjoying the 3rd row accommodations while watching me curse at annoying plastic trim.

Anyway, thanks for making it this far. Future plans? I need to clean up the front and rear bumpers, do paint correction, and obviously get the car low. I have to say I am kinda enjoying the big old boat feeling this thing has now. It corners pretty decent but is high enough that it's comfy and fast enough that it's amusing especially in the highway pull department.
    Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

So awesome, I am jealous. I had the chance to buy one of these before but passed on it. Cant wait to see what you do to it in the future.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

That's a very purposeful looking engine, great looking big car
      My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

Dude that is awesome.
        Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
        2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

Not usually a fan of audi wagons but this is really cool, never saw one with rear facing seats!

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

with the rear-facing seat, how are these cars not the go-to for h20i legal rolling shots?

Comment

This is cool as shit, I can see why you sold the sedan to pick it up.

@projects_always

Comment

Sweet upgrade from the sedan, look like a more solid platform to build upon! Although the fact that it's an Avant was reason enough alone to make the switch haha

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                  with the rear-facing seat, how are these cars not the go-to for h20i legal rolling shots?
                  Dude could roll in OC with a "rolling shot machine up for hiring" sticker on his doors and return home with heaps of money

Comment

Yay you made a new thread!

Static 1986 Guards Red NA Porsche 944
                    P O R S C H E P A I ~
                    The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                      So awesome, I am jealous. I had the chance to buy one of these before but passed on it. Cant wait to see what you do to it in the future.
                      Thanks man. I guess it says a lot about how much I love these cars that I sold my sedan, had money burning a hole in my pocket for months, and still waited and bought this avant. If you ever get the chance to buy another UrS I would highly recommend it!!
                      Originally posted by theseeker411 View Post
                      Dude that is awesome.
                      Thanks buddy!
                      Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                      Great idea. "What do you mean officer? I'm buckled up." Hoping to bring the car to H2Oi and Helen this year.

Thought I would show you guys what parts availability looks like for this platform. These are the only coilovers you can buy today, from 2Bennett in California. Check out this 1997 website!!

Comment

Not an Audi fan at all, except if they are fast wagons!
                        This one looks so clean, it's almost new!

Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
                        Thought I would show you guys what parts availability looks like for this platform. These are the only coilovers you can buy today, from 2Bennett in California. Check out this 1997 website!!

For this price I think you can make a custom set because I don't think they are made for going low

Comment

I've been dailying the car to work, etc for the last 2 weeks and it's been going pretty well so far. Chasing a misfire at idle and under part/low throttle situations the car will sometimes surge. Runs great at WOT. To make matters a little more interesting, the car is on VEMS standalone management, so it looks like I'm gonna have to get familiarized with ECU tuning.

Tried out this stuff called Sonax Spray & Seal, pretty impressed. It's a little pricey ($20 a bottle will get you maybe 4 applications) but it takes about 2 minutes to apply. Wash car, keep it wet, mist on body panels, rinse thoroughly. I applied it to the S5 and decided to do the Avant as well, just for fun.

One of the pre-existing conditions the car had when we negotiated the sale was that the speedometer didn't work. Before I picked it up, the previous owner replaced the ring in the transmission, which made the speedo work again but intermittently. It would bounce around and drop back to zero during moderate to hard acceleration, and sometimes just not work at all. Sometimes working in an auto parts distribution center pays off -- we happened to have the vehicle speed sensor on the shelf, so I picked it up for $10 and we replaced it. Look how grimy the old one was. Problem solved!

Haven't felt like dealing with hot coolant after work this week, but the old coolant reservoir looks hideous and is so cloudy you can't see how much coolant you have. It's just barely starting to seep as these reservoirs are notorious for doing. Picked up a new one because why not?

This car has a Stromung exhaust, which for some reason people go insane about. It's the only quality aftermarket option for Ur-S cars, in my opinion not at all worth $1500+ because it's incredibly quiet and my muffler shop special custom exhaust on my sedan sounded way better, but that's beside the point. The tips were disgusting and past the point of no return if I wanted to keep the chrome. Wetsanded with 2000 grit and they're a nice brushed looking finish. I'm very tempted to do another ghetto straight pipe to dual tip on the Avant so I can sell the Stromung for $$$$.

We got all the cars together for a family photo! Well, sorta.

Finally.... Car phone, who dis? By the way, undecided on wheels for this thing. Really leaning towards something modular, German, and period correct. Any suggestions?

Comment

I love how I only keep up with the little naunces of your car from your build thread! I didn't know any of this until that coolant reservoir showed up on our doorstep haha. As for that sealant, I call dibs on using it on the Focus this weekend!

As for wheels, I know you're a sucker for period-correct Euro! I think some Porsche Cup wheels, OZ Futuras, or even a set of Fuchs (Too bad we just sold mine, but they'd be too small anyways.) would be cool. I almost said BBS LM but ehhhh idk. The avant has such a big butt I want big strong wheels on it. Borbet Type A? I don't know. Something weird. Look at this big low daddy!

I love you!
                            Last edited by Kenz; 04-10-2019, 08:01 AM.

Static 1986 Guards Red NA Porsche 944
                            P O R S C H E P A I ~
                            The Poor Woman's Porsche

@kenznotmercedes

Comment

In my opinion this needs something BIG, do you want to keep period correct tyre sizes or just period correct design?
                              I would like something like porsche turbos on it (etabeta or maybe artec?) or carline cm6s, but in 18-19 size. But that is just in the "euro classic" category, I think something jdm and nuts would look crazy on this big dadwagon

Comment

Working...
                              X