This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBS RS2 Stripped Bolt. Help!

hello there, im hoping i can get some help. I have a set of BBS RS2s. I was able to remove all the bolts except for the air valve bolt, seems as if they were stripped from the previous owner. If you didnt know, RS2s come with a hidden air valve that is built into one of the bolts. it just so happened that 3 out 4 of my wheels have a stripped air valve bolt. I know the rest of the bolts are titanium but im not sure if the air valve is titanium as well. Should I swallow the bullet and bring it to a machine shop (trying to keep cost as low as possible) or try with an extractor kit.

here are some options i am considering.

IMG-4466.jpg

It is not Ti. If you have previous used an extractor (successfully) then yes, get them out.
    Make sure to soak them in penetrating oil and use heat. You will need replacement air valves.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

extract it as Zoo stated and you can get replacements. just make sure you use the correct bit size for the extractor and be very slow with your approach. if you slip, you'll need to move up one size to the next bit and extractor.. usually the o ring on the inside of that valve is no good anyway, so its worth replacing all four valves while you're rebuilding.

the other thing you can do if you have the right tools is get a reverse threaded m6 tap and a single bolt to match.. tap the hole, screw the bolt into that threaded hole and then backwards tighten (loosening the valve). obviously the reverse threads will act as a loosening agent when you tighten the bolt onto the valve. sorry if that was a confusing sentence.
      sigpic
      1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
      1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

thank you for the help! I have never had to use an extractor before so i am a little worried about damaging the threads inside the barrel. Ill try and be cautious as possible, it seems almost impossible to find the replacement parts. every where that has the part is across the world in Europe. does anyone know where i can get this part in US? BBS Titanium Jaguar Valve with Cap Cover for BBS Wheels 09.15.071

Comment

What I did was slowly step up drill bit sizes until just the head came off. Then, with the center removed, there was enough of a stub remaining to grab with vice grips.

Comment

did you use a special drill bit set? i have a titanium drill bit set that cuts through metals with ease, its a slippery slope, but do you think i should use that?

Comment

Hi, sorry for using this thread, cause i cant create my own yet.. :-) So can I ask here:

Do you guys know if there is a difference of concave shape between RS2 700 and 704?

They both have same ET22. When i searched 704, some rims appeared like in same shape as Rs700. But some looks like straight wheels, so so they came in concave and non-concave version or it just appears on photo like two versions.

I am asking, because i have a combination of RS2 - front RS 700 (5x120 + drilled 5x100) and rear Rs 705 (5x112 + drilled 5x100).

I would like to use them as 5x112 and on the fronts I dont want to use adapters. So if i will find some RS704, will they be same?

Thank you!
              Last edited by Lukeptak; 01-15-2020, 03:33 PM.

Comment

704 is not concave, it is a flat profile face.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Working...
                X