Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Miss Phillips" 1956 Ford Customline Victoria Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Fruttolo View Post
    That last pic makes me think about the "we have to go back" meme from back to the future
    Drive one, the model 3 is fantastic, especially the Performance model like the one pictured

Well yesterday was eventful. I drove her up to work as Dad and i had planned to during lunch put the timing light on and verify the timing Well come lunch time Dad was on a conference call that was running over, so i decided id go out and grab some food beforehand. Drove over to chik fila, about 2-3 miles away, pull around the building and get in line. Person in front pulls up so i pull up. I notice the brakes dont work all that great, thought that was kinda funny and maybe it was in my head. Well, line moves up again, this time, i cautiously move forward, and im barely able to stop, even having to put it into neutral as brakes wouldn't even hold while sitting in drive. Next time the cars pull up i pull put the line, very timidly and have ZERO brakes. none. pedal goes to the floor. Right out the drive thru line to the right are angles parking spots so i aim for an open one, door open, foot dragging doing everything i can to scrub off speed. In our local chik fila the cement declines every so slightly into the parking spots from the drive thru lane. Much to my no-surprise i pick up speed, foot dragging doing nothing other than ruining my shoe lol. Rt front wheel slams into the square curb, goes halfway up, ALMOST over, and comes back down and i slam it into park. "successfully" parked and no damage.

I ended up having to go bang on the door and get my food as we are under shelter in place, drive thru only yada yada. Mom came and picked me up and brought me back to work. Tow truck was sent to pick her up and bring her back so we could see what the hell happened. I looked underneath and no wetspots, leaks from what i could see. Few minutes after getting back to the shop i get a text from my buddy of the car passing him on the tow truck.

IMG_6983 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_2342 by lawrx, on Flickr

After we got it back to the shop we lifted it up and saw no signs of leaks, line burst etc. lowered it back down, popped the top off the master cylinder, WELP FOUND THE PROBLEM. no fluid. Poured some fluid in and pedal instantly came back. At this point thats all we have done. We need to pull the wheels off and bleed the brakes. Then trace down how the fluid evacuated the system. Ill likely do that, then order all new wheel cylinders and and a master cylinder, as well as any damaged/leaking part we find. i DO NOT ever want to experience that again, even if it was just at 1-2 mph. I prolly wouldnt be here right now if this had happened on the road to and from as its a 30-40mph speed limit and decent traffic. Would not have ended well.

IMG_6985 by lawrx, on Flickr

Oh crap!
    That's a scary thing, lucky it was at slow speed. I had the same problem with one of my cars - went on a 2 week business trip, came back to absolutely no pedal feel and an empty fluid reservoir, no leaks, no burst lines. Still don't know what happened, brakes worked when filled and bled and again no leaks. Car is parked now until I figure it out.
    Hope you find the culprit soon enough.
    "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
    Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Maybe there is some black-market second-hand brake fluid thing we don't know about. Like crackheads stealing copper wire from abandoned houses.

How is the cabinet paint holding up? Did you use regular latex paint?

Lifted her up this week end and popped the wheels off to attempt to trace down any issues/leaks. Found nothing. I see the front brake lines were somewhat recently changed. The only consensus is when they changed the lines, they lost some fluid and didnt top it off or bleed it. IDK, my search found nothing so i found myself pondering how the future bag setup would work. The upper control arms are painfully close to the motor due to their design. Fabbing some brackets that sit substantially forward would clear up room for the future motor swap, as well as declutter the engine bay.

I also popped off one of the rear wheel covers to look under. I intend to run these hubcaps with some slightly adjust wheel sizes. Measuring the rear, i have nearly 2'' on the inside and outside after some massaging of the flange. Which is PLENTY of room to fit a 275 section width tire. The fronts also have apple room, an additional 3'' outboard from there current location. like stick to a smaller 225-235 size tire. Honestly i would be fine with the current 205s, but i will be upgrading to disc brakes, and that with how heavy this car is i want some grip to be able to slow down in emergency situations if needed.

IMG_7007 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7008 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7011 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7012 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7009 by lawrx, on Flickr