No announcement yet.

Here We Go Again- Building Another Audi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So finally the post we've all been waiting for!! I got a call last night that the car was done being painted and that I should come check it out.

These pics were prior to any polishing, I think some light wet sanding had been done in certain areas though.

For a budget paint job I'm very pleased with the outcome. It's not perfect, and because he didn't blend in with the doors the match isn't 100% seamless, but given my tight budget constraints and the cost of the project I think It'll still be pretty nice. Plan is to pick it up Friday, and hopefully get it put back together this weekend!

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
    "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
    SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

thank you for your input

Comment

So I got the car home a put some work into it this weekend. I was having some trouble with the passenger headlight; first off, I found out that I accidentally purchased an AFS headlight. The eBay ad never specified and seeing as it was literally the cheapest used xenon without major damage I just assumed it wasn't, my bad. Both my original ballasts from that side (xenon and drl) got pretty banged up so I ended up replacing the xenon ballast with one from a MK7 GTI (it was free) and luckily the LED ballast actually worked fine so I just sealed the crack in the housing so moisture doesn't get in.

Next thing was getting the light mounted, but I ran into an issue because this bracket was bent in the crash and it was pushing the bottom of the fender in too far as a result

I bent the brace back the best I could (it's a curved piece to it's hard to tell where it was originally) I also shimmed it and messed around with the brackets on the light as well getting it from 7mm to 3mm off of the measurement of the driver's side

(peep the tinted reflector [] )

It's not perfect, but it's about the same as the driver's side now so I will begin adjusting both of the lights to close up the gaps as there is a larger gap at the top of the light I forgot to picture.

I did a few other things that I forgot to photograph, small things like adding these rubber grommets to the radiator mounts

I also test fitted one of my wheels on the A7 parts car as I'll be swapping over the A7s 2-piston calipers and 356mm rotors as I hear it's a direct swap. They're so close to fitting, looks like I'll need a 5mm spacer though haha

I'll probably paint them, just don't know what color yet. (and yes I'll do something about the curb rash on the wheels lol)

And just for kicks I mocked up the front bumper

Comment

Looking good painted, glad you are able to get things lined up so well.
          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
            Looking good painted, glad you are able to get things lined up so well.
            Thanks man! Aligning the body panels was definitely a pain but I'm satisfied with the results. The headlights are like 90% right now, a few more tweaks and they should be good

Comment

Check my site

Comment

You're making some good progress!

Comment

Originally posted by malik0272 View Post
                  You're making some good progress!
                  Thanks!

So small update, school has been consuming most of my time but I've been tinkering with the car here and there when I can. One of the main issues has been the headlights. Beyond not being totally satisfied with the fitment yet, I've also had a "Headlight Range Control Defective" error popping up on the dash that simply would not clear as well as a parking brake malfunction warning. The range control error is a result of the replacement headlight being AFS, and as this error pops up on the dash I was worried that it would be reason for the car to fail inspection. The parking brake warning perplexed me because it was functioning perfectly fine.

Clearing code was no help as I mentioned so I studied the fuse diagrams and found that 1) I was missing fuse #8 on the driver's side panel (related to multiple things including electro-mechanical parking brake) so I replaced it, and 2) I removed fuse #12 which is for headlight control and parking system. The result was an error free dash!Only issues are that as a result of pulling fuse #12 my parking sensors are now disabled (camera still works) and I don't have headlight leveling (It didn't work previously though). Should be adequate to pass inspection though and then I'll either save up for another light or wait and get E-codes.

In other news my 5mm spacers arrived

So I can put these bad boys on

I'm thinking of waiting to install these until my stock pads are worn, but will see haha

Also since getting Carista I have done a few coding mods- enabled ADS, tail lights as DRLs, mirror tilt in reverse, ambient lighting, disabled amber side markers. Couple more I want to go back and do later tho.

Next order of business is to fix this water leak

It's coming from this fitting that goes from the coolant res. to the top of the radiator, I think it's a manufacturing defect in the radiator but hopefully some teflon tape will take care of it

Once I do that and obsess over headlight fitment again, and get a new hood latch (mine is bent beyond repair) the car will go back together completely lol.

Comment

Loving the constant progression of this thing. Is the plan just to daily this or will it be sort of a project also?
                    2 328i e36's
                    Saabaru linear 2.5na
                    Various projects.
                    sigpic
                    Intro;
                    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...19#post1598619

Comment

Originally posted by Quillhill36 View Post
                      Loving the constant progression of this thing. Is the plan just to daily this or will it be sort of a project also?
                      Thanks! The plan is to daily it once I get it road worthy, but I am going to continue to mod it as well.

Since it will be a daily the mods will be carefully thought out as I don't want to get into a stock version of the car and think "darn, I ruined mine a little" haha. But the goal is to eventually cover all the bases to one degree or another.

Comment

Coils/wheels/ducktail/end thread. Haha I really do like these and they're easy to mod tastefully. Not cheap necessarily but awesome nonetheless.
                        2 328i e36's
                        Saabaru linear 2.5na
                        Various projects.
                        sigpic
                        Intro;
                        http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...19#post1598619

Comment

So it would seem that I'm pretty terrible at remembering to update this but the car is now on the road. To make a longish story short, the car failed inspection the first time because the coolant leak returned (turns out I didn't have the line all the way on the rad), the wipers and horn didn't work (remember when I pulled that fuse for the headlight leveling?), and some screws were missing from the under tray. But after some minor wrenching and a new (used) non-AFS headlight, the car passed!

I've put ~300 miles on it so far and it's been great, here are some pics!

THIS IS NOT THE END!

From here on this thread will continue to document maintenance, mods, and any thing else I do to the car. Next thing the car needs is an alignment as well as some recall work at the dealership. After that I'll just continue to enjoy the car as is until my wallet recovers a little bit[>_<]

Comment

Yay to getting her on the road! I love these B8.5s lights. Following to see how these age, I've always wanted an A4 Avant.

Comment

This thing is gorgeous!!
                              Some people will never understand it, why we do what we do.
                              The busted knuckles and the late nights in the garage;
                              it's more than a hobby or pastime, it's a lifestyle. We live it."

Instagram: @Stance_God
                              My 93' EG Sedan Build ( Daily )
                              My FC3S RX-7 Build

Comment

Looks great, love the contrast of the grey sport seats against the black.
                                Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

Working...
                                X