I've got a dream: BMW powered RatRod/T-bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to take another turn in the engine build:

Speeduino will also be releasing nitrous controls in it's next firmware update :-)

Comment

say whaaaatttt??? way cool. how much power are you hoping for with nitrous?

Comment

this is pure madness, and I love it!
        Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

Are you going to have room for the coil pack harness with the spike valve cover bolts?
          Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

Originally posted by mk3f.t.w. View Post
            say whaaaatttt??? way cool. how much power are you hoping for with nitrous?
            Shown above is a wet shot, I'm currently changing the fuel solenoid over to a 2nd n20 solenoid for a second stage. 1st stage will be 60hp & 2nd will be 150hp. Speeduino just released 2 stage nitrous controls in the software that will increase injector pulsewidth and retard timing while active. I'll need to change out injectors for larger flowing ones. The idea for the nitrous was to cool IAT for short blasts, I'll likely downsize jets to keep it manageable.

Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
            Are you going to have room for the coil pack harness with the spike valve cover bolts?
            I've run them before on a similar design engine, it's tight but it fits. Plug the coils in first then bolt them down.

Comment

Great work!! Await updates!

Comment

I've got this plan. Turn these forum posts into youtube updates and a series documenting the progress of the build. First one will be of the engine, next one will be fishing the transmission out of the donor car and mating it to the engine. 3rd will be the ordering of the T bucket kit from Speedway. Then unboxing...etc.

Once the car is together enough to run, it'll be time to start tuning and working the kinks out. Then comes the entire plot of the series; Take my home built hot rod on a road trip. Leaving my little Arizona town and cruising to Los Angeles (where I lived in 2011-2013). Visit some of my old LA hang outs, join the Hwy 1 in Santa Monica and cruise the 1 all the way up north to San Francisco (where I grew up) and beyond, Bodega Bay. Visiting old memories and making new ones. Making video updates from each coastal town and view along the way. Tuning the EFI on the road, fixing things that break on the side of the road. Meeting people along the way. The restaurants and food...

Does making videos mean anyone will care, nah. But I'm going to do it anyways. My biggest concern is the amount of down time in between progress as funds allow. Working a $30k day job means that things like the $4k kit car will take months of saving up for it. $1200 worth of brakes is a couple months...etc. Still going to do it.

Comment

Started tearing apart the donor car. My used and abused HE53 E34 540i/6. I'll transfer over the Spec lightweight flywheel & clutch over to the M62 after a rear main seal install. Then bolt the Getrag 420g to the back of the M62. I'll try to utilize as many parts from the E34 as I can, part out the rest and recycle the shell.

Due to a massive oil leak from to a stripped out cam cap stud for the valve cover hold down, and the fact I just removed & sold the differential the car needed a little nudge from my truck to get into the shop.

Comment

Now I have to powdercoat all my XJR bits.
                    Mercedes:
                    93' 190E Sportline
                    80' 450SEL 6.9
                    67' 250SE

Comment

Originally posted by Mykk View Post
                      I've got this plan. Turn these forum posts into youtube updates and a series documenting the progress of the build. First one will be of the engine, next one will be fishing the transmission out of the donor car and mating it to the engine. 3rd will be the ordering of the T bucket kit from Speedway. Then unboxing...etc.

Once the car is together enough to run, it'll be time to start tuning and working the kinks out. Then comes the entire plot of the series; Take my home built hot rod on a road trip. Leaving my little Arizona town and cruising to Los Angeles (where I lived in 2011-2013). Visit some of my old LA hang outs, join the Hwy 1 in Santa Monica and cruise the 1 all the way up north to San Francisco (where I grew up) and beyond, Bodega Bay. Visiting old memories and making new ones. Making video updates from each coastal town and view along the way. Tuning the EFI on the road, fixing things that break on the side of the road. Meeting people along the way. The restaurants and food...

Does making videos mean anyone will care, nah. But I'm going to do it anyways. My biggest concern is the amount of down time in between progress as funds allow. Working a $30k day job means that things like the $4k kit car will take months of saving up for it. $1200 worth of brakes is a couple months...etc. Still going to do it.
                      great work so far, that engine looks awesome. what is the name of the channel? would love to follow your journey man.

Comment

Originally posted by C2_mad View Post
                        great work so far, that engine looks awesome. what is the name of the channel? would love to follow your journey man.

Comment

Picked up a rear end yesterday. Jaguar IRS, I haven't fully identified it quite yet but I'm under the impression it's a '75-87' XJ6 Salisbury unit, I'll know more once I count the gear ratio. If it's 2.88 gears it's an 80's unit and if it's 3.31 it's a 70's unit.

It was already mounted in a project at some point in time as it's been uncaged and has aftermarket lower control arm tie bars.

Here's what one of these units looks like mounted in a T-bucket frame:

I had never seen one of these rears before until I was at the Roadkill Zip-Tie Drags in Tucson Az last January, there was one of these rear ends in the custom truck next to me in the staging lanes. We even got a pass together but decided to make it a burn out contest, he won the burnout contest.

I was so mind blown that the axle act's as the upper control arm. When I started researching T-buckets I saw that it was popular to use these rears in T's and that was it. I had to make it happen.

Comment

Awesome! Will you be using the E34's strut and parallelogram steering, or going with a more traditional "hot-rod" front end?

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

Originally posted by CSBolger View Post
                              Awesome! Will you be using the E34's strut and parallelogram steering, or going with a more traditional "hot-rod" front end?
                              It'll be the suicide style solid axle & early ford kingpins and spindles. Traditional T front end. I've kind of pushed my limit of anything E34 I can use on the T bucket.

Comment

Speedway Motors 1923 Standard T-bucket body has arrived, I can lift it with a pinky finger

Comment

Working...
                                X