Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I've got a dream: BMW powered RatRod/T-bucket

Quote Originally Posted by C2_mad View Post
    great work so far, that engine looks awesome. what is the name of the channel? would love to follow your journey man.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzPYmNx3jTQ

Picked up a rear end yesterday. Jaguar IRS, I haven't fully identified it quite yet but I'm under the impression it's a '75-87' XJ6 Salisbury unit, I'll know more once I count the gear ratio. If it's 2.88 gears it's an 80's unit and if it's 3.31 it's a 70's unit.

It was already mounted in a project at some point in time as it's been uncaged and has aftermarket lower control arm tie bars.

Here's what one of these units looks like mounted in a T-bucket frame:

I had never seen one of these rears before until I was at the Roadkill Zip-Tie Drags in Tucson Az last January, there was one of these rear ends in the custom truck next to me in the staging lanes. We even got a pass together but decided to make it a burn out contest, he won the burnout contest.

I was so mind blown that the axle act's as the upper control arm. When I started researching T-buckets I saw that it was popular to use these rears in T's and that was it. I had to make it happen.

Awesome! Will you be using the E34's strut and parallelogram steering, or going with a more traditional "hot-rod" front end?

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Quote Originally Posted by CSBolger View Post
    Awesome! Will you be using the E34's strut and parallelogram steering, or going with a more traditional "hot-rod" front end?
    It'll be the suicide style solid axle & early ford kingpins and spindles. Traditional T front end. I've kind of pushed my limit of anything E34 I can use on the T bucket.

Speedway Motors 1923 Standard T-bucket body has arrived, I can lift it with a pinky finger

Reproduction '32 Ford grill, cheaply made but not so cheap to purchase. But I can now guilt free cut it up to work in the application.

Oh, yes.

Wow!

Will it be flat low like in this mockup or old school raked?

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Quote Originally Posted by Fruttolo View Post
    ...Will it be flat low like in this mockup or old school raked?
    Unfortunately no. As you can see the body is un-channeled, intentionally as I'm a big guy and need as much foot space as possible. I was heavily considering a double Z'd frame but that too would just bring the drivetrain further up into the body. I'll put it together using a traditional T straight frame with kicked up rear for the diff. I'd like the rear ride height so the axles are straight. I fear any lower would point the axles upwards at the wheels and look ridiculous and rake down a couple of inch's to the front, not anything drastic like the fad T's of the 80's

Quote Originally Posted by Fruttolo View Post
    ...Will it be flat low like in this mockup or old school raked?
    Unfortunately no. As you can see the body is un-channeled, intentionally as I'm a big guy and need as much foot space as possible. I was heavily considering a double Z'd frame but that too would just bring the drivetrain further up into the body. I'll put it together using a traditional T straight frame with kicked up rear for the diff. I'd like the rear ride height so the axles are straight. I fear any lower would point the axles upwards at the wheels and look ridiculous and rake down a couple of inch's to the front, not anything drastic like the fad T's of the 80's

Cleaning up the rear end. A couple of cans of degreaser, a pressure washer and a couple hours with a wire wheel it wasn't perfect but acceptable enough for paint.

Last edited by Mykk; 08-27-2018 at 07:43 AM.

What a wheel/tyre combo *_*

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Thank you, admittedly the tire is wide for the wheel. A 12" wide wheel would have been a better choice, but I'll run what I've got for now

Looks great. Speedway is a good company and make excellent steel wheels also, not sure what pattern you have but they can easily be redrilled. Would be cool to have a set of 12wides just to mess with, cheap too
    2 328i e36's
    Saabaru linear 2.5na
    Various projects.

Intro;
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...19#post1598619

17. Default

What a build... Sheesh.

I love where this is headed.

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Small wheels and tyres I see

Just keeps getting better and better
    My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Incredible build. What are you using for headers/exhaust? It looks similar to the factory setup.

Quote Originally Posted by anti-seize View Post
    Incredible build. What are you using for headers/exhaust? It looks similar to the factory setup.
    They are BMW S65 exhaust manifolds flipped upside down to clear the T-bucket cab and point to the side. I figured I would do an absorption muffler welded directly to the end of the manifolds and leave them out in the open pointing out. So far my favorite absorption muffler on the market is Borla and the XR1's have a round case that'll work for what I'm thinking. It'll still be all that is unholy loud, I just hope to take some of the rasp out of the exhaust note.
    Last edited by Mykk; 09-04-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Front end parts on order. I've decided to piece the chassis together myself instead of a pre-fab. More pics as things arrive and get assembled:

46" wide drilled & 4" drop front axle.

Drilled split wishbone radius arms.

1940's ford spindles & kingpins

Disc brake brackets, rotors & calipers

15" x 5" American Racing VN502 wheels to match the rears

Firestone 155/8-15 front tires.

Still need front leaf spring, shackles & radius arm spring pivots/eyelets & friction shocks.

A few more parts coming in:

Front wheels & tires, front axle, spindles & kingpins, front disc brakes. Split wishbones still in transit. Still need to order leaf spring, shackles & steering linkage