I've got a dream: BMW powered RatRod/T-bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got a dream: BMW powered RatRod/T-bucket

Hey guys, here's a few pics from my latest project. I started putting this engine together to go into my BMW E34 540i/6. But as I got moving along with it I shifted gears and decided to go an entirely different route. I want to build an old school hot rod based around the '23-'27 T-bucket, I'm picturing a modded drop frame. Drop solid front axle. Jaguar independent rear end. BMW V8 & BMW Getrag 6spd manual trans. Track-T, deluxe or turtle deck T body. 32 or 33 x 17.5 thru 22x15 (or bigger) rear wheels.

The current project:

Late 90's BMW 4.4L M62 shortblock with RaceWare head studs:

Early 90's 4.0L M60B40 from a 7 series to donate it's heads & cams, double roller chain timing set up and other misc hardware:

Double timing gears, idler & guides on the M62:

M62 pistons sit +.025" above deck, found roughly 4cc of dish in piston crowns.

Cylinder heads back from machine shop for rebuild:

Measured 52cc in chamber volume:

Belt driven intake manifold, Late 90's Jaguar Eaton M112 supercharger (GenV), also using the jaguar water to air intercoolers and injectors/manifolds:

Setting up cam timing:

Found the O.E. cam timing made for an 108° ICL & 108° LSA with 211° Int / 206° Exh durations @ 1mm valve lift. 9.65mm Int lift/ 9.4mm exhaust lift. I've now set cam timings for a more boost friendly 110° ICL & 112° LSA

In order for the supercharger to sit on the adapters for the BMW heads it needed a few mods:

Pulled off, flipped and pressed back on pulley:

My measured specs:
    Engine: 92mm bore x 82.7mm stroke, 143mm rods.
    Pistons: +.025" above deck, 4cc dish
    Heads : 52cc chamber volume
    Head Gasket: MLS 1.74mm compressed thickness
    Static compression: 9.6:1
    Naturally aspirated dynamic compression using modified IVC degree: 7.94:1 (at my living altitude)
    Target boost with Eaton M112: 8-10psi

Plugging all my info into a dyno sim:

Last edited by Mykk; 10-31-2018, 06:12 PM.

For engine management I've decided on an opensource DIY system called Speeduino, uses an Arduino Mega2560 controller.

I've test fitted the EFI system to my running E34 540i with it's original M60B40 4.0L V8.

Since Speeduino has 4 injector channels and 4 ignition logic out the V8 will be run in waste spark and semi-batch fire by pairing up the two cylinders that are 360° apart.

On the car I converted the BMW C.O.P over to two 4 cylinder waste spark coils using all MSD products. On the supercharged M62 I think I'll keep the C.O.P's but run two MSD DIS-4s triggered by two Bosch 211 modules to convert 5v logic out to ground to fire MSD's

Using the engines original VR sensors I loaded up firmwares, loaded the Arduino Sketch, wrote a base tune. Fired it up and since speeduino uses TunerStudioMS I let the system self tune the VE map for me based on wideband input:

First fire up and first test drive:

Last edited by Mykk; 06-16-2018, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Another experiment I wanted to play with was a digital dash by way of on-board carputer using a RaspberryPi

Still tinkering with the idea, but with the use of a GPS sensor and wire in Oil pressure sensor and fuel level to Speeduino I could just simply run a dash screen in the hot rod without any gauges.

Comment

Comment

well done. thats some excellent fab work and I'm digging the arduino setup. I've built 2 MS cars and working on a 3rd now

Comment

This is some serious work, love what ive read so far
            My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
            http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

That engine setup is rad, cant wait to see more of this one.
              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

oh man this is rad.

love the open source ecu and the digital dash running on Raspberry Pi

Comment

whoa, I can't wait to see this thing sitting in a t-bucket, and I can't imagine how gnarly its gonna sound

Comment

so bad ass

Comment

Top work man

Comment

Most of the engine build and wiring is way over my head, but I love the fact that it will all be crammed into an old chassis.

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

HOLY! This is a serious build!

Comment

In to see this one done

Comment

this is great. Love all the arduino stuff. Inspirational. I need to learn some of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X