No announcement yet.

I could only afford half an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell yeah! Woodcraft makes some quality stuff. Also I love those grips on my Scrambler, best damn upgrade I've ever done.

We still need to do a proper bike photoshoot soon.
    Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
    2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

this is soooo good. i would live a vintage BMW bike to go with my e30!
      Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

Originally posted by theseeker411 View Post
        Hell yeah! Woodcraft makes some quality stuff. Also I love those grips on my Scrambler, best damn upgrade I've ever done.

We still need to do a proper bike photoshoot soon.
        I just got done riding it a little for the first time and those grips are ammmazing. Honestly I thought they were just gonna be a gimmick but I figured whats $20 and I'm super glad I got them.
        Come to So Cal Vintage and we can shoot!

Originally posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
        this is soooo good. i would live a vintage BMW bike to go with my e30!
        Thanks dude! So far I've had a blast with it and would encourage most to get one if the opportunity presents itself!
        Bagged MKIV R32
        1983 BMW R80
        @Zachbox

Comment

DSC05040-Edit

Since I lowered the headlight by cutting the bracket, it hit the middle triple clamp causing it point about 20 degrees up... which I'm sure you can imagine isn't very good for any sort of vehicle, nevertheless a motorcycle.
          So like any sensible human being would do, I looked into getting a new headlight!

As I'm sure much of you know, German engineers like to build their products very integrated. Making some modifications more difficult than they should. Well my bike is no different. The fuse panel is located inside the headlight assembly.

DSC06524

And with my zero experience with wiring anything short of an aftermarket radio, I'm in over my head.
          Since I'm "starting from scratch" per say in the experience department, I decided to just take the harness out as a whole instead of just cutting off what I don't need. I didn't want to cut or remove anything that I'd end up regretting later.

DSC06543

So now that the harness is completely out I can focus on getting a new headlight on it.
          Aftermarket headlights are often a little gaudy for my taste. Especially on a older bike.

After doing some research, I found out that the new BMW R9T's headlight has a roundel insignia inside of it and new that was the one.
          I matched that with some matching headlight brackets from Speed Moto Co.

IMG_5479

DSC07634

DSC07647

Next, I have to get some sort of smaller bracket made to coverty wrap behind and below the headlight to attach it.
          Of course I naturally came across "while I'm here I might as well replace this" multiple times so I have all new hand controls and shorter cables on their way!
          Bagged MKIV R32
          1983 BMW R80
          @Zachbox

Comment

i like your head light brackets, looks real slick

Comment

I love this entire thread. Cannot wait to see more of it!
              Cars, Food & Coffee

Instagram: @carsfoodandcoffee | Youtube: Cars, Food & Coffee

Comment

So the headlight and rewire gig didn't go exactly as I planned...

To attach the new BMW R9t headlight I was required to buy a different triple clamp that will be expensive and that has no guarantee of working even with modification. So to not further delay getting this thing back on the road I opted on buying a smaller headlight and tackle that project later.

I'll have to work on better headlight bracket spacers but these white ones will work for the time being.

DSC00906

Since I decided to delete a lot of the electronics on this bike I was able to clean up the bars significantly. No turn signal switches, horn buttons, wiring, or choke cable. Just clutch, front brake, and throttle. I also grabbed new fork stem hardware just to clean it up a little bit. As far as the levers, master cylinder, and throttle I went with Magura parts since they also made the OEM parts that were on the bike

DSC00909

DSC00911

I don't have a photo of them but I also grabbed two individual choke cables that sit an inch above each carb.

Looking into the two or three different options when it comes to rewiring an older bike, I decided to go with the MotoGadget M Unit Blue. This little device is basically a mini computer and can all be programmed via blue tooth with my phone. Part of the reason I went this route is due to not having any controls so it was nice to be able to set up certain things to be on with just the power of the ignition. The other part is I can use my phone as the key. The bike won't start unless I'm next to it.

Using a combination of the OEM diagram, a M Unit diagram that Revival Cycles created, and a bunch of YouTube videos to finally got the wiring all squared away. I won't bore you with the 200+ iPhone photos of that whole process due to them being confusing without any context of what you're looking at.

DSC00931

DSC00938

If anybody reading this ever builds a cafe'd BMW airhead, the charge light delete from Boxer Metal is a must. Due to not having an instrument cluster or a "charge" light that needs to remain illuminated at all times, the bikes charging system as a whole can fail due to the lack of resistance. Boxer Metal sells a handy little posi tip connector to keep everything still clean and simple.

Annyyy who.

I grabbed a bunch of wiring loom material to group multiple wires together and almost give it a newer OEM look.

DSC00923

DSC00918

DSC00936

Last but not least, the starter button. I routed it right next to one of the holes a stud from the gas tank is secured through. Once the tank is on, the button to start the bike will be completely hidden.

DSC00942
                Last edited by Zachbox; 11-23-2020, 07:45 PM.
                Bagged MKIV R32
                1983 BMW R80
                @Zachbox

Comment

I've bean waiting on an update on this thread to bad about the headlight and triple clamp the wiring looks really good

Comment

Originally posted by The Norwegian View Post
                    I've bean waiting on an update on this thread to bad about the headlight and triple clamp the wiring looks really good
                    I'm stoked you've been looking forward to it! It's been a blast working on it and I'm stoked to be able to share it. ha and yeahhh. the triple clamp situation will totally work out at some point I just gotta tackle some other things first before giving that any more attention.
                    Bagged MKIV R32
                    1983 BMW R80
                    @Zachbox

Comment

So while rewiring the bike I shorted out some parts of my charging system without knowing it. I found out mid ride when it shut off on me.

After doing some research, I removed the charging cover while the battery was still hooked up which is a huge no. Part of the diode board that sits right behind it is easily shorted out and it's almost impossible to remove the charging cover without touching it. So I bought a new diode board and found myself stranded once again. After a mile ride back home sitting on my bike in the back of a 1974 chevy panel van. This time due to the alternator.

DSC01982

DSC01984

EuroMotoElectronics offers a charging system that operates way better than the stock charging system. It also gets rid of the voltage regulator, diode board, and charging light as a whole.

DSC02002

DSC01989

DSC01987

The kit actually uses an alternator and rectifier regulator from a Ducati with an adapter plate to sit exactly where the OEM alternator sat.

DSC01992

DSC02008

The rectifier regulator which takes the place of the diode board (converting ac power to dc power) now needed a spot. Since this kit now removes the voltage regulator from the equation, the rectifier found the voltage regulator's old stomping grounds to the left of the frame.

DSC02010

The wiring for the rectifier to the rest of the bike isn't the prettiest since it is so long. I just wanted to make sure everything worked before trimming things down and making them look more aesthetically pleasing.

I have about 20 miles on the bike which is about 15+ more than I've gotten in the past! At every stop my phone still reads that the bike has 12.5v+ and reaves up to 13.5v+ when I give it gas which is way more than it did before. After I have some more miles on it I'm sure I'll take it back apart and make it look a tad bit better.

DSC02029

fingers crossed I don't have to sit on my bike while sitting in the back of that '74 panel van again...
                      Last edited by Zachbox; 01-27-2021, 11:40 PM.
                      Bagged MKIV R32
                      1983 BMW R80
                      @Zachbox

Comment

thank you for not getting one of those ghetto ebay projector retrofit headlights with built in blinkers. your work on the bike is very good. love seeing updates on this

Comment

So I decided to paint my tank and rear cowl. My paint was definitely old but doable since the rest of the bike is also lookin a little old.
                          But being the responsible person I am, I decided to go for something like this instead of fixing something logical.

Truth be told have a friend that works in a paint booth and was nice enough to let me spray it myself with his close guidance. So it didn't cost as much as fixing something logical. Well... at least that's what I tell myself.

So I removed the roundels and started sanding it by hand because I have absolutely no idea what I am doing.

DSC07042

DSC07046

Then after showing a couple people they suggested something more logical (that seems to be a reoccurring theme)

A power sander

DSC07063

So in half the time I sanded it all down to bare metal.

DSC07091

DSC07098

DSC07100

DSC07101

So I got a quick chance to lay down a layer of primer as a test to the seat cowl while he helped smooth out some of the imperfections I didn't know the tank possessed.

DSC07129

DSC07131

Next I applied a dark base coat

DSC07150

DSC07152

For the color itself, I had a couple in mind but I knew it had to be OEM. Techno Violet was my original thought and but there was another color I really wanted to find an OEM hue in.

DSC07159

DSC07162

So...

I did lay the color down and I am beyond stoked. Not only to do it myself but with out it turned out. Even under direct super vision haha

I'm going to just leave you with this until I get the chance to get some new roundels and a gas cap I really like.

DSC07167
                          Bagged MKIV R32
                          1983 BMW R80
                          @Zachbox

Comment

Wow, this is such an awesome thread! Love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nuts View Post
                              Wow, this is such an awesome thread! Love it!!
                              Thank you!!
                              Bagged MKIV R32
                              1983 BMW R80
                              @Zachbox

Comment

im an panel beater my self an work a lot with paint. that's not bad for a first time try, im pretty impressed with how it looks in the pictures

Comment

Working...
                                X