Golf MK3 16V - The Bottomless Moneypit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
    no matter how small or minor the change is, an update is an update and in most cases its the smaller details that make the build. keep up the good work.
    Originally posted by kittenpuncher View Post
    agreed 100%
    Cheers guys, yeah it's often the little things that are the most satisfying ones .

Comment

Damn if it was rusty!

Great steering wheel combo

Comment

Originally posted by DawsonLiri View Post
        Damn if it was rusty!

Great steering wheel combo
        It was indeed hahaha! Although, we all know that rust is just budget weight reduction right?

Hehe thanks mate, I notice you have a similar one yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Benjaholic View Post
          It was indeed hahaha! Although, we all know that rust is just budget weight reduction right?

Hehe thanks mate, I notice you have a similar one yourself
          Like my friends always say to me: "Rust is lighter than carbon fiber"

Yeah, same wheel but smaller and older

Comment

Cool little build man! So many people would’ve just scrapped it after dealing with rust like that so fair play!! I bought a Team Momo 300 a while back, awesome stearing wheels
            Bagged 2002 Lupo SE Project (Dead)
            1999 Polo 6N 1.4 CL Daily project

Instagram: @lewdeak

Comment

Thanks mate, yeah to be fair it should have been in a scrapyard but, like all car people, I formed an irrational emotional attachment to a lump of rusty metal hahaha. I love your JDO build by the way mate, thing is mint!

Comment

* UPDATES *

Thought it was about time for me to update this, I've been collecting parts over the past few weeks so I now have a decent little pile of things to tackle.

Firstly, I went on a work trip down to Ipswich to deliver a van to the company that makes our fridge systems that we use, I work for a company that builds refrigerated vans. Anyway, I had to go down on Friday and then pick up the van again Monday, I stayed at my relatives house in Cambridge in the meantime and thought I'd get the best use out of the free rental car and go over to Bedfordshire to pick up my new headlights.

Hella Quads - They've been sprayed satin black which I think looks quite good to be honest but I'm going to fit them at the weekend and see how they look once they've been fitted. Excuse the photos, they're not chipped, they're just dirty hahaha.

So, In that time, I also ordered these:

Smoked Side Repeaters
                VR6 Rep Splitter
                Red Stitched Gear and Handbrake Gaiters

They have all arrived now and are in a nice little pile in my room waiting to be fitted. Here are some photos, and YES, I know that the Splitter and Side Repeaters aren't OEM, but I really couldn't justify spending VW money on the splitter as I'm trying to build this on a budget as a challenge to myself

Splitter

Repeaters

Gaiters

Last edited by Benjaholic; 02-16-2018, 10:18 AM.

Comment

So, I finally got round to fitting all these parts to my car .

Had a good afternoon yesterday taking the bumper off and fitting my splitter, fitting my headlights and then doing my side repeaters too.

I'll let the photos do the speaking though

Firstly, I started off by laying out the new bits and taking a before photo (as you do haha). I took my grille off beforehand. I need to buy a new grille at a later date as most of the retainer clips are broken and it pretty much came off when I touched it hahaha.

Next, I took the bumper off and fitted the VR6 Splitter. Again, I need to order a new set of bolts and screws for the bumper as most of them are missing... I think that this is a VAST improvement on the original though.

Then it was time to tackle the headlights. Yes! you guessed it! I need to order some new screws for these too as there should be four holding each of them in place but I only had two of them for each headlight. The joys of old project car ownership eh? hahaha That being said though, for the time being they're in nice and solid. I was really happy with these as they just plugged in and worked straight away. BONUS!

Nice one of me dressed like a power chav.

Headlight out...

Me posing with my car

And then, the finished product. I fitted my number plate and then called it a day.

I absolutely love that last photo, I just wish I could clean the car, unfortunately I have no access to water or power where I am and I can't take it anywhere to wash it as it's not road legal... Hey ho. I'm off on holiday to wales next month so I'm watching my pennies but I'll hopefully be getting a set of tyres to go on after that. I'm thinking of some 195/45 R16 Toyo Proxes. Should look fairly sleek.

Ciao.

Comment

Not really much in the way of updates, as I'm waiting til payday to buy tires, but I put some gas struts on my bonnet just to keep myself occupied in the meantime .

Much cleaner.

Comment

UPDATES!!!!!!!

So, I haven't updated this in a while...

I had to save a bit of money so I could do a few jobs on the car, and afford a holiday away so I slowed progress down a little bit.

Heres a few updates to get you all up to speed...

TIRES:

TOYO Proxes T1-R 195/40/16 mounted on MK4 GTi BBS Montreal 16"s...

Yes, I know these alloys are a bit played out on MK3's but I'm gonna run them for this summer and then find something else after winter, plus, they came on the car so they were a good option to stay with...

I'm not big into the whole stretch thing, I like the look of these because they have a nice straight edge, I'm more of a function over form kinda person.

Fronts mounted...

Next came the rears, I also tackled the horrible job of finally re-attactching the sill trim :/ (What a task!)

I had a little photoshoot today, I'll let the photos do the speaking, she needs a clean, and definitely some wheel spacers to sort out the fact that the wheels look lost in the arches. She'll be going lower in the near future though so that'll help.

That's all for now folks
                      Last edited by Benjaholic; 04-05-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Hey man, love what you're doing with this ie sorting all the rust and keeping it on the road!

Had a 3dr Mk3 ABF myself, as well as the 8v and VR6, and it was by far my favourite engine out of the three. Handles well too, and the fact they reach 70mph in second gear is just silly (O2A 'box).

Not sure of your plans for the engine, or whether the following is even welcome, but my advice would be to remove the aftermarket (and somewhat bodged) cold air intake and feed. Don't know if you've ever looked on clubgti, but there has been some fairly extensive research and testing on the effectiveness of these over the standard air box. Long story short, you get no gains with that setup, and in some cases actually lose some grunt, not to mention the fact that induction kits are MAF sensor killers.

Absolutely fantastic cars in 16v guise, and following this with interest (as well as a hint of nostalgic fever). I fitted S3 brakes all round on mine, with custom rear axle stubs, resulting in both rear wheels sitting 10m further out both sides, which was an added bonus!

Good luck dude!
                        Last edited by thirtynine; 04-09-2018, 04:21 AM.

Scottish idiot with an unhealthy E39 obsession... @scumbag_mike

Comment

Classic but effective build !
                          Morette headligths or whatever you call them fits perfectly to G3 imo

Comment

Originally posted by thirtynine View Post
                            Hey man, love what you're doing with this ie sorting all the rust and keeping it on the road!

Had a 3dr Mk3 ABF myself, as well as the 8v and VR6, and it was by far my favourite engine out of the three. Handles well too, and the fact they reach 70mph in second gear is just silly (O2A 'box).

Not sure of your plans for the engine, or whether the following is even welcome, but my advice would be to remove the aftermarket (and somewhat bodged) cold air intake and feed. Don't know if you've ever looked on clubgti, but there has been some fairly extensive research and testing on the effectiveness of these over the standard air box. Long story short, you get no gains with that setup, and in some cases actually lose some grunt, not to mention the fact that induction kits are MAF sensor killers.

Absolutely fantastic cars in 16v guise, and following this with interest (as well as a hint of nostalgic fever). I fitted S3 brakes all round on mine, with custom rear axle stubs, resulting in both rear wheels sitting 10m further out both sides, which was an added bonus!

Good luck dude!
                            Cheers mate, I'm glad you're enjoying it ��... I sure am haha!

It's funny you saying that about the air filter, I managed to get her out this weekend and give her a test drive on the works trade plates. I couldn't help but notice the lack of power down low and me and a couple mates agreed that I should put a standard air box back in. I'm after a new stainless system too but still undecided on what one to go for, but I think replacing that coupled with a standard air box she should run sweet as a nut! ��

Brakes wise, they definately need doing so I may look into the S3 swap and see if I can find any cheap ☺

Otherwise I absolutely loved it, got her up in the revs on a few back roads and even came across a lad in a 1995 Cavalier who put up a good fight hahaha.

I'll be sure to update this again when I can, I'm planning on getting her MOT'd by June so there'll be some more posts soon hopefully ��.

Comment

Originally posted by Cormor View Post
                              Classic but effective build !
                              Morette headligths or whatever you call them fits perfectly to G3 imo
                              Thanks mate, I really love the look of these over the standard headlights, they scream 90's dont they ����

Comment

Looking good man!

If you're going for form over function (The clever, sensible idea ) I think it would only be right to smack some banging coilovers on it...

I ran KW V1's on my Polo, they're amazing. On a car like this they would be so much better suited!
                                Bagged 2002 Lupo SE Project (Dead)
                                1999 Polo 6N 1.4 CL Daily project

Instagram: @lewdeak

Comment

Working...
                                X