No announcement yet.

That "CHOPTOP" - MB W115 / 1975

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good job so far! good luck with the rest!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, that motivates moving forward with this build.

Comment

Originally posted by LoweredSilverado View Post
        Are you gonna keep the bare metal stock wheel look?
        Not sure yet with the wheels, not with the bare metal look. Decided to paint it when all metal work is done, even the driveshaft needs some work because of the ride height. Got much work to do before even needs to thinking of the paintin.

Comment

image66.jpg

This is how it ended last night. Got the outer rocker panel to its final place, not yet welded because i have to place the doors and check for the caps if it need some straightening.
          It looks like it's everything ok but we will see. Thats the next thing i guess. Also cutted the rear quarter from the car and placed the repair panel few times and checked it.

image64.jpg

image63.jpg

This is how it looks inside and outside. I'm re-making those jack lifting spots because I want straight and good-looking line with the body.

image65.jpg

image67.jpg

Last thing what I did was this. Cleaned the rear door placement from the old paint and made some measuring with the repair panel. As you can see from the second last picture, the repair in the 90's didn't go as it should. Almost 3mm bondo and the welds are pretty awful...Nothing hasn't placed straight, just welded. Much work to do with it.

This is all for now, more pictures when i have spot-welded and placed the rocker and quarter panels.
          Last edited by JuusoEt; 01-14-2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Well, got the rocker panel welded together with the inner panel. Did a few measurements and then set it in the right place with clecos. If you have used those you know how usefull they are with the panel jobs!
            When the rocker was in it's place I lifted both doors in place and checked the door gaps and then welded. Only back door in place on the photos because it was easier to weld without doors.
            Here's picture of what I did first.

image68.jpg

image69.jpg

image73.jpg

image72.jpg

In this picture I cutted those jack lifting spots, and I'm making those again with straight metal. Future lifting will be happening under the car, on the frame beams.
            This helps me lower the car as much as possible and the ridin height will be low as possible. Now the rocker line is just about 5mm from the floor when bags are laid-out.
            So somethin needs to be done with the frame in the future, but first these rocker and floor sections done.

Here's the last picture, did 3mm holes first through both panels and then 6mm hole to the outer rocker so I'm sure that the welds are full through both of the material.
            Full welded in those door sections and about 15 spot welds bottom of the panel and it's hard as hell. I will be doing those welds 20mm spot to spot.

image71.jpg

So this is everything this time. I think when I got this rocker full welded I'm placing the quarter panel with some spot-welds and then start to replacing those door skins on both doors. Got the materials already just need to check that those body lines ( windows, chrome moulding etc) will be going the same line.
            Also tryin to get some ideas with the front wheel box because that whole case needs replacing.

PS. If someone has original front fenders, new or used, i'm maybe interested. Pm me if anyone has those.

Thats for now, updates in a week!

Comment

So in love with this build already. I grew up with my dad owning a custom shop where we did lots of lead sleds with chopped tops and slammed on the ground. It is always great to see someone doing the old school custom stuff!
              Custom is all about expressing yourself in ways only you can imagine.

Comment

I've been three weeks away from the garage, crushed my two fingers with hydraulic press so that's the reason, but now it's time to build some cool sh*t again.
                With my last post I got the rocker panel full welded and did some research how I will do the rear quarter and now the quarter panel is in its place.

Here's couple of pictures of the process what I've been doing.

In this picture you can see how I changed the look of the C-pilar, no more chrome trim with the lower alignment with the rear door and rear window. Also replaced the "free-air" holes with some straight metal with small hardening. Everything is full welded and on place, next step is to tin plating those welds. I don't want to use A LOT of bondo, so I'm doing/training old-school techniques as much as possible.
                Im not sure is it called tin plating or soldering? I hope you guys understand what I mean.
                image74.jpg

Also got the rear door placement done, repaired the whole line with the quarter panel and the end of the rocker panel. Everything was full of rust and pretty badly welded, now it's looks a lot better.
                image75.jpg

Now the rocker line is ready I started to visualize how to make the floor pans, this is one example. I need to do the floor from left rocker to the tunnel before I will start doing those rear repairs under the car because now the car is only together from the rocker panel so really need to harden the body before more cutting happens.
                These floor pans is made from 1.5mm sheet metal.
                image76.jpg

So the quarter panel what I bought was pretty sh*t quality. Everything else was ok (after some planishing with hammer/dolly) but the chrome trim line was absolutely discusting. It wasn't straight at all and not in line with the door so needed to do somethin about it. I know I needed to replace both front fenders so that was the answer. I used the trim line from the fender, cutted it like the marking shows and welded everything together and thats done.
                Also, if you have seen w115 in front of you you can see the rear wheel arch is customized, arch has been lowered 20mm from the original and the arch line is more "rounded" than it was original.
                In my own eye that looks much more better now.
                image77.jpg
                image78.jpg

This is how it ended last night. So now the quarter and the rocker is ready, next step is to start with the floor pan and the inner fender in this side of the car. Also I will post pictures how that tin plating will go, already did some few spots with that and it went pretty good.
                Now I have one week vacation from work so I really want to do as much as possible forward the Benz. Trying to document everything and update as much as possible with the process.

Thanks for the interest for this build, really appreciate guys. Till next post..
                Last edited by JuusoEt; 03-04-2018, 05:53 AM.

Comment

great work

Comment

Loving how this is progressing. You do excellent work!
                    PS. Do you mean you will be doing tinaus (= leading)?

Comment

Amazing craftsmanship

Comment

Hope your fingers are ok

Comment

Pretty much lost my motivation with the W115... Doing something what i can and got the time, nothin much happened. Only small stuff. Quarter welded and some leading done.
                          Still, got somethin done! Been looking for years Mercedes W108 and now i got my hands for one, this one is museum registered. 280S from 1969.
                          Thinking of air bags, nothin more with this car.

Couple pictures of the car. Interior is mint, but don't have any photos. Will get it to you guys.

image80.jpg

image79.jpg

Hopefully next post will be some working with the W115, till next time.

Comment

hey buddy! love what you were doing with the w115, i have not a clue why i never saw this post a long time ago....i hope one day that you finish it, would love to see the finished product. congrats on the w108!

i wanted to do what you were doing with you w115 to my w108. nice subtle chop top to make everything look proportion with a slant in the rear roof, delete the B pillar, and a body drop. but i ended up buying a 67 250se w111 coupe that was a perfect candidate since it had alot of undercarriage rust from being in new york. owned that for about 6 months and sold it to make room for for a w112 300se cabriolet, recently got done bagging it, but i have alot of plans for it.

i hope you keep this post updated!

Comment

Amazing work

Comment

So here's couple more pictures of the W108. Washed it yesterday and went to little drive because the weather was awesome. It runs like a new car, nothin to complain with the engine or transmission.
                                No extra sounds anywhere, only some adjustment needs those carburators. Model is Zenith, dual-upright carburetors. Need to search some info about them.

IMG_20180502_191921.jpg

IMG_20180502_191836.jpg

IMG_20180502_191757.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X