That "CHOPTOP" - MB W115 / 1975

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yezzz View Post
    Gotta love those old Volvo PVs. Are you guys going for full restauration or also some modified stuf?

Paint job is looking sharp also
    Yes I believe full restoration, I been telling to dad that I wanna paint this with original cream white paint. Time will tell.
    OEM interior parts are only a little hard to find these days, we have some parts already (because dad have owned tens of old volvos in his lifetime).
    Got the seats and safe belts looking like new, few small bits and pieces still missing, also I found the original Volvo radio for the early 60's.

Comment

subbed

Comment

Hi guys.
        It's been a few weeks since I wrote here, but many updates have been done. Some more photos coming along.
        Soo, we are currently building that Volvo PV for my dad, nothing done on the Mercedes. Some more parts only.
        So my last update from the Volvo project was the rear right side pieces for the fender to attach, and the spare tire well.

They are now done, only some minor welding to the inner fender for the rear. Also got the trunk floor repaired and the panel below the trunk lid.
        The rear end is pretty much in shape now, but will need new metal for the trunk seal and on the left side for the frame, think I will have photo of that.
        BUT..We have some issues because it seems that the car has been in an accident in history, so we ordered a Volvo PV "Karosserie" body dimension book from Sweden because cars like this, in the 50-70's there was pretty more accurate diagrams and dimensions on the books. They did a good job because nowadays people like us need this kind of information. Same thing with my W108, got a whole 800-pages full of dimensions for the body and for fabricatin tools and repairing the engine and the whole car.
        In these days, with newer cars we don't got access to everything that without licenses or paying some big money.

But, to the point now.

volvo4.jpg volvo8.jpg
        Here's picture of the inner fender and frame now, pretty much done. Also picture for the spare tire well before/after for some contrast. Only needs new top place for the rear spring to the frame rail. All skin panels are welded with tig for smoother weld and easier to hammer and dolly. Body dimensions are on place, checked from the karosserie handbook. Small body hammering needed on the quarter between trunk lid and fender line, few millimeter tacks there. All done from 1.0 sheet metal.

NOW this, is what I meant when saying we thought this car was in accident.

volvo7.jpg volvo6.jpg

Both quarter lines to the trunk needs redone. Already drilled the hinges out of the body, and hammered them to line and reassembled. Were quite beatened if I could say. So, like this it's redone.. It's just a "Z" shape with some "U" for the seal to get in for the trunk lid. When i reassembled the trunk, it was 7 to 14mm away from the body, so the quarter was kind of collapsed in. All other dimensions were good, don't know really what happened there but it was pain in the ass to make. Small radius on two way and a kind of box, well fuck me. Got it done, glap glap.

volvo5.jpg

Here's another "some small damage" like my father was saying when drilled the front subframe and frame rails out of the body.
        If you look it at this way, the nearest part is front of the cars frame rail and opposite is rear that will be gettin welded to the firewall. That small U-shape in the front is for the radiator support, a welded tube between frame rails. Some story for information.

When we diassembled the car, we saw that the front frame rails were welded. Yes, they're welded from the factory but this was different. You see the Y-shape at the frame rail, right side goes to the floor and left goes to firewall. Section where these two side gets together, there's a weld.
        Bad weld. Lower part of the frame rail has been changed somehow and somewhere in the history, propably in Sweden. Only bad side of the change is, that the subframe bolts to the frame rail. Got it? Good. Dimensions weren't that good for those boys who replaced these because the axle distance between front and rear supposed to be 2600mm. It was 2572 on other side and other was 2580. So the car was "wondering" quite much when driving, the front axle was 20/28mm wrong place.
        So we got "new" from a non-welded car, where the profile is fair and in place.
        So now I'm going to re-done those lower parts and welding these in place to replace those badly welded and not-so-safety frame rails.
        It's quite big job to do, but we already have markings on the floor in right place from the rear axle and the body is in line.

More updates when frame rails are in place tacked. Wish me luck.

Comment

Here's some more photos of the panels for the spare tyre well and it shows a little bit of how it was made and panels sizes.
          It's quite easy when you get a idea, only english wheel, strecher and hand tools were used when I made this.

volvo11.jpg volvo12.jpg volvo13.jpg

Here's some overall pictures for the progress, fender and lip re-done, good fitment though. Between body and fender goes small seal, approx. 2mm thick rubber gasket all the way. That drawing in the lower part was for me to get an idea of the "mud flaps" (I don't know what to call them). Only a pretty strong rubber flap to prevent rocks to chip the paint from the fender. I'm thinking of doing it from metal so I can just paint the whole thing with same colour, those black rubbers dont look good from my view. Dunno yet, I'm thinking.
          And last, some overall pciture of my daily freetime view. Still coughing that metal.

IMG_20210116_095041.jpg volvo14.jpg

Comment

That is a lot of quality work, good job!
            "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
            Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Savage fab work lad

Comment

That is a lot of fab work for the body/frame. Old cars are always full of surprises.

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                  That is a lot of quality work, good job!
                  Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Zagamuffin View Post
                    Savage fab work lad
                    Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by white out View Post
                      That is a lot of fab work for the body/frame. Old cars are always full of surprises.
                      Yes they are, gladly almost 70% done now for the steel work.

Comment

• Hi guys.

It's been a while since I posted here, been busy with fabricatin parts for the Volvo and Mercedes.
                        Also got a gig job for another facility so been away for weeks sunday to friday. Next week new week, job is taking too much time from hobbies.

But now to the point, got the both frame rails for Volvo done and welded, I need to take a full picture from the car now.
                        Also sills are now under work, front fenders and hood gapped nearly to the where I wanted them. Not yet picture from that but I will take a full picture of the car when hood, fenders and doors are nearly lined up.
                        Now the front subframe is 2mm from the point where it should be, wheelbase is now 2598mm.

volvo15.jpg volvo18.jpg

Doors for the Volvo are pretty bad shape, nearly 10cm from the bottom needs re-done. Corners, skin and seal placement are hard to fabricate.
                        Takes time pretty much a week for free-time per door. Been looking better ones but hard to find these days.

Also something for the W108, new door skin. Made by me, pretty happy for the outcome.
                        Bottom part where the door seal goes was very interesting to do, but I got it.
                        Hardest part was to line up the front section to the fender and back section to the back door because the body line goes 5mm lowering to the front.
                        So first I made straight body line and then cutted where needed (approx 35mm front section stood) and tig-welded back on above the door lock section. Drivers side back door is almost ready too, needs trimming and line up to the door frame and then done, next to that to the other side.

mersu2.jpg mersu3.jpg

Also we got a new car with Dad. Volvo Amazon 1971, MOT museum. B20A with disc brakes. 205743 original kilometers, two owners before.
                        Interior mint, exterior needs re-painting. Cost us nothin.

We've been doing framework/timber work for Dads army friend and after everything that work he just asked, money or this. Well, wasn't quite hard decision for us.
                        I appreciate these kind of people, we didn't even think we get anything back, We just help people who means us something. And those who need help.
                        I don't envy anything or anybody, but now I envy my dad. I know I can't have that kind of friends ever in my life. These days its hard to find that kind of friendships. Better days have gone.

Here's picture of the Volvo.

volvoamazon.jpg

Updates again when I get something bigger done. Stay safe guys.

Comment

• oh man, that Amazon is gorgeous. Great work on the panels btw, thats some proper craftmanship!
                          Originally posted by aLaFleur

I've decided the best way to deal with rust is to just embrace it.

Comment

• Hi guys, it's been a while.

Been workin on projects to got them forward, and workin like a hell. Dad's PV, my -69 Merc and my new daily W210 E430.
                            Also got a new job at local body shop, been workin 2 months now with insurance vehicles, metal work and primer stuff most of the time.
                            Primary job is changin body panels to wrecked vehicles which insurance companies want to repair, got used to the compressor and facility job.
                            Needed something more to work with my hands.

Few pictures here to stop talking and reveal what I have accomplished.

This is my last job at work, Ford Galaxy SMax. Rear quarter was pretty bad, hit by another car and front of the car hit by another car same time. Only doors and left side fender didn't needed replacing, everything else went new.

IMG_20221012_203030.jpg IMG_20221031_193425.jpg

Dad's Volvo is now fully painted, he is now assembling that. Engine and drivetrain ready, few bits and pieces to the suspension and interior. Got a bet he is driving that next summer. Acrylic paint, Volvo 42 color "californianwhite" , 3-layers wet and then dry sand 600 and 2 wet coats of lacquer.

IMG_20211218_125605.jpg IMG_20211010_133812.jpg

Here's w108 -69 Merc gearbox, needed time out about the metal work with doors so got little mechanical, replacing pushings and bearings. I think this didn't like the burn-out last time this was drivable, got little funny.

Last picture is my new daily, W210 -01 facelift E430. M113 with 5-Gtronic, Leather interior, Xenon's, AMG brakes ( I believe some C-model, only 2 pistons front). Originally shipped to Japan 15.3.2001, then 2014 to Holland and 2020 here to Finland, were I did buy it from the man who is also Mercedes guy. Only little above 230000 kilometers, no rust. Only what is missing and what I have dreamed is folding mirrors, everything else what I also would have in 2001 on a facelift is crossed on the car when ordered.

Replaced all fluids and filters, opened the calipers and replaced every seal. Nothing wrong, now in the winter few times Check Engine light has come up, Star tells ETC problem. Probably the round connector in the gearbox is the problem, if the seal is leaking oil from the gearbox can get thru to the gearbox module and pissing some connectors.
                            Who knows, have to examine that.

That's all for now, I will update now as much as possible from the W108 and W210 when something really happens.

Take care guys.
                            Last edited by JuusoEt; 01-23-2023, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X