Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1982 Datsun 280ZX "Shakotan Style"

Default 1982 Datsun 280ZX "Shakotan Style"

Hello lovers of stance,

First off I'll tell you about myself. I'm 20 years old, live in a small town in eastern TN, and I love cars!
    This particular car I've owned for about 4 years now, and up until a few weeks ago was a bone stock, low mileage example. I traded a 1993 240sx hatch with an RB20DET swap for this car and I've loved every second of owning it!

More about the car:

-110,000 original miles
    -slick top car, (no leaky t-tops)
    -5 speed manual
    -all original body panels, paint, interior ( minus radio and bezel)
    -NO RUST

Now onto the build!

I've owned many cars in my 20 years, from miatas, to 3000gt vr4's, to camaros. But nothing gets me like a properly built antique Japanese sports car. I've always loved old Z's and I decided it was about time to add a little heritage into mine.

This build will be over time, as I get the funds. I'm going to be doing a coilover conversion, a lot of body restoration due to the hail dents I'm going to be drawing a lot of inspiration from Shakotan cars out of Japan, and throwing my own flavor into it. Below are some pictures of the car before the transformation. I will come back and post pictures of the car as I go along. Thank you all for checking this out I hope you like what you see

Can't see your pics, and I definitely want to see them!

Hm this site isn't wanting me to upload any pictures off of my phone. As soon as I figure it out I'll post them!

Quote Originally Posted by C greens View Post
    Hm this site isn't wanting me to upload any pictures off of my phone. As soon as I figure it out I'll post them!
    you've got to use a site like Flickr, upload them to that then link them in here
    Current Car: 04 Ford Focus SVT

Founder of CleanCarCulture!
    www.CleanCarCulture.com

Www.facebook.com/CleanCarCulture

Always on the look out for feature cars in NorCal, Maine, Kansas and Florida. Want to become part of the CleanCarCulture team? Use the contact form on our website!

Okay so I completely forgot I had a thread here of my Z build (sorry lol) and I know some of you would like to see it. So here it is. I placed the pictures in order from when the car was stock to now.

Still working on some things obviously. The front will be dropped down another inch or so when the airdam comes in the mail, I'm searching for a number of "period correct" parts that will be put on when I find exactly what I'm looking for. Overal I'm happy to finally see my Z get driven more regularly, and with some new parts to boot! Stay tuned!
    Last edited by C greens; 02-08-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Looks great already.....keep up the good work
    Wish that we have them more available in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by adacam View Post
    Looks great already.....keep up the good work
    Wish that we have them more available in Europe.
    Thank you! These cars are awesome, I don't care what people say about them!

That thing is crazy clean, can't wait to see where this goes

Quote Originally Posted by slamitall View Post
    That thing is crazy clean, can't wait to see where this goes
    Thank you I really appretiate it! I'll be adding updates fairly regularly on here and various other forums so stay tuned!

Awesome already !!! tell us more about wheel/tyre specs !!!

Quote Originally Posted by sosnowylas View Post
    Awesome already !!! tell us more about wheel/tyre specs !!!
    Thank you! The specs are as follows:

Felgen werkes - 15x10.5 -32 all around with 1.25in spacers (to clear hubs in the front)

Tires are 205/50/15 hankooks.

This is not the permanent wheel setup. Ideally I'm wanting to run slightly less wide wheels with more negative offset. Specifically in the front. I'm wanting to buy some Longchamps or star sharks for this car eventually.

Edit: been doing some offset/width calculating. I've come up with this as what sizes I'm going to be using.

F15x10-40 with no spacer and still a 205/50/15

R15x10.5 -44 with no spacer and a 205/50/15 on there as well.

Reason I'm trying to stick with a 205 is because I'm keeping this car stock body. No flares or anything like that. I really LOVE the way the car looks with wide wheels and the stock body lines. It's much more clean and correct in the way that I'm trying to build this car in my opinion. Again, thank you all for the positivity with this car. I'm excited to show what's to come!
    Last edited by C greens; 02-07-2018 at 10:16 AM.

A quick shot of the car sitting in the rain today on my lunch break. I love this car! P.S. Peep the crooked 280ZX logo on the fender
    Last edited by C greens; 02-08-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DUTCHswift View Post
    Still no pictures?

Really? I uploaded like 10 pictures, I can see them on my end?

I'm in the same boat, no pictures show up for me either.
    Instagram: @Eurow

Ahhh poor bastards You dont know what You are losing I wouldn't change a thing in this car.

Quote Originally Posted by sosnowylas View Post
    Ahhh poor bastards You dont know what You are losing I wouldn't change a thing in this car.
    Thanks wait til you see what's to come!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyRa View Post
    I'm in the same boat, no pictures show up for me either.
    Maybe your browser is being slow or something. Mine does that from time to time on here and a few other forums when there's several pictures involved in the thread.

Looks great, such a clean example and you've made some great mod choices! Have you thought about wrapping the chrome around the windows black? I think it would really tie everything together. Can't wait to see whats in store!

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
    SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 19birel View Post
    Looks great, such a clean example and you've made some great mod choices! Have you thought about wrapping the chrome around the windows black? I think it would really tie everything together. Can't wait to see whats in store!
    Thank you for the positive comment! Yes I have thought about that quite a lot actually, but I'm holding off on that til I end up buying new wheels. It won't be black on black forever!

Dude I LOVE this. Amazing how much lowering the car emphasized the lines. Always thought these Zs looked a little ungainly. Where in eastern TN are you?

Quote Originally Posted by rightfullrudder View Post
    Dude I LOVE this. Amazing how much lowering the car emphasized the lines. Always thought these Zs looked a little ungainly. Where in eastern TN are you?
    I'm in Morristown! And thank you man I appretiate the positivity, everybody seems to think these are the ugly ducklings of the Z family.. But I most definitely think otherwise. These are beautiful cars in my eyes, and it'll prove itself when I'm done with it!

Nice to see some more old school Jdm on the forums. Loving the look dude, any plans for louvers if you can find some?

Old Japanese cars are my thing
    Follow me on the gram @driftundertheradar

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Gramps View Post
    Nice to see some more old school Jdm on the forums. Loving the look dude, any plans for louvers if you can find some?
    Hell yes definitely. You guys are gonna love the way the car looks in a few months. Like I said, I want it to be period correct to a degree. I want it to look like something you'd see in Japan when these things were at their prime. The US had an unfortunate lack of very low old JDM cars back then. I'm here to show this cars worth in this community, the S130 doesn't get the love it deserves!

Thank you all for the kind words, means a lot!

[url=https://postimg.org/image/s6u9fhxoj/]

Gave the Z a wash today. You can see my stock engine bay!

P.s. I've ordered an airdam and it should hopefully be here in a week or so. Til then, I'm going to address the ride height in the front of the car, it needs to be more "down to earth" if you know what I mean
    Last edited by C greens; 02-09-2018 at 12:38 PM.