X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 volvo 740 battery wiring help

Here is my initial thread for it:
    Volvo 240, 740 & 940 - 1990 740 battery wiring HELP - Hey guys recently bought a new volvo 740 sedan 1990 b230ft with m46 for 1500 cad with 175k miles on it, pretty good deal heh. So... I'm a noob when it comes to cars and would like to become a better mechanic and i'm running into a few issues mainly off in regards...

Was trying to replace my battery and noticed 2 corroded/damaged positive wires, not sure if im good with removing the whole battery wiring for it or just using the wiring thats there?

I think i need a new positive terminal + attach the 2 connector tip things which corroded off, so yeah how do i do this (need a step by step tutorial)... lol

Cut out the corroded parts for a good length, strip the insulator and resolder same gauge wire with matching connectors. Use thick heat shrink insulator, preferrably with some adhesive, to cover the now exposed parts of wire. You don't want that wire touching your cars body because bad things will happen. Soldering is not ideal, since it can fail again over time due to mechanical/heat stress, but really shouldn't be a problem. I think you can still get those wires from the dealer, but it won't be cheap.

Your car is very old and you'll need to teach yourself car electronics and general maintenance routines to keep it running, just do some research. 740 with B230FT is a really simple and easy car to maintain.

As to your original thread, you have 4 connectors to the positive side of the battery, they are used for starter/alternator, cabin electronics etc.

Good luck.
    Last edited by 8DOM8; 05-27-2017, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8DOM8 View Post
      Cut out the corroded parts for a good length, strip the insulator and resolder same gauge wire with matching connectors. Use thick heat shrink insulator, preferrably with some adhesive, to cover the now exposed parts of wire. You don't want that wire touching your cars body because bad things will happen. Soldering is not ideal, since it can fail again over time due to mechanical/heat stress, but really shouldn't be a problem. I think you can still get those wires from the dealer, but it won't be cheap.

Your car is very old and you'll need to teach yourself car electronics and general maintenance routines to keep it running, just do some research. 740 with B230FT is a really simple and easy car to maintain.

As to your original thread, you have 4 connectors to the positive side of the battery, they are used for starter/alternator, cabin electronics etc.

Good luck.
      Thanks for the really helpful reply man

Just had a few questions...

So im guessing i should have enough length for the remaining wiring to be soldered after i cut the corroded parts out right?

For soldering the crimp/tip things together i'm meant to take the battery wiring out correct, if so how do i do that... would it involve me removing everything in the engine bay to get to the wiring harness/wirings?

Comment

Originally posted by 240SS View Post
        Thanks for the really helpful reply man

Just had a few questions...

So im guessing i should have enough length for the remaining wiring to be soldered after i cut the corroded parts out right?

For soldering the crimp/tip things together i'm meant to take the battery wiring out correct, if so how do i do that... would it involve me removing everything in the engine bay to get to the wiring harness/wirings?

After you cut out the corroded parts you'll have to replace the same lenght with new wire.

You don't necessarily need to remove the harness from your car if there's enough room to do the soldering in the engine bay. If you end up removing the harness, take pictures and label everything before removal so you know where to connect them after the repair.

Also I think that the end connectors are crimped rather than soldered.

Comment

Originally posted by 8DOM8 View Post
          After you cut out the corroded parts you'll have to replace the same lenght with new wire.

You don't necessarily need to remove the harness from your car if there's enough room to do the soldering in the engine bay. If you end up removing the harness, take pictures and label everything before removal so you know where to connect them after the repair.

Also I think that the end connectors are crimped rather than soldered.
          So i'd have to replace the corroded parts on my battery wiring with new wiring, how do i do this?

Sorry again for these stupid questions i've just spent a long time looking around on forums etc. online for help and i can't find the answers to do this...

Comment

Working...
          X