Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 3....another M3 build

Fifteen52?

Quote Originally Posted by saturnstance View Post
    Fifteen52?
    I have always wanted a set of tarmacs, and right before the car was fixed at the shop they had the buy 3, get one free deal which I passed on. So they are kinda out of the question till another sale or I can find a decent used set. Just really trying to keep the wheel budget low which is starting to get hard.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

That's how I am. I wait for deals..which could take years lol

I need tires which is the part that really sucks. While I can get some cheap ones on the stock wheels, I dont want to pay for a mount and balance and then just be annoyed with them.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

I use simpletire.com for all my tires.

I just noticed you're in Wyomissing..i'm in Allentown lol

We will have to meet up sometime.

So I might have my stock jeep wheels & tires sold, and also my seat covers which will free up some money to get wheels
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Should have some more boring updates this weekend, as I will be rebuilding the power steering pump. It has been fighting me since I picked the car up. It worked perfectly for a day after it sat for a week when I flushed the fluid. Yesterday it was back to not working again so I finally ordered the parts, and also a lip for the bumper which I have had the mounting hardware sitting for.

Need to remember to take a lot of pics.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Any 914 builds

Threw the lip on yesterday since I got out of work early and managed to get my jeep more inspection ready which is a pain anymore.

Install isnt really too bad, but kind of annoying. This lip doesnt fit 100% but I didnt think it would be perfect since its the ECS rep and not oem. Basically just drill 7 holes along the front and then 4 on the sides and your done.

front lip 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Installed, hard to see it but whatever. I am happy and I will prolly get the reiger add on after wheels and stuffs. Actually maybe I may try the MKahmotorsports splitter instead and just order it next week or something #becauseracecar.

front lip 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Also finally got my temp to work, funny how my last E36 and this one both just had the ripped wires where the temp sensor would have gone. I didnt think it was working at all, but slowly it finally started to work this morning after staying around +2 for a while yesterday.
    Last edited by hinrichs; 07-28-2017 at 09:57 AM.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Nothing new really. Just been driving it here and there.

Bad pic from the other night.

trash car by minthinrich, on Flickr

Forgot I finally fixed this. Took over a day to finally recognize the sensor which was really weird, but I am happy now. Funny as my last E36 had the wires ripped off for the sensor as well. I still **** the wood trim, but learning to like it.

obc temp by minthinrich, on Flickr

Installed one of my old sparco harness. It kinda sucks, but I wanted to see how the vader would be with something better than the stock belt to hold me into the seat. Just really need to play with the seat more to get it comfortable before I make up my mind and order something better.

old sparco by minthinrich, on Flickr

Thought this was funny when I was working on them both.

standoff by minthinrich, on Flickr

Still working on wheel options. When I was rolling the front fenders more over this past weekend, I learned my coilovers have no adjustment for camber which confuses me as I thought they were one step up in the megan coilovers since they have 32 clicks of adjustment on them, but they have the standard top mounts. I need to figure out if I can retro fit them, or just sell them and upgrade which will push back wheels and tires even longer.
    Last edited by hinrichs; 08-08-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

You swapped the wheels for inspection on the Jeep?

Quote Originally Posted by saturnstance View Post
    You swapped the wheels for inspection on the Jeep?
    Normally I dont have to as I have a family freind/ex family that I go to who doesnt care about stuff like that. Sadly he was too busy so I had to go to a new shop down the road to have it done this time which wasnt too bad as I stopped in before and asked if they had a problem with it. I threw on and slightly ruined the 2 front wheels due to my upgraded tie rod. If they guy pulling it in didnt turn the wheels so hard it would have cleared fine but oh well. Next year I will just extend the fenders and I will be fine.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Had a rookie mistake happen sunday.

Went to check the coolant...which was full....fan shroud cracked and fan exploded.

fan 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
    fan 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Electric fan kit, new oe plus csr radiator, 80* thermostat, and new fan shroud will be here tomorrow.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Laguna Beach,CA Glendale, AZ Soon to be Boston

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Kid View Post
    I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Well Thursday. I went to attack the cooling system. Didnt go too well. Ended up breaking the thermostat housing, and broke a bolt in the block due to not changing the torque on the wrench down to 10nm. Walked away and left the car till Sunday. Ordered the new parts I needed Friday however, but I wont have 3 more days.

I did get the fan mounted up over the weekend however, but didnt run any wiring or anything like I should have. I was being lazy. I am also still running the stock Aux fan.

fan install by minthinrich, on Flickr

While in my cheap search for wheels, I was curious to see how my "junk" millies that have been sitting in my basement fit. I wish I kept the et 15 version, but they were basically like eggs and out of round so I sold them a while back. These are et 32 I think or something like that and fit decently which I dont remember from before. The front tires are new which is partly why I might just run them for a while but who knows. I got bored tho and painted them red, cuz why not cover already shitty paint. Kinda like the look.

red wheels by minthinrich, on Flickr
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

You wiring that fan up to a thermo switch or are you going to just run it with KOER

I think ill be wiring it to the stock aux fan switch, but I might add in my own switch to bypass that as well just because. I have read some ways to trigger the relay off the oem fog switch since my fogs dont really work anyway which would be kinda cool
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Im working on a electric fan swap myself, dont get to work on the car much but its been a pain lately lol
    E36 Bonnie

Beware that AUX fan only comes on when it REALLY needs to, I would mount a thermo switch pre-thermostat and have it control the fan accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by royalife View Post
    Im working on a electric fan swap myself, dont get to work on the car much but its been a pain lately lol
    To me it seems like any "small" project turns into a big one with this damn car haha

Quote Originally Posted by 190Evan View Post
    Beware that AUX fan only comes on when it REALLY needs to, I would mount a thermo switch pre-thermostat and have it control the fan accordingly.
    Well the kit came with a new switch which I would guess would be a different temp setting but I really dont know. I am bad with electrical stuff, and the thanks to photobucket all the links that had good diy write ups, are all gone. I dont even really understand the instructions that came with the kit since there are 4 different wiring options.

Edit: Just looked at the kit online, it does come with a lower temp switch.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/E36-Elect...1998-1999.html
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Use the relay that came with it and definitely wire that in. I've got electric fans on both my cars and wired a manual over ride switch for both as well, although I've never ever needed to use them. The temperature switch in the radiator has a 3 wires, power, and two grounds for high temp/ low temp. All of the write ups I've read recommend tapping into the high temp wire (you tap into this wire from the relay harness.)

This is what I used, but yeah, effing photobucket.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...fan-wiring-DIY

@cblock406

^ definitely do that.

Quote Originally Posted by cblock406 View Post
    Use the relay that came with it and definitely wire that in. I've got electric fans on both my cars and wired a manual over ride switch for both as well, although I've never ever needed to use them. The temperature switch in the radiator has a 3 wires, power, and two grounds for high temp/ low temp. All of the write ups I've read recommend tapping into the high temp wire (you tap into this wire from the relay harness.)

This is what I used, but yeah, effing photobucket.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...fan-wiring-DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by 190Evan View Post
    ^ definitely do that.
    Thanks guys, I worked on the wiring last night, and I didnt take any pictures, but I did a half decent job of making it look oem.

I ran a short power wire from the relay to the jumper block in the bay, and tapped into the high speed wire for the fan sensor for the trigger. I have yet to finish routing the power wire for the fan yet since I am not sure where I am going to put the ground (shorter fan harness) and I need to figure out where I am going to get my switched 12V source from.

May finally order the hardmotorsport flares today as well. Just keep going back and forth in my head if I want to cut into the rear of the car.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Quote Originally Posted by hinrichs View Post
    Thanks guys, I worked on the wiring last night, and I didnt take any pictures, but I did a half decent job of making it look oem.

I ran a short power wire from the relay to the jumper block in the bay, and tapped into the high speed wire for the fan sensor for the trigger. I have yet to finish routing the power wire for the fan yet since I am not sure where I am going to put the ground (shorter fan harness) and I need to figure out where I am going to get my switched 12V source from.

May finally order the hardmotorsport flares today as well. Just keep going back and forth in my head if I want to cut into the rear of the car.
    You mind putting up pictures when youre all done? i could use it to wire mine up as im having a bit of trouble as well.
    E36 Bonnie

I will get some pics tonight and get them posted up tomorrow for you. Some of the wiring is hidden, but it should all make sense when you see it.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs