Round 3....another M3 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 19birel View Post
    Man that sucks that guy ended up being a time waster hopefully someone else comes through despite the economy.

I'm sure someone is panic selling a nice E46 m3 for a decent deal right about now haha
    Oh I had the perfect one lined up, and ended up making a new online friend due to it. I just didnt want to have 2 cars and still be stuck with the E36. I have another guy who was talking to me about it, but never made a decision yet. I told him I would even deliver since its only to pittsburg.
    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• So since I have been working from home, of course I set up my office in the garage after a few days. Figure I am not really all that busy so I should get out there so I can either get it cleaned up (hasnt happened yet) or just get some more work done to the cars. Ignore my super basic shitty work space.

IMG-0699 by minthinrich, on Flickr

First onto the list was install some rear subframe bushings and also reinforce the subframe mounting points. Everything came out easy enough thankfully. For the diff I used one of my rolling storage cabinets which I might replace today with an actual took caddy or something easier to manage.

IMG-0700 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Decided to first do the subframe mounts, and I must have hit the lottery. The car has the oem ones already so that sure saved me a bunch of time. Now to sell or return the ones I dont need anymore.

IMG-0701 (1) by minthinrich, on Flickr

Next was getting the subframe bushings out. I have a 20 ton press which I thought about using but it seemed like a pain. So I went on youtube, and 20 min later all the bushings were out. I was surprised how easy it really is with using a torch. Heat up the bushings till they start to bubble, and a few good hits with a hammer and they pop right out. I then half ass wire wheeled the subframe and then put in the new bushings.

IMG-0687 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      IMG-0688 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      IMG-0689 by minthinrich, on Flickr
      IMG-0690 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I needed to order some new subframe bolts since they came out when I needed to pull the subframe again and I now need to cut the nuts off since they wont budge (high torque) so I cant throw it back together yet. I also ordered some new camber arms to ditch the ebay ones so once all that shows up the rear will be back together. I still need to track down another diff, but I am holding off since someone who wants the car cant decide till next week about it. Funny how each time I spend some money on the car someone wants it again.
      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• One of my favorite M3 besides the E46. Keep up the awesome work

Comment

• Got my new needed hardware, so threw the rear end back together. If I find a new diff I will just swap the rear cover to keep my bushings there. Re-install really wasnt bad at all. Had to take it apart a few times but its solid now. Ended up with condor bushings, and also bimmerworld camber arms.

IMG-0756 by minthinrich, on Flickr
          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• i feel ya on the wanting a daily more than a racecar that sits around waiting for you to drive it, its a hard line to walk.
            sorry about all the buyers being shit heads. whenever a kid and their dad shows up you know its not gonna go well. ive walked away from a showing midsentence a couple times. have you considered parting it out, easier deals and may get more money back...

Comment

• Cleaned up the shop a little, trying to keep myself busy while "working"

IMG-0765 by minthinrich, on Flickr
              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• So I never remembered to really ever update this. Unfortunately the cars head gasket went, I let it sit since we had no race season. I bought a back up car, traded that, then sold the car it was traded for. In that time the M3 also went to its new home. I think it is in perfect hands and will be fixed and better than ever.

My main thing other than fixing the M3 was how little power it really makes in my race class vs what it would cost to be competitive. Sure I could have driven it to the limit years down the line, but It just wasnt worth the money anymore to try and compete with a mustang having 700hp.

So......I replaced it with an old man car.

IMG-2368 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                Last edited by hinrichs; 11-04-2020, 01:29 PM.
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• cant wait to see what you do with this since I'm always eyeing corvettes myself.
                  Last edited by Miroteknik; 11-03-2020, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Oh god the corvette is gonna be good!!!
                    Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

• Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post

cant wait to see what you do with this since I'm always eyeing corvettes myself.
                      Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
                      Oh god the corvette is gonna be good!!!
                      Ill make a thread for it soon enough
                      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                      X