No announcement yet.

Round 3....another M3 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You swapped the wheels for inspection on the Jeep?

Comment

Originally posted by saturnstance View Post
      You swapped the wheels for inspection on the Jeep?
      Normally I dont have to as I have a family freind/ex family that I go to who doesnt care about stuff like that. Sadly he was too busy so I had to go to a new shop down the road to have it done this time which wasnt too bad as I stopped in before and asked if they had a problem with it. I threw on and slightly ruined the 2 front wheels due to my upgraded tie rod. If they guy pulling it in didnt turn the wheels so hard it would have cleared fine but oh well. Next year I will just extend the fenders and I will be fine.
      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Had a rookie mistake happen sunday.

Went to check the coolant...which was full....fan shroud cracked and fan exploded.

fan 2 by minthinrich, on Flickr
        fan 1 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Electric fan kit, new oe plus csr radiator, 80* thermostat, and new fan shroud will be here tomorrow.
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
          I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Well Thursday. I went to attack the cooling system. Didnt go too well. Ended up breaking the thermostat housing, and broke a bolt in the block due to not changing the torque on the wrench down to 10nm. Walked away and left the car till Sunday. Ordered the new parts I needed Friday however, but I wont have 3 more days.

I did get the fan mounted up over the weekend however, but didnt run any wiring or anything like I should have. I was being lazy. I am also still running the stock Aux fan.

fan install by minthinrich, on Flickr

While in my cheap search for wheels, I was curious to see how my "junk" millies that have been sitting in my basement fit. I wish I kept the et 15 version, but they were basically like eggs and out of round so I sold them a while back. These are et 32 I think or something like that and fit decently which I dont remember from before. The front tires are new which is partly why I might just run them for a while but who knows. I got bored tho and painted them red, cuz why not cover already shitty paint. Kinda like the look.

red wheels by minthinrich, on Flickr
            Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

You wiring that fan up to a thermo switch or are you going to just run it with KOER

Comment

I think ill be wiring it to the stock aux fan switch, but I might add in my own switch to bypass that as well just because. I have read some ways to trigger the relay off the oem fog switch since my fogs dont really work anyway which would be kinda cool
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Im working on a electric fan swap myself, dont get to work on the car much but its been a pain lately lol
                  E36 Bonnie

Comment

Beware that AUX fan only comes on when it REALLY needs to, I would mount a thermo switch pre-thermostat and have it control the fan accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by royalife View Post
                      Im working on a electric fan swap myself, dont get to work on the car much but its been a pain lately lol
                      To me it seems like any "small" project turns into a big one with this damn car haha

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                      Beware that AUX fan only comes on when it REALLY needs to, I would mount a thermo switch pre-thermostat and have it control the fan accordingly.
                      Well the kit came with a new switch which I would guess would be a different temp setting but I really dont know. I am bad with electrical stuff, and the thanks to photobucket all the links that had good diy write ups, are all gone. I dont even really understand the instructions that came with the kit since there are 4 different wiring options.

Edit: Just looked at the kit online, it does come with a lower temp switch.

Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Use the relay that came with it and definitely wire that in. I've got electric fans on both my cars and wired a manual over ride switch for both as well, although I've never ever needed to use them. The temperature switch in the radiator has a 3 wires, power, and two grounds for high temp/ low temp. All of the write ups I've read recommend tapping into the high temp wire (you tap into this wire from the relay harness.)

This is what I used, but yeah, effing photobucket.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

@projects_always

Comment

^ definitely do that.

Comment

Originally posted by cblock406 View Post
                            Use the relay that came with it and definitely wire that in. I've got electric fans on both my cars and wired a manual over ride switch for both as well, although I've never ever needed to use them. The temperature switch in the radiator has a 3 wires, power, and two grounds for high temp/ low temp. All of the write ups I've read recommend tapping into the high temp wire (you tap into this wire from the relay harness.)

This is what I used, but yeah, effing photobucket.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...fan-wiring-DIY
                            Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                            ^ definitely do that.
                            Thanks guys, I worked on the wiring last night, and I didnt take any pictures, but I did a half decent job of making it look oem.

I ran a short power wire from the relay to the jumper block in the bay, and tapped into the high speed wire for the fan sensor for the trigger. I have yet to finish routing the power wire for the fan yet since I am not sure where I am going to put the ground (shorter fan harness) and I need to figure out where I am going to get my switched 12V source from.

May finally order the hardmotorsport flares today as well. Just keep going back and forth in my head if I want to cut into the rear of the car.
                            Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                              Thanks guys, I worked on the wiring last night, and I didnt take any pictures, but I did a half decent job of making it look oem.

I ran a short power wire from the relay to the jumper block in the bay, and tapped into the high speed wire for the fan sensor for the trigger. I have yet to finish routing the power wire for the fan yet since I am not sure where I am going to put the ground (shorter fan harness) and I need to figure out where I am going to get my switched 12V source from.

May finally order the hardmotorsport flares today as well. Just keep going back and forth in my head if I want to cut into the rear of the car.
                              You mind putting up pictures when youre all done? i could use it to wire mine up as im having a bit of trouble as well.
                              E36 Bonnie

Comment

I will get some pics tonight and get them posted up tomorrow for you. Some of the wiring is hidden, but it should all make sense when you see it.
                                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X