Round 3....another M3 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
    Well looks like the car is for sale, I know there havent been any real updates to this in a while. Car is still apart, and this week I need to get it at least running. I wanna swap back into an E46 M3 that is a little more street friendly. I will still race it so dont worry I am not out of that game. Just dont want to own a car I only drive 4 times a year anymore.
    Makes sense, can't you revert this back to simpler state tho?

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
      Makes sense, can't you revert this back to simpler state tho?
      I would need to spend so much to get it back, its not worth even trying in my mind. I would need doors, full interior, full body harness, complete abs wiring (which abs doesnt even work), windows, you name it.

Lets just say I know exactly how I want to build the next car, with even better parts. It will just look a little more street friendly since I wont be obsessed with weight savings.
      Last edited by hinrichs; 02-18-2020, 07:05 AM.
      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
        ...I wanna swap back into an E46 M3 that is a little more street friendly.
        Hell yeah, this sounds good.

Comment

• I was cleaning it out last night, and starting to think about the wiring....which has to be at least done enough to start it this weekend. So I am sure that wont happen. I keep going back on it thinking what if I just get a new cage...I will fit better and it will be easier to at least get into the car. I just really dont know what to do.

Also considering a vette....but I dont know if I can handle the super crappy 2000s chevy interior.
          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Everyone I know who went to a vette eventually sold it for something else. They're fun cars but I think certain models are overrated slightly. I definitely understand the battle of what ifs

Comment

• I know I will love another E46, I have no worries there other than the maintenance nightmares that they can be. I had a stupid clean one before. The only real decision on one of them for me is 6 speed vs SMG. I want the smg to race, but it wont be as fun around town. I have to say I think after driving my friends, since it was like 10 years I was in one, I have wanted another since that night.

The vette would be cool and super capable right out of the gate from what I have learned from talking to a few guys who race with me. Its just hard to find a decent example for what I want to pay. I also would want the Z06 but the tax on them is a little high still.
              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Vettes are cool and surely capable cars (probably better handling than e46s too and less subframe rippage problems...) but me being a "tuner" inside I see the corvette as more of an old person car...
                Guess the choice depends on personal preference AND class you wanna race in, ie if you wanna run a class that only allows you basic mods you should probably find out which car is faster with those

Comment

• lol i just want a corvette to stunt on old dudes

Comment

• I'd be sad to see the E36 go, but I 1000% get where you're coming from. Like we were discussing on my thread, partly the same reason I let go of the 2002.

On the topic of E46 vs. Corvette, having driven my friend's C5 Z06 fairly extensively I can say it's an absolute monster but feels a little unhinged. M3s always feel very direct and sharp, his Corvette has always felt a little floaty to me. That being said, it's an absolute riot, and from a reliability stand point it's hard to beat. Any LS will be more durable than an S54. But my inner-BMW nerd screams get the E46 haha.

Comment

• Its running.....

Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• So I had a guy drive 3-1/2 hours to come purchase the car. We had been talking for about a month, decided on a price, and set up a meeting. Pushed myself hard to find all the parts for the car, get it running, sort out a lot of other little details and all so it was ready to leave.

First was to get the trunk latch figured out. I was going to run the stock one, but I lost it. So ordered up some Uxcell ones....sparco showed up which was even better. Honestly I think they are the exact same thing but for only $14 instead of $50 or whatever they were. Threw them on and I am kind of happy with them. I could have done a better job attaching them, but whatever they work. It is a race car right?

IMG-0535 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Another issue was the trunk floor. (I did this last night but it makes more sense in the story here). I cut the trunk floor out for weight, and also to make getting the diff out a lot easier. My friend did it, was it worth it? Probably not but hey it looks kinda cool. Also needed to make a battery mount, which I didnt take any pics of. Basically made some mounts, put in a flat piece, and fully bolted down my battery mount. Much better than ever honestly.

IMG-0632 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Now a gaping hole doesnt look good, and I was lazy to make my own. Ordered up the hardmotorsport piece and I have to say for $100 I dont think I could have made a better part. Sure I could cut one out, but I dont have, nor do I know anyone with a bead roller that could have done the center for me. I used 3M trim tape and stuck it down along with some rivets. I hope it doesnt rattle too bad.

IMG-0633 by minthinrich, on Flickr

So after all that, I pulled the car out front and we waited together to meet its new owner...

IMG-0546 by minthinrich, on Flickr

So the guy showed up with his dad, and they didnt have a trailer. First sign something was up. He said they had one waiting at U-haul so I didnt really think too much into it at first. We got to talking he looked over the car, and then goes "Wow it really is a race car" He was sent a lot of pictures to explain everything over the last month. We started it, still running just the full straight pipe, and it did have a major exhaust leak since I forgot an O2 sensor. "Its really loud, I am not sure the local track will be okay with it". I explained it had 3 different options and the resonator or cat really quiets it down. So then I let him take it down the road and back since there was no plate on the car, it had no brake lights, and its still on the slicks on a cold day. He takes forever since he didnt know how to get the car into reverse to turn around, then finally shows back up. They kept talking to me about the car, how some stuff worked, what it would need yet, and why I am getting rid of it. He decided that the car was too much for him since he is new, they cant drive it on the street (total BS since I do and its inspected). They tried to get me way down on price with my trailer included, so then they left.

I had plans on leaving right after and going for a new car, so I was kinda bummed out, kind pissed off at the offer, and just annoyed that my time was wasted. So here is a picture with my Fiances dog.

IMG-0556 by minthinrich, on Flickr
                        Last edited by hinrichs; 03-19-2020, 12:32 PM.
                        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Man selling cars sucks, and selling racecars even more. People just come for a joyride in a quick car and just waste the owner's time.

Well, at least it runs again and you can maybe enjoy it for a bit more

Comment

• I don’t understand some people. The same thing happened while I was selling the 2002. Every time someone showed up without a trailer I knew I was just in for another hour of my time wasted. Hope the right buyer comes along soon!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                              Man selling cars sucks, and selling racecars even more. People just come for a joyride in a quick car and just waste the owner's time.

Well, at least it runs again and you can maybe enjoy it for a bit more
                              I kind of knew right away after a few things he said that he just did not understand what he was actually looking at. I sent so many pictures and photos it was crazy. And to drive a 400 mile trip for nothing amazed me.

Originally posted by bwwaaaa View Post
                              I don’t understand some people. The same thing happened while I was selling the 2002. Every time someone showed up without a trailer I knew I was just in for another hour of my time wasted. Hope the right buyer comes along soon!
                              I have another guy who wants it, and funny enough the original guy got back in touch with me after a week. The biggest thing holding everyone up now tho is the economy. I am still working on the car here and there incase I do have to race it this year. I am just holding off on the things I really want to do like a new cage.

Since I will be working from home for a little while, I ordered some rear subframe bushings and diff mounts. Gotta keep ticking off small boxes while I have nothing to do.
                              Last edited by hinrichs; 03-20-2020, 09:33 AM.
                              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Man that sucks that guy ended up being a time waster hopefully someone else comes through despite the economy.

I'm sure someone is panic selling a nice E46 m3 for a decent deal right about now haha

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                                "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                                SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X