Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame notching

So, who's done it/needs it?

I've been having ridiculous vibrations whenever I take a sharp turn. At first I thought "I'm low, probably the tires rubbing my fender liner or something else." and passed it off. Well, today I got to thinking after checking out some threads on the tex', so I went out and started figuring out how much space I actually had between my frame and the drive axle. Lo and behold, my passenger side axle to frame space is less than 5mm (I couldn't fit my finger between the gap at all) and so I shined a flashlight into the area and saw the tell tale bare metal and marks on the axle.

So, along with lowering my car a bit more it seems like I'll be needing to notch my frame, or at least the passenger side.

So, who else has their frame notched on coils and, how exactly is it done? I don't see any DIY's on the subject but from reading it looks like I'll need a 3" hole saw to cut out a hole, grind that down, weld a little metal over that, and then rust proof the area with paint.

Sweet baby Jesus...

Make sure you use Tube and not Pipe as Pipe has no structural integrity. Also, when welding the new piece in take your time and work slow while blowing compressed air on the welds. Your fuel and evap lines run through the inside layer of the frame rail and the heat from welding can heat up the rail and melt your lines.
    “The first race was conceived when the second car was built.”

+ Josh @ BlownEuros

Comment

my car has a self made notch just turn the radio up and dont think about it

Comment

Originally posted by ginger_snaps View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ginger_snaps View Post
          I'd love too, would be the perfect excuse to get Raxles when my stock axle broke...sadly I just lost my job so the funds to even replace a stocker aren't available.

Sweet baby Jesus...

Comment

I did mine right when i got air, i needed it when i was on coils it selfnotched enough where it was tolerable eventually, basically, get a piece of pipe the width of your axle, cut it in half, get a hole saw around the same size, cut the frame, weld in the pipe, grind it down, then throw some undercoating on it. I have since got mine re-notched because my original one wasnt big enough, ill throw a new pic up tomorrow i havent taken one since the latest
            gengstout.com
            DSDAF10

Comment

Awesome. Thanks a lot for that.

I know I won't be staying at my current height at all, and bags may be in the future (damn you air ride forum!) so I'm just going to go ahead and notch it once and pray I won't need it again.

Any idea what the diameter on raxles is? I figure I'll just work at that size since I know they're going to be coming sooner or later with the abuse my stock axles have been taking.

Sweet baby Jesus...

Comment

I did it on accident..

Comment

Working...
                X