The teenage budget 1973 Celica ST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The teenage budget 1973 Celica ST

Sadly, My flickr links broke and I really do not want to take the time and fix them, so if you want pictures, I only have the most recent ones (Last page)

Hello, everyone, some of you may know that I posted a wanted ad a while ago. Many Celica's, both liftback's and coupe's past on through and I didn't have enough time to get them, being on an island can suck sometimes. Anyways, after viewing something like 50 Celica's, I finally decided to post a WTB ad on Craigslist for any JNC from the 60's to the 80's, any body style. I even had an offer for a Toyota Crown wagon, from the early 70's if I remember right. I really regret letting that opportunity slip by, and I should have jumped on it (parts car included), but I didn't want to dare try and find parts for it in the U.S. and I don't have any connections in Japan. Problems of being young and inexperienced.

BACK ON TOPIC:
    So I got an email from a guy named Robert, who is well known in the Celica community. Really nice guy, talked to him on day and he held it for me for a week in order for me to get time to pick it up. Went over there today, the 29th of August, with our Sienna van (pics later) and borrowed his dolly to get it over to my house. We almost had an accident getting it off of the trailer, the strap was loose and it almost just came right off. Rolled it right off, and right now it sits.

The work:
    Right now there is no carb on it, so we cannot attempt to start it until we get one, which I am sourcing. He gave us a Weber (26/27?) but we need an adapter, and we just decided starting on the stock would be easier to begin with. Interior isn't really that bad, mainly just needs some rust repair on the drivers side floor pan, a carpet, and 2 front seats. Back seats are fine, same with the panels. Also needs work in the dash, as the electrical is all torn out and needs some replacement, and it also needs some new speakers/radio. It is missing the console, but I am thinking of mocking up one myself and just spraying it with bedliner or covering it in something. The body contains some rust, mainly in the spare wheel well and the drivers side behind this door. Hood also has some surface rust, and there are some body filler spots that I can see, oh well.

RIGHT! I forgot! The engine is an 18R-U, I know that it shares the same components as the RC, but is there any other difference really? And I know that it is a J-spec emmisions control. Thanks

The Plans:
    Even though my dad and some of you may not agree, I am not planning for this to be a restoration, more of a resto-mod, with less resto. Paint will be the biggest expense, and wheels, but I am also looking into fender flares and both spoilers, chin and rear. I will also try to make money for coilovers, because I want to get this thing low, but not too low, because I think Vashon has more potholes than all world combined. No one cares about our roads Crying or Very sad.

AND for you StanceWorks People, yes, it will be lowered, have deep, deep, DEEP wheels. I'm talkin' DEEP. No idea what wheels yet, but I will find some. And keep in mind, this is a teenage budget, so it may be a bit slow. Will try and update as much as I can, but minor updates may not be on this thread, only on the ClassicCelica thread.

The Pictures:
    Okay, now the exciting part!
    Sorry for the poor quality, my camera just decided to crap out today, and I have to use my phone. Here we go:

Last edited by hackrtanman; 07-30-2015, 11:25 PM.

1973 Celica
    Tanner Stinson
    ASU '19

Nice. I'm betting that's a weber 32/36. Not a bad car but I'd love to see a set of sidedrafts. Hit me up if you need any advice or if you want to sell that weber. It would be great for a subaru project I have.
    Welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
      Nice. I'm betting that's a weber 32/36. Not a bad car but I'd love to see a set of sidedrafts. Hit me up if you need any advice or if you want to sell that weber. It would be great for a subaru project I have.
      Welcome.
      Yeah, once I get a stock one to at least get it running Id probably sell it. No idea how it runs, but I'm sure it's fine. As for carbs later on, I'm thinkin ' about Mikunis, they sound orgasmic.

EDIT: Oh hey, I just realized you live in Sequim. I travel up there quite often, actually
      Last edited by hackrtanman; 08-29-2013, 10:48 PM.

1973 Celica
      Tanner Stinson
      ASU '19

Comment

Absolutely love these celica's. can't wait to see this fixed up
        1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
        1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

I had an ra21 man there great cars can't wait to see this finished

Comment

whatup man! check out my oldschool group, we got alot of people in the NW and in socal.

my buddy milton has a old celica with a high comp 4ag build going into it.

Comment

I am sure we can help you find/ help with anything you need.

Comment

Originally posted by corolllin View Post
                I am sure we can help you find/ help with anything you need.
                Oh hey thanks! Yeah I was actually thinkin' about swapping a 4age into it, if I do an engine swap in the future (Probably, 100 horse ain't much). Yeah I'm lookin for parts, I've been scanning Ebay and Craigslist now.

1973 Celica
                Tanner Stinson
                ASU '19

Comment

Originally posted by hackrtanman View Post
                  Yeah, once I get a stock one to at least get it running Id probably sell it. No idea how it runs, but I'm sure it's fine. As for carbs later on, I'm thinkin ' about Mikunis, they sound orgasmic.

EDIT: Oh hey, I just realized you live in Sequim. I travel up there quite often, actually
                  Send me a message when you come up next time. we'll meet up.

Comment

Send me a message when you come up next time. we'll meet up.
                    Alright, no problem.

Also, here are some pictures for and idea of what I am shooting for.

And as for wheels, I think steelies may look that best, but if I do a metallic blue paint like I am planning, I may do a bronze wheel setup, kinda like WRX/STI color combo. I'd love to get wheels like these, or Work Equips, but those are a bit more expensive for now.

Finally, I ordered a manual online and should be getting it in the middle of the week. Mainly I need this because the dash was torn apart and the switch's were all ripped out, as you could see in the pics. Tomorrow I will be getting a battery, so hopefully by Sunday I will have another "productive" post.

EDIT: RIGHT I FORGOT ABOUT THE LOWER!
                    So, the main reason this website was made is for stanced cars, not projects. With that said, I shall be ordering Ground Control coilovers sometimes, 200 bucks to go lower but oh well. I may try and get a better deal on them, Ebay or somethin else.
                    Last edited by hackrtanman; 08-31-2013, 12:03 AM.

1973 Celica
                    Tanner Stinson
                    ASU '19

Comment

Alright, good news and bad news. Today I grabbed a battery for 40 bucks, trickle charged it, and dropped it in just a couple hours ago. Engine turns over, gas pump works as we found out haha, but electrical is an issue. So far, the only working lights are the drivers side brakes lights, the drivers side front brake lights, and that's it. Although, after further investigation, it is most likely the bulbs on some, because we swapped the bulbs to the other side and they worked fine. Headlights aren't working, neither are turn signals, so I may break out the meter and test to see if any power is going to them, or if it's the bulbs. May have a lead on the carburetor, so that may be coming up.

Also today I cleaned up and REALLY Looked at the rust. it is quite prominent, but nothing a torch cant fix. I'm also starting to look at wheels, and deep steelies may be the first for the car, possibly bronze because metallic blue and bronze looks damn fine. That's it for now, no pictures yet, nothing has changed.

1973 Celica
                      Tanner Stinson
                      ASU '19

Comment

Good luck figuring out the electrical. I hope it's nothing serious. I like the idea of the bronze steelies. But the 4 spoke look is something I really like on a car like that.

Comment

I just noticed that the local snowboard builders have a Celica with a tree on it at their shop. Next time your out here, I'll see if you could grab a couple parts or cut up a few panels for rust patching.

Comment

I just noticed that the local snowboard builders have a Celica with a tree on it at their shop. Next time your out here, I'll see if you could grab a couple parts or cut up a few panels for rust patching.

Oh man, that's awesome! I don't suppose you noticed/heard if there are any engine parts or interior (probably not in good shape)? Those are the things I am mainly focusing on right now. Thanks for informing me!

1973 Celica
                            Tanner Stinson
                            ASU '19

Comment

This is gunna be great car, It's going to be really fun to see your progress!

Comment

Working...
                              X