Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Jetta Coupe 1.8t (OHIO)

Hello Stance|Works,

I've been on this forum for awhile, but never really post.
    My Coupe is up for sale, and I figured I would post it up here as well.
    Ad is copy/pasted from the Vortex.
    Thanks for looking!

!UPDATE!

I have fixed some photos. My email got hacked and I lost my flickr account, so a lot of those photos, including ones in my build thread, were missing or broken. I have PLENTY of photos, so if you want to see anything specific, please let me know.

Anyways, I've decided I don't want to store the car this winter and I am willing to let it go for less than I want to take. I am running out of room and need this gone.

NEW PRICE AS IS:

$6500!!!! firm

Anyone who knows this car, knows it's a steal at this price. It won't last for long. My loss is your gain. Blah blah blah.

Please help me find a new home for this amazing automobile.

Thanks!

Onto the original post:

Hello fellow Vortexers!

Let me just start by saying I don't HAVE to sell this car, but rather I feel it's time for me to move onto other projects. This project has been great, and I really love this car, but I've realized that I love the "project" aspect more so than the "driving" aspect of most cars. I feel that someone could take what I've created here, combined with some elbow grease and creative thinking, and have themselves a really solid, great performing, and show worthy car.

Anyways, onto the details:

-1981 Jetta Coupe
    -originally a California car
    -originally a 1.6 non-turbo diesel
    -124xxx miles on odometer
    -blue tweed interior

Engine/Drivetrain:
    -AEB 1.8t from a 1998 Passat that I owned prior
    -Supertech SS exhaust valves with black nitride coating
    -new headgasket/bolts
    -new gaskets all around
    -new valve seals and re-lapped valves
    -Audi TT 225HP intake manifold
    -custom machined AEB valve cover
    -new Bahn Brenner machined crank pulley
    -new steel MK3 oil pan with provision for factory oil return line
    -MK3 ABA oil filter housing with provision for factory oil feed line
    -MK3 ABA accessory bracket and alternator
    -VR6 waterpump pulley and single serpentine belt
    -42DD crankcase breather adapter with -10 line dumped to atmosphere
    -02J transmission from a MK4 Jetta 2.0
    -3.63 ring and pinion from a MK3 VR6 to lengthen gearset
    -.75 TDI 5th gear
    -ARP heavy duty ring gear bolts
    -new factory single mass flywheel conversion
    -new factory clutch and pressure plate
    -custom hidden hydraulic clutch setup
    -new Corrado clutch master cylinder
    -new MK3 VR6 clutch slave cylinder
    -custom stainless braided clutch line
    -Honda clutch fluid reservoir mounted under dash
    -cable shifter box mounted under car
    -Cabriolet 100mm axels
    -BFI stage 1 polyurethane engine, trans, and snub mount
    -Prothane polyurethane rear trans mount
    -NLS trans mount brackets
    -3in downpipe and full exhaust
    -single Dynomax VT muffler in rear
    -front mount intercooler mounted behind grille
    -custom aluminum charge piping
    -Eurospec grenade diverter valve
    -custom 3in aluminum intake pipe with Spectre filter
    -black silicone couplers
    -fuel cell in spare tire well
    -new Walbro inline pump
    -new fuel sending unit in cell that works with factory gauge
    -APR 91 octane tuning running 16lbs of boost with a manual boost controller

Braking:
    -Cabriolet spindles
    -new wheel bearings
    -new 10.1in vented front discs
    -rebuilt Scirocco 16v front calipers
    -Scirocco 16v rear disc brake stub axels and caliper brackets
    -MK4 aluminum rear calipers
    -crossdrilled rear rotors
    -new ECS stainless braided soft lines all around
    -Cabriolet brake booster painted gloss black
    -new MK3 22mm master cylinder

Suspension:
    -Patec Holeshot series coilovers
    -Prothane polyurethane front control arm, rear subframe, steering rack, and rear shock mount bushings

Wheels/Tires:
    -15x7 Borbet Type C wheels
    -165/45R15 Federal Formoza FD1 tires with good tread all around

Interior:
    -new BEAUTIFUL Blue vinyl Recaro front seats with adjustable lumbar support and armrest
    -MK2 Recaro power seat bases
    -woodgrain Nardi wheel
    -MOMO hub and polished Nardi adapter

Electronic Stuff:
    -new Painless aftermarket fuseblock to run everything for the swap
    -MK3 wiper motor swap
    -working check engine light that uses the old "glow plug" light in the dash
    -OBD2 port in ash tray to check fault codes
    -battery relocated to trunk

Body:
    -new windshield and seal
    -black flag mirrors
    -solid front windows instead of vented
    -new BFI Rabbit euro bumpers
    -new BFI front turn signals
    -shaved rain tray
    -shaved unnecessary brackets in engine bay including battery tray

Now, you're probably thinking "Why haven't I bought this car already?! It's just so perfect!" Well sir or ma'am, you'd almost be correct. But with all good things there has to be SOME bad stuff right? I will try to go into extreme detail about what I think is wrong with the car just so there is full disclosure.

-a bit of rust under the trunk seal
    -minimal rust on the corners of the trunk lid
    -very minor little surface rust here and there on the body
    -front valence is dented from hitting a tire tread on the highway
    -factory paint is dull, but not terrible for being 30+ years old
    -same goes for the factory striping along the bottom of the doors and quarter panels
    -slight vibration in the steering wheel at accelerated highway speeds (75mph+, nothing I don't think a good tire balance wouldn't fix) WHEELS BALANCED AND VIBRATION FIXED!
    -slight noise from one of the front wheel bearings (I can diagnose and fix this before sale if requested) DIAGNOSED AND WHEEL BEARING REPLACED!
    -takes on a slight bit of water during heavy rains (what MK1 doesn't?)
    -certain interior plastics are dull and oxidized (from being in the hot Cali sun most of its life) NEW CENTER CONSOLE ACQUIRED TO REPLACE THE OLD OXIDIZED ONE!
    -odometer is broken, and because of this there is an odometer discrepancy on the title (got it this way, milage is the same as the title says)
    -speedo isn't extremely accurate (reads 5-8mph higher than traveling speed, mostly at higher speed)
    -radio doesn't work (it's an aftermarket Blaupunkt from the mid-eighties and it looks too cool to replace)
    -I don't have a proper battery tray in the trunk, but rather the battery is strapped in a milk crate and secured to the back (really been meaning to fix this) I WILL PERMANENTLY SECURE THE BATTERY BEFORE SALE!
    -CEL is on (for missing sensors that aren't necessary for the swap, but hey, isn't a MK1 with a working CEL kinda cool?!)

That being said, I still think this car is SOLID AS A ROCK. In fact I drove it daily for almost a year, until the snow started making the 165's work a little too hard. I drove this car to H2Oi in 2012 and a variety of shows in 2013 including SOWO. I have complete confidence in this cars ability to drive every day, and make these trips. This car is very light and peppy, and super fun to drive. It surprises a lot of people and isn't so flashy that it draws a lot of attention. I would love to see the faces of people who are getting passed quickly on the highway by an old Jetta with a Diesel badge still on the back.

Now, don't think I'm just going to leave you with the sour taste of what I think is wrong with this car still in your mouth. I wouldn't do that. I'll leave you with a list of extra goodies you will receive with the car upon completion of the transaction. I've been stockpiling parts to go along with this deal.

-good trunk lid with ZERO rust to replace the one on it (painted white so you'll have to fix that)
    -extra set of tail lights (MK1 Jetta guys will tell you how hard these are to come by)
    -new front crossmember support that I never installed (super beefy)
    -120mph speedometer to replace the one with the bad odometer (plus you'll get to know how fast you're going after 85mph)
    -factory blue Wolfsburg steering wheel that came in the car
    -a set of MK1 Scirocco headlights and grilles that I was going to fit in the front of the coupe (I love the look!)
    -extra center armrest for the Recaro's
    -original full sized spare tire and tools NEVER USED and in perfect condition (really cool actually)
    -I know I have a box or two of miscellaneous little bits and pieces that were purchased or came off the car

Anyways, thats all.
    Like I mentioned before, I run a full disclosure operation here and I'm not trying to fool anyone. If there is anything I missed, I will gladly make the proper updates to this thread. If there are ANY questions, PLEASE ASK and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Also, check out my build thread for this car so you can see its progression into the car it is today:

The car is located in Southwest Ohio in Cincinnati. I will allow test drives and meet up with people who are seriously interested. Please no tire kickers. I don't have the time or energy to waste.

Asking price is $6500 Wow! This price is dropping all the time!

I am not looking to trade for anything considering I already have a fleet of cars/bikes that need work. Thank you for your consideration.

Onto the pics:

Thank You for Reading!

-Nick
Working...
X