No announcement yet.

Inner Barrel question, Paint or Polish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner Barrel question, Paint or Polish?

I'm about to start the process of refinishing two sets of BMW Splits (Style 19's and Style 5's) and just wondering what you guys thought about how to treat the inner portion of the barrel. Polishing seems like the right way to go but ... keeping them clean or even seen may not really be worth it at the end of the day, so I suppose I'd love to hear what others are doing.

So what's your take?
    Polish those babes
    0%
    Paint them black
    0%
    Paint silver or leave bare
    0%
    Fleet

'95 E36 Compact | m50tu | 3.45LSD | Autopilot V2, AirLift Performance Series (F), Air House 2 (R) - BUILD THREAD

'02 E39 540i Touring | Muffler Delete | Autopilot V2, AirLift Performance Series (F), RE5 (R) - BUILD THREAD

Paint them black, or a dark gray, that way road grime wont show through. You won't be able to see the black barrels on the Style 5's very much at all. The Style 19's might look a little weird if you can tell that the barrels are painted black, but thats what I plan to do with my BBS wheels i'm refinishing with the same barrel design 2 piece setup as the Style 5/19

For the style 5's paint them black, for the 19's if the faces are still going to be silver, paint them silver. That's my opinion.

Follow Me On Instagram! @jvc8790 #jvcphotography

Comment

If you polish, have them either powdered clear after or anodized. You will regret it otherwise.

Satin black inner powdercoat is the easiest from experience to keep up with
      sigpic
      1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
      1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
        If you polish, have them either powdered clear after or anodized. You will regret it otherwise.

Satin black inner powdercoat is the easiest from experience to keep up with
        +1 Going to pick up my barrels from the powdercoater today. Went with satin black for an easy durable finish.

Comment

Paint them unless its a showcar getting low and well maintained miles, then I could see polishing the barrels. I did it once for a set of style 5s, never again, it completely was not worth the time/hassle.

Comment

Definitely not polish, unless you want to remove the wheels every time you wash the car to clean it so there's no crap on them lol.

1988 300zx-t

Comment

Yeah, some good points in here for sure. I'm going to be running the Style 19's on the car so I feel like I'm going to want to do something to the inner, however I'd definitely NOT want to remove them every time I wash the car to clean up a polished bit, thought about polish and then clearcoat but still I'd need to keep 'em clean. I may just do the same color I'm planning on doing to the face and be done with it.
              Fleet

'95 E36 Compact | m50tu | 3.45LSD | Autopilot V2, AirLift Performance Series (F), Air House 2 (R) - BUILD THREAD

'02 E39 540i Touring | Muffler Delete | Autopilot V2, AirLift Performance Series (F), RE5 (R) - BUILD THREAD

Comment

Black powder coat
                StayLowAndTucked my friends

Comment

Working...
                X