Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokenyall
    replied
    Just ordered a new shock from airlift that should be on my doorstep by friday, So this weekend the car is going to be on bags, well at least the front for now baha

Leave a comment:

• smokenyall
    replied
    Originally posted by dumped_es300 View Post
    In for more!! love this thread!!!!!!!
    Well I did some of this

Did a test fit which ended up great, had more clerance then I was expecting

Then of course nothing ever goes right, when I was doin the last weld on the strut this happened

A pin hole appeared while I was welding so all the pressurized gas caught fire and shot out all over me, burning my arm and burning some of the hair on my head, so at the end of the day the car got put back together with me being pissed off and pulling a collar on my current setup. So now I have to wait till Monday to order a new shock from airlift which sucks because I was literally so close to having the car finished, oh well things happen for a reason I guess.

Leave a comment:

• dumped_es300
    replied
    In for more!! love this thread!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• smokenyall
    replied
    Yea that's true but being slammed makes my bumper support lower than a normal cars bumper, If I get rear ended there bumper is going right Into my taillights. The tank is aluminum and my cutoff pressure is 145psi, I also plan on doing a nice led retrofit in my taillights to make them bright as fuck!!! So they have no excuse to rear end me. Oh and I've already looked into it and they make air tanks as rear bumpers for trucks.

Leave a comment:

• CubbyChowder
    replied
    I think you did a good job hiding the tank and compressors, and I like the concept, but I can't help but feel like your car just became a lot more dangerous to rear end.

Leave a comment:

• smokenyall
    replied
    Well I wanna go lower but roads won't allow me, so it's time to no longer ride static, so I installed a 2.5gal tank and two viair 380c behind my rear bumper

Mounted the compressors by making these plates to mount the compressor to the bumper support

Isolated the compressor from the plate similar to the factory mount

All under the bumper with no trimming needed

Installed some switches in my center console

I also purchased an airlift diy kit for the front so I got modding on those first thing I did was trim down the tabs to mount to the splindle

A whole bunch of measuring later I got the steering arms welded on and got the lower mounts mocked up

The lower strut tube finished

That's it for now till the rest of my air line gets here, I cut the upper strut mount down to size, and weld the shock to the lower tube. The car will be riding on air by the weekend .

Leave a comment:

• smokenyall
    replied
    Originally posted by MYuckamo View Post
    Wow. Just wow.
    Signed up just to say this. Have fun when you go over a speedbump!
    Signed up to say that to me? There's threads on here with cars lower than mine so go ahead and tell those lower than me, k thanks

Oh and freeway Rollin shot for the win!!
    Last edited by smokenyall; 08-19-2013, 02:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• smokenyall
    replied
    Wow haven't checked this build in a while, didn't realize there was a new page of posts lol, and she's still running great at 295,000 I honestly drive the shit out of this car and iv never had a problem, I baby the motor and tranny but I beat the suspension in cornering and back roads. I check the tightness of the bolts every time I change my oil and they've never became loose or have shifted. I will replace the nuts with solid spacers when I put new springs in the front, the shocks up front have softened up a little bit but there still not leaking at all, gotta love oem lol, my GF still says my car rides better then her Grand Prix and rides 100x better than my friends jetta on rokkors.
    Ill take some new pics of the top hats since idk if I ever posted any after i fixed the issues. Yea I will admit they looked gettoh as fuck at first but it was primarily just a test fit to make sure the concept worked, there's only 3 nuts a spacers which are drilled out and they don't thread onto the bolt at all there just spacers lol and the nuts I was using as misalignment spacers were just to try it out why the proper spacers where on the way. Oh and btw my other amp just came in the mail so hopefully that will be installed tomorrow after work.

Leave a comment:

• 244Brick
    replied
    Any new updates!?

Leave a comment:

• CrackerTeg
    replied
    Are you done with your rant? If so, GTFO. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Engineer15
    replied
    You guys suck, he is asking for advice and you all crap on him, no one even suggested a valid solution. Using nuts as spacers is definitely not the way to go, but other than that you are all missing the issue which is not the bolts strength in tension, but struts change angles and have to take some of the lateral forces from cornering, putting all that force into the bolts may cause them to shear. Just going over bumps would not be an issue with correct spacers instead of nuts, he set that part up fine and put plates underneath the strut to distribute the load forces

He just needs a way to transfer the lateral loads to the strut tower which he could do with a machined hollow cylinder essentially that the bolts pass through. That way the only forces the bolts experience are in tension, and the friction between the top plate, the cylindrical spacer, and the strut tower prevents lateral movement of the top of the strut preventing the bolts from shearing.

So many of you are "bolt on" whores. Just because something is custom and not brand name or a product you can buy does not mean it is bad. Sure the original design was not the best, but he did a lot of things correctly. You people are the hipsters of the car world, you all think you are so different from everyone else but you are all the same as each other. Try working on car that has no aftermarket support.

Of course I am generalizing, some of the builds on this forum are awesome of course, I am mainly targeting everyone who knows nothing about engineering who is crapping on this guy just because of how this looks. It just pisses me off to see a guy making an honest effort at doing things his own way, and when he gets into a place where he does not know how to fix his design issues, instead of offering him genuine help you just troll on him. You guys have no idea what is going on either, you just know it doesn't "look right."

I respect all car guys because there are not that many of us anymore, and everyone does things differently. Stop being dicks and help this guy out, everyone starts somewhere, why would you discourage him? You all look like idiots!

To the OP, don't listen to everyone calling you dumb, to people who actually know physics they look stupider than they think you do.

I prefer function over form but to each his own and I am glad you are still here doing your thing.
    Last edited by Engineer15; 08-08-2013, 01:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BreadBaskett
    replied
    I wasn't a fan at the start, but I changed my mind after reading through it. Keep chuggin' on man!

Leave a comment:

• MYuckamo
    replied
    Wow. Just wow.
    Signed up just to say this. Have fun when you go over a speedbump!

Leave a comment:

• Matt K
    replied
    why dont you just get extended top hats for the coilovers?

/old el paso celebration scene.

Leave a comment:

• smokenyall
    replied
    Originally posted by Stupid Kid View Post
    Wait whut?
    oh shit this thread is still alive? cool, props to you.

Whats your box tuned to?
    I'm running a pair of sa-12's and an mbquart 1500d so your setup is relevant to my interests
    It's tuned to 29hz it's a 7cubic foot box , ill get some new vids up when I'm running 3k

Leave a comment:

Working...
X