Shorter Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorter Springs

I have been lurking on this forum for far too long, and it's all because my stance isn't where I want it to be. I will make an intro thread soon, but first I need some info.

Car in question is an ' 04 VW R32.

I'm thinking about buying shorter springs to see if I can get my ride height a little bit lower. Currently I'm sitting on koni coilovers with H&R 200mm long, 60mm id race springs with shorter audi strut bushings sitting at 23.5inches fender/ground on the driver side and 24 fender/ground on the pass. side. The collars are spun down completely, and the smaller of the two(the one underneath) has been removed.

For whatever reason, the two sides are different. I want to be able to drop it lower than 23.5 so I can even out the sides. I can pick up 180mm long springs or 160mm long springs. When I install these, am I going to get a 20-40mm drop as easy as that? And if so, would you say I'd be better off going with the shorter of the two and adjusting more or just chance it getting the 180mm?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The quicker I get help the quicker you get pics

|| Forester thread || E46 M3 || MK4 R32 (sold) || MK3 VR6 (sold) ||

Afco racing.

Comment

I appreciate the quick response, and I already have a dealer for the springs. I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it would be possible to buy too short of a spring. When people order shorter springs, usually how much shorter do they go versus the stock coil spring? I will be upgrading to spring rate so the ride quality is taken care of.

Comment

yes, you need to watch for coil binding. there are many factors that will determine if it will bind or not when going with the shorter spring. obviously the length, spring rate, weight on the spring, etc.....
        Originally posted by Kielan
        I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Oh shit, its new fancy.

Comment

Maybe on DK but here you're new fancy since I joined before you. lol

I ordered the shorter of the two.. if they are too short I'll just bite the bullet and get another set.

Comment

Originally posted by FancyGoLF View Post
              Maybe on DK but here you're new fancy since I joined before you. lol

I ordered the shorter of the two.. if they are too short I'll just bite the bullet and get another set.
              orly?

Comment

Damnit!!!

Static fancy is better than air fancy so idc

Comment

I ended up going with a 40mm shorter spring.. but bumping the rate from the koni rate(50-60?) to 90 nm/lb. Let me tell you.. It dropped about another 3/4 of an inch to an inch.. They were installed friday so they are still settling.

With the stock koni springs I was at 23.5" fender to ground.

I am now at that with 15-20 threads to go in front. I'd say they worked quite well.

It also rides better

I now need wheels, tires, and some shifting of the subframe to help with the rubbing.All the way slammed I polished the inside of the fender on the driver side while the pass side had about a fingers gap from it. Only thing I can think of is the subframe being shifted to the driver side a tad.. Need to loosen some bolts and start kicking.

Comment

Working...
                  X