Nikon D700 or Canon 5D Mk II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon D700 or Canon 5D Mk II

Please don't let this become a Nikon vs. Canon thing...

My wife is making the switch to full-frame for her photography stuff. She's been shooting on nikon for a while now and has a great collection of DX lenses...so either way we are buying new lenses. We have the nikon flashes but I can use them on my D90 if she switches so thats not an issue either...

We love the nikon ergonomics a lot; but the larger megapixels on the canon make it great for the large canvases that she has printed for her clients. i have read on numerous sites including canon sites that at high iso's the nikon does outperform, but she does studio and outside shooting so i dont see this being as large of an issue as say a wedding photographer that can't use a flash during the ceremony.

So i guess I am just looking for some input. The nikon lenses are more $$$ then canon overall; but nikon lenses almost always outperform in the scientific tests; but how scientific will clients be examining a picture when its taken at 12+mp and they decided to get a 5x7 printed???

Also to throw a kink in the mix...is the Canon 7D rumors true? Basically a 5D with only 15mp, but 8 frames/second, and under $2k? Would be nice...

I will probably stay with my nikon d90 either way. FX and DX can't really swap lenses and buying 2 bodies to share canon lenses wouldn't be too cost effective right now so this isn't a concern.

do you have any other nikon accessories? it seems she shoots pretty seriously? i love my d700. i was tempted to go 5dmark2 but i had a few items that would be usable on the nikon. I believe the canon is lighter but i reallllly prefer the feel of the nikon. im sure shell love both, let us know what she does!

Comment

im going to say Canon for no other reason then the fact that I am biased.

In all honesty, if she is comfortable with the Nikon then stick with it. Feeling good while you shoot and trusting the equipment can go a long way in getting great shots.
      “The first race was conceived when the second car was built.”

+ Josh @ BlownEuros

Comment

she definitely is serious about it. she started her own photography business a few months ago and has been booking up just by word of mouth. she was working as a second shooter and assisting for a friend (established local pro). her friend shot only with nikon, i shot with nikon so just starting out nikon was the obvious choice.

most of the accessories she has she stole from my collection so i wouldnt mind getting them back full frame can only use some of her lenses so almost everything will need to be sold anyways (after i take what i want)

Comment

i guess the next step is to go and hold/use them. does she like her friend's D3? the only thing my biased nikon self can point out about the canon is that is has a bajillion megapixles which i like for cropping of portraits.

Comment

I'm a hard-core Nikon guy and I'd go 5D over a D700 every day of the week.

Comment

Woah...

Link to rumor on 7D? Even I have not heard of this...

*edit*

So it sounds more like the rumor numbers may not be 'real' numbers. Many think it needs to be a d300 competitor. The Canon 50D is as close a competitor as Canon offers and the d300 smacks it around and makes the camera it's bitch.

I can hope though... 7D, FF, Fast AF, More focus Points... for ~2000.

To reply to the post. I don't really think you can go wrong with either but for studio shooting it seems the 5D was king before and now it is updated. If you are printing large or doing large cropping it would be nice as well. With that said I was able to shoot a d700 and have played with Mike's cameras and switching to Nikon would not be out of the question for me
              Last edited by dinanm3atl; 08-25-2009, 11:20 AM.

Comment

5d all the way....

Comment

Just incase you hadn't heard yet.

Article 7D on Giz

Yep, it's real. The Canon 7D is an 18-megapixel semi-pro DSLR that shoots 1080p video in 24—or 30—glorious frames per second for $1899, kicking Nikon's previously unchallenged D300s where it hurts. But it's also an odd little beast.

The 7D feels like Canon took the results of a survey they handed out to people about what they wanted in a camera and crammed 'em all into one product targeted at semi-pros. Full HD video with manual exposure in 24, 25 or 30 frames per second, check. More rugged, weatherproof body than 5D, check. Customizable buttons, including a new multifunction button, check. A dedicated button for switching to RAW+JPEG mode. Um, check. Electronic axis level? Also check. It has dual DIGIC IV image processors, the first model outside of the pro 1Ds line with dual image processors for fast burst shooting: 8FPS with 94-shot JPEG bursts (124 with UDMA card) or 15 RAW shots, all at full resolution with 14-bit A/D conversion.

But, it's not full-frame: They've crammed 18 megapixels into an APS-C-sized sensor (like in the Rebel series or 50D, versus full-frame in the 5D) with an ISO range from 100-6400, and a Hi setting of 12,800. Canon says they've shortened the distance between the photodiodes in the sensor, which decreases light falloff, supposedly translating into better high ISO performance.

We got to shoot with a beta pre-production model for a little while in midtown using a couple of Canon's new EF-S lenses—a 15-85mm ($800, coming in Oct.) that's replacing the old 17-85mm, and a 100mm macro lens ($1050, out in Sept.)—so you can see some of the low-light results, along with other samples, below. (Again, Canon would like us to reiterate that the pictures are from a pre-production sample, i.e., not final product.)

Here's a close-up on those guitars comparing the different ISO levels. At ISO1600, it's not so bad, even if it's not 5D level, but it starts getting kinda gruesome at ISO3200 (click to make bigger):

Video
                  It might just be the best video on a DSLR yet: Manual exposure from the get-go, and oh yeah, the ability to shoot 1080p video at 30, 24 or 25 frames per second. If you cut it to 720p, you can shoot up to 60FPS. Also, video is encoded using H.264 now. There's a dedicated switch to flip from shooting stills to video that encircles a start/stop button for recording, so it's much easier to get right to shooting video than the 5D. You can see some sample videos below:

Everything Else
                  Okay, so what else? Focusing system has 19 cross-type points, with a new way to focus in addition to the usual full-blast autofocus vs. single-point—zones, which are clusters of points. You can also lock different default focus points for horizontal and vertical orientations, so you can turn the camera back and worth without having to repick your focus point. (Setting it up is a little confusing—even the Canon rep took a minute to make it happen.) AI servo focus is supposedly smarter, so it tracks moving objects better, and it works with a new light-source detection system that adjusts for flickering light. (We didn't get a chance to check that out.)

The viewfinder provides 100 percent coverage, like the 1Ds, and it uses a new polymer LCD network with a different graphics overlay than the 5D—that's a lot like what Nikon's got in the D300, actually—so it can do things like display the neat new 3D-axis electronic level in the viewfinder (which feels like an iPhone tilt game from hell if you're holding the camera by hand trying to level it on both axes). In a first for Canon, the built-in, wide-coverage flash can command other wireless flash modules.

Oh, did I mention a ton of new buttons? Seriously: A dedicated RAW+JPEG button that'll shoot your next shot in RAW+JPEG if you're only shooting one at the moment. A new start/stop live view button with a control ring to quickly switch from live view to video mode. There's also a new multi-function button on the top right. Aaand another for the custom controls menu, where you can assign different features to different buttons if you want.

Honestly, a lot of the deep customization and new interface commands were confusing, at least in the short time I spent with the camera—like setting different autofocus points for whether you're holding the camera vertically or horizontally. There was some other shortcut that required pressing and holding two buttons at once on the camera. And I never quite understood how to use the multifunction button or pick what graphical display showed up in my viewfinder. I think you would learn a lot of that stuff in time, though. In terms of overall handfeel, I slightly the ergonomics and weight of the D300, FWIW.

The WFT-E5A wireless transmitter for the 7D sounds pretty excellent too: Wireless a/b/g allows you to connect up to 10 cameras ad hoc and remotely control them via smartphone. Also you can transfer photos to any DLNA device. And, finally, you can geotag via Bluetooth. Sadly, it's not coming 'til November and it's 700 bucks.

Final Thoughts
                  While we can't give any final judgments on this in some ways odd camera until we get a review unit, one thing seems certain: The value proposition for Nikon's $1800 D300s—which might've already seemed dicey, given that it's the guts of a 2-year-old camera with a dash of limited 720p video—just got a lot less enticing, simply on account of the 7D's fairly wide video powers. That's before you even take anything else into consideration, like more pixels for more crop potential (if the pixels are good ones, that is). Obviously, we'll be head-to-heading these two as soon as we can. Which should be shortly, since the 7D is due by the end of next month, at $1900 for the kit with an 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, or $1700 body only.

Comment

I saw the details and the 7D is a no go. The 1.6 APS-C sensor kills it. Every single rumor had it as full frame that I saw. So that counts this model out no matter what.

Now the only other thing is if the Nikon D700X is coming soon. Already saw some rumors regarding it...

Originally posted by www.nikonrumors.com

Christian Fletcher is a well known professional photographer from Western Australia and has been a Canon fan for many years – his camera is a Canon 5D MKII. He shoots mainly landscape / panorama. This is what he wrote on his blog a week ago (direct post link):

Comment

Working...
                    X