Help! Stripped out coilover studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Stripped out coilover studs

The guy that I got my coilovers from in Cincinnati is a lying, heaping sack of shit and sold me coils that were nowhere near the condition described. Just replaced a front strut, and a couple of collars... but one of my pillowball mounts is pretty jacked up too... When I was tightening the nuts onto the coil studs two of the studs stripped out and I have no clue how to get the new ones I ordered to stay in. Does anyone have any tips as to how I can still secure the new studs I ordered onto the top mount? The stud itself didn't strip, but the actual hole that it goes through in the pillowball mount was stripped out. I figure as long as I can find a way to get it torqued down to spec and then hit it with some threadlocker I should be good, but I'm still a little confused as to how to even do that. Here are some of my ideas:

1.) Use an angle grinder or a saw to cut a slit into the stud, then use a flathead to hold it from the bottom and torque it from the top. (Problems with structural integrity of the stud?)

2.) JB Weld the stud into the hole, and hope that it has enough strength to hold until I get to the torque specs.

3.) Take it somewhere and have the studs actually welded in, but I'm not sure what else that might mess up if they aren't welded in properly.

Cliff Notes:
    Coilover stud holes are stripped, can't secure new studs and need to figure out how.

Thanks for any help guys.

is it possible to buy a new upper plate?

Comment

helicoil or some kid of thread repair kit in the pillowball mount. I'm assuming it's an aluminum part. Once you're done, you'll end up with a better, more reliable thread than you had when it was tapped aluminum.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Got it fixed, used some grade 8 bolts, a lock washer, regular washer, and a grade 8 nut and it torqued down to spec just fine. Thanks for the tips guys.

Comment

Working...
        X