Question on rusting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on rusting

So, my E34 has a shit ton of rust on it. Enough to warrant the car not worthy for body work. I was thinking to leave the car alone and just drop it and do a turbo. But than I though about rusting the body parts.

What is the best how to guide? I assume it's just strip the panel to bare metal and pour some mild acid onto it and let nature take its course. Now, what happenes when the desired rust is there? Do you seal it? If not what's the stop the car from rusting completely?!

salt vinegar and peroxide...or battery acid and i m not too sure that u can seal it...it wont get too bad where its going to rust through the panel..its just surface rust
    -Jorge-

Comment

That's what I needed to know. I figured it would take a LONG while for it to eat through. And most of the rust has already eaten all the way through. Especially the doors....

Comment

Salt + Vinegar + Peroxide as mentioned is by far the best method I've found.

Strip to bare metal
        Combine mixture above, be sure the salt has dissolved into the solution
        Grab yourself a sponge/wad of paper towels or something, dip into solution
        Wipe it all over the bare spots

It should get a very slightly orange tint immediately, take it for a drive as soon as you get everything covered and the wind speeds up the process pretty good

Same solution will remove the rust again as long as its just on the surface and thin

Comment

Lol, the solution givith, and the solution takeith away.

Comment

can rust be clear coated?
            sigpic
            stanced dc5

Comment

Working...
            X