Adjusting coilovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting coilovers?

so i just got coils and i just wanted to post this to see if i did the lowering right...
    heres a image of the coil

what i did is bolt the bottom to the brakes and such, then i lowered the top part (gold rings)
    so my question is, is there suppose to be a gap from the top of the spring to the top mount?
    KINGSTONPHOTO.NET
    2005 Kia Spectra5 Build

can anyone help? did i lower my car the right way?
    KINGSTONPHOTO.NET
    2005 Kia Spectra5 Build

Comment

the company says i need to adjust the bottom BLACK ring to raise and lower. but i raised and lowered it by adjusting the top ring GOLD one,

the bottom black piece is all threaded so how does that make sense if the brakes are bolted on as shown...
      KINGSTONPHOTO.NET
      2005 Kia Spectra5 Build

Comment

the gold one is for the preload on the spring, set that correctly once and then leave it. the heigh should be adjusted with the lower portion. the lower portion should be threaded, and the shock body will thread into it, up or down, that is how the height is adjusted, at least that is how it is adjusted on my ksports anyways

Comment

so your saying losen the endlink adapter(the piece above the ring) and the ring and it should just lower its self to the ring?
          KINGSTONPHOTO.NET
          2005 Kia Spectra5 Build

Comment

Old thread but here's a video I've made to help anyone looking for help.

Little tutorial on how to adjust a coilover. These are my recently purchased Function/Form coilovers. I currently have Tein SS (Super Street) coilovers in ...

Kind of vague but it should help.

Comment

if you adjust it by the top gold rings, you're playing with suspension travel and spring preload -- not a good thing. like L31 said, set it once and forget it.

i usually loosen the bottom black perch, then rotate the entire shock body to thread it in or out of the bottom shock mount -- i think that's how you're supposed to do it.

it doesn't help me though; my insurance coils can't go any lower using that method and i'll have to start playing with spring droop to get lower. fml.

Comment

Working...
              X