ST coilovers for B6 A4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ST coilovers for B6 A4

I'm heavily considering purchasing some st coilovers for my A4 due to the price and the fact that they are basically considered galvanized variant 1 KW coilovers. Just looking for anyone that can give me a solid review. Not looking to track my car, solely for looks and hopefully not too bad of drivability.

my buddy has a set on his b6 a4 usp. he loves them and drives quite low with them. I can get some more information but other then lack of dampening adjustability he couldnt be happier with his setup.
    sigpic
    1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
    1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

I dont really care much about dampening, I honestly probably wouldnt use it if I had it. I just want to make sure they go low enough to tuck some tire. If you could, will you just ask him roughly how low they are capable of going. I'd at least want to be tucking the tire a tad. I got a good deal lined up and peoples reviews are going to help me decide.

Comment

I had them on my b5 a4 and they are not bad at all if u want to get low for a good price.Its best to get in on a GB to get a good deal and they go crazy low.I plan on getting st coils on my b6 soon so if u got a hook up lmk. This is my old b5 on st coils and Im only halfway and its touching the fender
        when it comes to wheels money should never be an issue, fitment should -me

04 Audi 1.8T USP //HRE's 546(summer)DPE WHEELS R06S R SERIES(spring) HRE 547 reps 18x9.5 all around (winters)//Euro plate//35% tint//and low []

Buy my dpe's wheels for cheap $1700 with FREE shipping
        http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/...-wheels&cat=48

-Admir

Comment

Many of you have probably not heard of these. In fact I just heard of them for the first time about a month ago. Immediately I was interested after hearing they were made my KW and were about $450 cheaper than KW Variant 1's. Basically they are KW street line and have all the same valving as KW Variant 1 Coilovers but are made from galvanized steel rather than 100% stainless. This didn't bother me thought because I planned to take good care of them.

After I saved up and got the money I ordered my set of ST coilovers from Modbargains.com. Within 3 days they arrived from california, just as Eddie had promised. Btw, the customer service at ModBargains is outstanding. Call them or shoot them an email and im can garauntee they will give you a great price. Once they arrived I cancelled all plans, (my girlfriend is still mad at me) and got to work!

Here are some packaging photos just for fun...

Once I got everything unwrapped and set it all out and observed... These suckers are high quality. Definately shows that these are made by KW. The packing slip showed they were delivered from the KW warehouse and listed them as "ST Variant 1 Coilovers".

Everything about these was bigger, better, thicker than OEM. Also I'd like to mention EVERYTHING needed for installation is included. When installing the front I reused a washer that was originally on the top part of the OEM shock piston. This made tightening the front coilover to the upper strut mounting plate easy since finding a tool to grab the nut while you hold the piston in a joke. By adding the washer it made it so I had to tighen the nut that much less and thus finding a tool to grab the nut was much easier. Front installation went very smooth.

The back was pretty simple aswell, besides the fact that I messed up a subframe bolt and its stuck poking out about and inch allowing the washer to spin freely. I can hear the subframe moving as I drive, which is not good at all haha. I'm going to have to take my car in and have them get the bolt out, rethread and put a new bolt in its place. That was my fault 100% though and in no way a defect of these coilovers. I failed to get pictures of the rear install since it was night, I was tired, and in all honesty, I just forgot. I initally installed the rear with the adjustable spring perch on all the way down. Then put everything back together, put the wheels back on, dropped the car and it still wasn't low enough for me. So then I took off the wheels, removed camber bolt, drop subframe, etc. I removed the green adjustable spring perch so the spring was just sitting on the threaded perch portion, allowing for a little more drop. Here are some after pictures. In the pictures the back is as low as it will go and the front is about 6 threads higher that this...

Now for ride quality. Well since I have the front coils virtually all the way down, and the rear as low as it can go, I wouldnt expect it to be race-stiff. However, it is comparable to stock sport suspension in the ride quality yet it can hold turns much stronger and feels much more tight. KW did a really good job with these coils. I would give this setup a 9/10 for ride quality, for my preference atleast. I dont track my car, and I dont drive too crazy. Low and slow baby! I'll be sure to post up in a few months and let you guys know how the ride quality holds up. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Comment

Now I Need spacers haha.

Comment

your everywhere lol
              when it comes to wheels money should never be an issue, fitment should -me

04 Audi 1.8T USP //HRE's 546(summer)DPE WHEELS R06S R SERIES(spring) HRE 547 reps 18x9.5 all around (winters)//Euro plate//35% tint//and low []

Buy my dpe's wheels for cheap $1700 with FREE shipping
              http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/...-wheels&cat=48

-Admir

Comment

Originally posted by CleanA4 View Post
                your everywhere lol
                Audizine, VWvortex, NWQuattro, and Stanceworks. Haha

Comment

I bought a set of STs through a GB set up on passatworld and I have no complaints..the ride is good and I still have plenty of room to go loar front and rear. My passat is has 4motion and I do have some slight rubbing on the rear axle, a problem another passat 4motion owner mentioned about his KWs. He ended up having a dead coil removed to solve the problem. I dont think the rubbing is bad enough for me to consider that...yet.
                  Bad cell pic from a couple days after install..I think theyve settled a little lower since then.

Comment

very nice. I like em aswell. Got them for cheap by going back and forth between people seeing who would beat who in a price battle.

Comment

Just got these coils for my b6 a4. Im wondering if I do as low as they go if ill still beadle to turn? Also do I need spacers I ha e stock 235 45 17s

Comment

It depends on the offset and wheel width...

I'm on 18x8 et45 with 215/40/18 and have no problems turning maxed out to the bottom of the threads. Rubs a little on the inside front but it's nothing to cry over.

Comment

Working...
                        X