No announcement yet.

sound system help (amp not powering up)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound system help (amp not powering up)

so i was trying to hook up my sub and amp. i got the wiring and everything hooked up correctly with some help. the amp was given to me by my friend and told me it works. but when i hooked it up it didnt work. i was thinking it could be just something wired up wrong. but when my friend switched my amp with the one in his car my amp didnt power up but his amp still works. so that determined i had a bad amp. so my other gave me another amp and she told me it works. and when i hooked it up to my car, same thing happened. fuses dont look blown. what could it be? it's like something in my car is making these amps go bad. wtfffbbq! but my friends told me everything is hooked up right

questions:
    did it have to do with not disconnecting one of the battery terminals when installing the amp? because i know a few ppl that didn't do that and their amp works fine.

is there a way to tell if the fuse is bad, even if it doesnt look blown at all?

thanks sw!

Don't mean to thread jack or anything. But I'm in the same situation so I kind of need an answer too . Plugged it it. But i did disconnect the battery terminal. I've had my wiring checked by several people, everyone says it was done right. My amp isn't powering up either. Fuse has been checked and it is fine also.
    If it makes any difference its an tubed 8 inch sub with a built in amp.

Comment

There are a couple of factors to consider. The fuse could have gone bad but not look blown. Have you checked the remote wire and its connection? I've seen so many people connect it to a negative
      Never take advice from somone in a position you dont want to be in.

Comment

Originally posted by Esoteric View Post
        There are a couple of factors to consider. The fuse could have gone bad but not look blown. Have you checked the remote wire and its connection? I've seen so many people connect it to a negative
        yeah the remote wire on the back of my double din even has a tag that says "remote conn" a blue wire. and i was thinking the same thing about my fuse. it doesnt look blown at all. so that could be possible?

Comment

Yeppers LOL
          Never take advice from somone in a position you dont want to be in.

Comment

get a test light, put it on both ends of the fuse, if it only lights up one end the fuse is bad. also get a multimeter and see how many volts your amp is getting from the power wire. make sure your getting signal from the remote wire. make sure the ground is good. all of this will take about 5 minutes and if all of that checks out i would say you had bad luck and just got 2 bad amps in a row.

Comment

how many amps are you running? if you are splitting the remote turn on wire from the headunit to both amps, that may be your issue to why the amps wont turn on. the current supplied by this wire is very small. you are trying to pull more current than is suppled. this issue can be fixed using a relay.
              Originally posted by Kielan
              I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by slwrthnu View Post
                get a test light, put it on both ends of the fuse, if it only lights up one end the fuse is bad. also get a multimeter and see how many volts your amp is getting from the power wire. make sure your getting signal from the remote wire. make sure the ground is good. all of this will take about 5 minutes and if all of that checks out i would say you had bad luck and just got 2 bad amps in a row.
                alright man. thanks. ill ask someone to help me with this. haha.

Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
                how many amps are you running? if you are splitting the remote turn on wire from the headunit to both amps, that may be your issue to why the amps wont turn on. the current supplied by this wire is very small. you are trying to pull more current than is suppled. this issue can be fixed using a relay.
                nahh i'm only trying to one one amp.

Comment

Again don't mean to thread jack. But I did check test my fuse, its not blown, and I did test it with a multimeter its getting the correct amount of voltage but I hear nothing from my speaker. What could it be?

Comment

check the grounding cable?one of my friends had the same problem.did that and it was fine

“ Driving down the road becomes a masterfully balanced ballet of dodging, looking ahead, and saying “oh shit.” "

- Mike Burroughs, Stanceworks

Comment

I drive a BMW so my battery is in the trunk right where the speaker is. I grounded it directly to the battery since its right there. I also tried grounding it next to the spare tire under the carpet. Nothing is working.

Comment

Working...
                      X