Help me decide on this...v8 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide on this...v8 conversion

An LT1 to be exact, out of a 96 camaro. Ive been trying to sell it for some time now and no one seems to want it. It needs a hone because the previous owner let it sit out and two cylinder walls have rust but everything else looks good no cracks heads are good. also have the high clearance oil pan ready for a retro fit and the full engine wiring harness, plus pulleys and brackets for ac and other stuff.

So I was at this euro meet tonight talking about making power and everyone is talking about turbos and superchargers (way out of my money league) and somehow it got mentioned that I had this engine laying around. I then got hounded all night about putting this motor in the six, I mean stock it puts out almost 60% more power than I have right now.

Im just not sure if its worth thinking about, you know sacralige and all, but I mean the way I look at it this cars gunna be pretty different as far as styling when Im done so why not performance wise too? I dunno thoughts? To swap or not to swap?

Pics of said 6?

I say if you already have the motor, why not?

Comment

The car will eventually get more low, and euro bumpers and perhaps a custom color alpina stripe kit.

also every surface of this motor, once swapped, would be painted black to keep it from sticking out too bad.

One thing a little unnerving that I found out though, the m30 weighs 300 somthing lbs and the lt1 weighs 700 somthing lbs.

Comment

Would you plan on autox'ing it or taking it to the strip after the swap?

Comment

Do it. I'm LS1 swapping my e30, why not LT1 swap the 6? I would check on that weight btw, it seems pretty far off.

Comment

^^ I know it seems high however the lt1 is a cast iron block, I dont know about the ls.

And I would be more into the overall driveing experience after the swap not necesarily motorsport. However I live in a small quiet town with nice empty curvy roads so handling means alot to me.

Comment

Ugh... don't do it. LT1's have notorious ignition problems (read: opti-spark).

An LSx swap would be badass, but although the LT served GM for years, it's still just bland engine. I'd take any other SBC over the LT1 any day.

Plus, honestly I think the 6er is too classy for a V8 swap. I knew a guy with an LS swapped e30, and it was a badass car, but e30's are way more common and it makes sense because they are total swap whores anyhow.

Comment

Webb-- I'm down with a swap, but the cast iron block would concern me as well. More then doubling the weight up front will change the overall driving dynamics of the car.

With that said, drop some muscle in there. We're in the new "hot rod" era, remember?

Comment

Agreed with above. LT1s are too heavy and in just about every way, inferior to an LSX motor.

Comment

Originally posted by 6erWebb View Post
                    ^^ I know it seems high however the lt1 is a cast iron block, I dont know about the ls.
                    The ls engines are all aluminum. Adding that much weight to the front would make it plow like a mutherfucker. I say larger tires all around and an lt1 with a t56 would be excellent. Get the block honed while you source motor mounts.

Comment

^^^ this is an opti-spark guide but I prefer a good old fashioned distributor,
                      C4 Tech/Performance - LT1 Distributor Conversion (Accell Dual Sync) - I thought I would post some photos of my LT1 to distributor conversion in case someone in the future decides to do something similar and would like to see what they are getting themselves into. You need a TPI intake so you can make a template before...

^^^so did this guy, heres a guide for switching the opti-spark to a dizzy

Comment

I say do it. Then youll be the only 6 with this swap(atleast that i know of).
                        3000GT-Clean daily project.

Comment

personally i dont like the lt1 at all.
                          Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

No.

Comment

as a former lt1 owner ls1>>>>>>>>lt1 one of the many problems on the lt1 is that it has distributor ignition and said distributor costs ~800 bucks to replace as are some of the other parts because its an older motor.
                              sigpic
                              No Air, Like Jordin Sparks

Comment

Working...
                              X