Seized Locking Collar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seized Locking Collar

I'm trying to go lower on my coilovers but the damn locking collar on one side is seized up on me. The lower collar moves fine, but the upper one that the spring actually sits on wont move for shit. I've sprayed PB Blaster, and Seafoam Deep Creep on it. Have tried hitting threads with a wire brush to clean them up. And have tried to force it to move by using a hammer on the spanner wrench and also a big fucking pipe. Collar just refuses to move but I wanna go lower! Any ideas?

Hit harder.

Comment

i had the same problem yesterday, i used a torch and got it moving. i know it was a bad idea but it worked just be realy carefull. my problem now is all the stuff i tried before the torch prety much ruined the collar

Comment

Yea, using a hammer caused teeth to start chipping off of the locking collar, if I keep it up it'll end up with none. I'm considering heat but kinda scared to do that.

Comment

at this point heat might be your old friend...
          "This community is made up of people who strive to push the boundaries of the conceivable"

Comment

Keep hitting it with PB blaster and let it sit over night.

Comment

Soak it in a bucket of Diesel

Comment

we had this problem last night on mine. get a big flat head screw driver and a big hammer. and hit it until it starts to turn

Comment

Originally posted by tonyesc76 View Post
                  we had this problem last night on mine. get a big flat head screw driver and a big hammer. and hit it until it starts to turn
                  v
                  Originally posted by lscfn10 View Post
                  Yea, using a hammer caused teeth to start chipping off of the locking collar, if I keep it up it'll end up with none.
                  Gonna be pulling the wheels off to roll fenders on the new car that coils have been transferred too. I'm gonna try hitting the collar vertically to see if ill jar it loose

Comment

Originally posted by LewyS14a View Post
                    Soak it in a bucket of Diesel
                    as he said!! it worked for me on my 200's coilovers....Tried EVERYTHING!!! Had a 1.5meter lever bar with me and a friend hanging off it and it wouldnt break loose!
                    Used WD40...Plus gas.....Nothing would release it.

Left it in a bucket of diesel for about 30hours and it came straight off

Comment

ive heated a few coils up before and they were fine

another thing would be to take the coil off the car and work on it with a bench vise, not sure after that as my friend had a neighbor loosten a set up before by slowly working the collar back and forth slowly
                      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                      X