Toyota keeps Dying??? Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota keeps Dying??? Help

Ok so I own a 1972 Toyota Carina. It has the same 4 cyclinder 1.6 as the Corolla from that year.

Anyways onto the issue. The car starts fine and idles well for about 10 sec. until itll go to die so i tap the gas and it wakes back up. So I just put it in gear and get going as it doesnt die when on the gas. and then...when it comes time to stopping, if I were to just put the car in any gear including nuetral and slow down it'll just die. But starts right back up after??? And this happens all the time. It used to be like once or three times a day but now its all the time. I drive the car maybe 30 miles a month or so but if it didnt have this problem id drive it a lot more.

I've tried adressing the issue and have so far

-cleaned the carbuerator
    -replaced the spark plugs
    -new fuel filter

and still nothing helps. My friend thinks it's the altrenator and im thinking that or the carb...idk

if you have any ideas or experience. PLease HELP

Thanks

you have what would be a vac leak for me. if your not on the gas, it dies righyt? does it sound bad or idle rough?

Comment

Have you checked the idle cable and made sure it was tight?

This happened on my uncles 1974 BMW 2002, and that was our fix.

Comment

interesting, ive posted this on 2 forums...both saying it may be a vacum leak and i never thought of that haha

Originally posted by bataangpinoy View Post
        you have what would be a vac leak for me. if your not on the gas, it dies righyt? does it sound bad or idle rough?
        Yes, it dies when im not on the gas and idles bad most of the time but sometimes itll be fine but ill still die when slowing down.

Thansk

Comment

does it happen when cold or hot? or both? if i remember correctly, it can be the vacuum line for the choke. or trying adjusting the idle screw.

Originally posted by Moose
          And roof racks with random shit on it, stop that.

Comment

it happens mostly when cold. but sometimes less when hot

Comment

whats the best way to checck for a vacuum leak?

Comment

start the engine and listen for a leak. Look for broken vacuum lines.

Comment

an old school trick, although not as reliable is to lightly spray or mist brake cleaner around where the vacuum lines are to temporarily "seal" them and listen to the engine carefully for differences. usually if theres vacuum leaks and the brake cleaner seals them you'll notice a difference with the motor's sound.

its been awhile since i worked on one of those motors, 2tc right? fuck if you were closer i would help, but its hard explaining things on the internet.

Originally posted by Moose
                  And roof racks with random shit on it, stop that.

Comment

Originally posted by too.coolX7 View Post
                    an old school trick, although not as reliable is to lightly spray or mist brake cleaner around where the vacuum lines are to temporarily "seal" them and listen to the engine carefully for differences. usually if theres vacuum leaks and the brake cleaner seals them you'll notice a difference with the motor's sound.

its been awhile since i worked on one of those motors, 2tc right? fuck if you were closer i would help, but its hard explaining things on the internet.
                    thanks for the advice. and if your ever in the area hit me up and you can take a look haha. i might be driving the car down to san diego soon actually as i'll be going to school down there and maybe driving down 2nd semester...idk haha

Comment

your problem is when you got a toyota... jk man

Comment

Working...
                      X