Cutting Dinan springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Dinan springs

Oooook, am i dumb for thinking about doing this? im hella down with the ride Dinan springs give you, but they dont sit you very low.......so im thinkin i should cut them, and hooooooopefully get the ride / hight i want.

if this shits a bad idea, does anyone have experience with spings for E28s?

Bro they're dinans. That would be like slapping God in the face.

Comment

Thats what im thinkin, but idk....im thinkin it maay be worth it. plus i can probably get one of the techs to do it rite for me.

Comment

uhhh you spent all the money for dinan and you want to ruin the springs.....

Comment

Are you after low or comfort? My vote goes for cut em'.

Comment

just cut them you only live once. seriously dont do it. just wait and get some coilovers

Comment

Originally posted by patrick_irwin View Post
              just cut them you only live once. Seriously dont do it. Just wait and get some coilovers

wat

Comment

It's a piece of metal. If you paid more than 20 bucks you got ripped off anyway. I would definitely cut them if your shocks are stiff enough to handle the increased spring rate. I cut three coils off my friend's stock Supra springs and ran them on a $200 set of Tokico blues and they ride & handle BETTER than a $1100 set of Tien super streets. Coilovers are a waste of money if you don't need the adjustability. If you do a little bit of research and use some quality shocks you can get away with quite a bit.

The only reason I have coils on the E38 is because you can't cut the springs (variable diameter) and the Bilstein sports aren't stiff enough to be as low as I want.
                Dylan Leff - www.originalplate.com

Comment

Originally posted by patrick_irwin View Post
                  just cut them you only live once. seriously dont do it. just wait and get some coilovers
                  ....or sell your god's given gift dinans (not knockng dinan - love how a properly tunned m car sounds/feels) to someone who isn't concerned with getting low and go low. I think that's what you're after anyways bro...your concious should be your guide buddy...fyi everyone around me told me not to cut my coils and get some drop springs...i did. pfft two finger wheel gap and reverse rake. yanked them out and sold them. we cut my oem coils. so I live with people's smugg looks and side comments - but no wheel gap
                  EDiT: if you're ever in the OC area I'd be more than happy to give you a ride in my ghtto bastard hooptified hip so you can see for yourself if you wanna roll on cut springs. I'm on cut oem coils - can't imagine cut dinans being any worse...
                  Last edited by NELSON09; 06-13-2010, 01:57 AM. Reason: EDiT seeing is believing

Comment

Im trying to find the middle ground between low and comfort.

The only reason im even considering cutting them is because i can get a killer deal on them. If worse comes to worse i can cop another set too.

Im also debating not cutting them and finding another way to get lower, just so i can maintain the legit Dinan badge...Damn i cant wait to finish this car. I havent seen an official Dinan E28 on here yet.

Lets talk shocks. Im running Bilstein Sports rite now....I have no clew what to look for in my next set / upgrade.

And in regards to lowering, should i wait till i get my final wheel set to do everything? or will that not make hella difference.

Sorry for all the questions, im just glad i found this site. I was stuck on a site with only old ass dudes who flamed anyone with outside the box style.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizzoo View Post
                      Oooook, am i dumb for thinking about doing this?
                      Yes.

Comment

Thats what im thinkin, but idk....im thinkin it maay be worth it. plus i can probably get one of the techs to do it rite for me.
                        No such thing as cutting springs the "right" way

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
                        Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

Im trying to find the middle ground between low and comfort.
                          There isn't one. Don't cut the lowering springs if you aren't looking for a firm ride.

Im also debating not cutting them and finding another way to get lower, just so i can maintain the legit Dinan badge...Damn i cant wait to finish this car. I havent seen an official Dinan E28 on here yet.
                          Dinan is a joke. Unless you're 50 years old, then it triples the car's value.

Lets talk shocks. Im running Bilstein Sports rite now....I have no clew what to look for in my next set / upgrade.
                          You'll be fine cutting 2 coils off with those shocks.
                          Dylan Leff - www.originalplate.com

Comment

Ive done many BMW spring cuts and i would say keep the dinans buy some stock springs for 50 bucks take 3 coils off and see how u like the ride hight if u still want too cut the dinans go for it . the only thing is ,is that cutting the rear springs ina e28 the springs diameter goes very small too big in the center too small again . so if u cut off some coils the spring is going to want too move around alot so make sure u leave one side bottom perferibly small and cut the coils just off the top so that the spring doesnt want to move just my 2 cents .

Comment

Originally posted by Mateen9 View Post
                              Bro they're dinans. That would be like slapping God in the face.
                              i fucking **** that mentality about dinan.

Originally posted by mojocoggo View Post

Dinan is a joke. Unless you're 50 years old, then it triples the car's value.
                              This.

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Working...
                              X