This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relay Question

I have an audi a4 on bags that recently shot one of the relays. Both compressors have a relay but you must go through this one to get power to the other. Its a Vi-Air 4 prong relay. I picked up a no name relay without even realizing it had 5 prongs until i was home. Can I still use this relay without having anything going to the 5th prong? It has the 4 on the sides just like the Vi-Air, just has one in the middle. Not too knowledgeable on relays so I thought i'd try here before i hook anything up, thanks.

Depends on the relay, some relays have 2 prongs that are part of the circuit that is switched, some only one. If you're lucky the relays have a circuit diagram on the top or the side

Comment

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
      Depends on the relay, some relays have 2 prongs that are part of the circuit that is switched, some only one. If you're lucky the relays have a circuit diagram on the top or the side
      yeah the relay that's shot has a diagram on top, not the one i'm trying to replace it with. probably just going to order a new one. However if i tried the 5 prong relay could it potentially cause harm to my system?

Comment

it will only cause harm if it gets wired in improperly. if you posted a picture we could help.

1996 Cadillac Deville Build Thread

Lancer Build Thread

Elantra Build Thread [car is no more ]

Comment

Currently on a break at work but I will try to get a a picture or two soon. Thank you to those who have replied.

Comment

It sounds like that is probably a standard 5-pin relay, though pictures will confirm. On these relays, the fifth pin (marked 87A) is the inverse of the output on pin 87. If that's the case, connect everything as normal and leave the fifth pin disconnected.

You should also rewire those relays so they are turned on independently of one another. Having one relay be able to take out the other is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
              It sounds like that is probably a standard 5-pin relay, though pictures will confirm. On these relays, the fifth pin (marked 87A) is the inverse of the output on pin 87. If that's the case, connect everything as normal and leave the fifth pin disconnected.

You should also rewire those relays so they are turned on independently of one another. Having one relay be able to take out the other is ridiculous.
              I concur, i will cross the bridge of re-wiring after i get this sorted out. I attached a photo of the diagram on the ViAir relay. I was told by the guy that sold me the 5 pin relay that it was a standard relay, however there is no diagram on the 5 pin.

Thanks for the replies thus far.
              Attached Files

Comment

update: decided i would drop by the autoparts store on my way to work today and what do you know: I ask for a 4 prong and they actually gave me a 4 prong instead of looking at me funny and giving me a 5 prong got it all going again though, Thanks for the comments!

Comment

Originally posted by jaylay View Post
                  update: decided i would drop by the autoparts store on my way to work today and what do you know: I ask for a 4 prong and they actually gave me a 4 prong instead of looking at me funny and giving me a 5 prong got it all going again though, Thanks for the comments!
                  Glad you got this sorted out! Don't hesitate to shoot me a PM ever if you have any tech questions in the future

Comment

Working...
                  X