This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fittings questions

Hey everyone, I'll start off by stating the obvious, I'm a newb. I drive an E90 and just ordered this setup from bag riders. http://bagriders.com/modlab/products...ANAGEMENT.html

I've got a few questions about the install.

1. I've added a water trap to the kit and was curious about the install. I've read everything I could on them and the man topic seems to be about where to mount it, I think it seems the best place is between the compressor and the tank. Now my question is will I need any seperate fittings to install the water trap. I guess I'm a little confused on if it will come with the fittings or not. I have a Parker store near by so I'm sure anything additional they would have. I'm just trying to have everything ready by the time the air ride arrives.

2. I've read that the check valve on the Viair compressor isn't the greatest, so I plan on purchasing better one. From what I've read it's a good thing to have a check valve between the tank and the valves, is that correct? I was also wondering if that's something that I can get at Parker as well, and if so, what exactly would I need as far as the specific check valve/any additional fittings.

3. I've read it's a good think to have a safety valve on the bottom of the tank. I've seen the style with the ring that you can pull off to double as a tank drain. What size would I need for that tank?

4. I would like to include a schrader valve on the tank for emergency fillup. Is that ok to leave on the tank at all times? I ordered 1/4" lines with the kit so my thinking is that the 3/8" port would be available. Is this correct? And if so would I just be looking for a schrader valve with a 3/8" NPT male fitting on the end?

I really appreciate anyones input on this! I'm so stoked to finally be on air!

1. Are you planning on threading the compressor's leader hose directly into the trap, and the trap directly into the tank? If so, so long as the trap you've chosen is 1/4" NPT, you'll be good. You'll just need a 1/4" NPT nipple to thread into the trap, and if the port on your tank is larger than 1/4", a bushing of appropriate size. For a 3/8" port, that would be a 1/4" FNPT x 3/8" MNPT bushing. There are also step-up NPT nipples that will solve the size difference problem as well.

2. A check valve between the tank and valves is nice, but not required, especially if you don't have a quick connect for air tools or any other accessories running off the tank. It is nice to have, however. I would recommend the SMC one that Bag Riders sells. If you're putting the check valve in place of the Viair one and using the rest of the Viair leader hose, you'll just need a 1/4" NPT nipple to thread into the check valve, and then if you're using a port that's larger than 1/4", a bushing of appropriate size to adapt, or use a step-up nipple. If you're putting it inline on an air line, you'll need two 1/4" MNPT to whatever size air line PTC fittings.

3. A safety valve is fine anywhere in high-pressure section of the system (and required for safe operation), but you ought to have a tank drain as well, even on an aluminum tank. Your link does not include the tank selection you made, but if it's an Air Lift one, the bottom port is 1/4" NPT. You should spec your safety valve according to the pressure you're going to run in your system. Generic safety valves are fine, and are typically 1/4".

4. Yes, perfectly safe. However, line size does not equate directly to port size, as the lines require PTC connections (or possibly compression, for hard lines), and the tank's ports are NPT. This means you'll need fittings to connect one to the other, which Bag Riders sells. Typical inflation valves are 1/4" NPT, so you'll either need to use a 1/4" port, or use a bushing to adapt 1/4" NPT to the size of your port.
    Last edited by Oh Damn, it's Sam; 02-02-2015, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X