Vw mk4 2.0t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vw mk4 2.0t

I have an mk4 2.0 VW. I just found this turbo kit, and I don't know much about it at all. anyways, my goal is to give the car a little extra kick, so that its not just bags and wheels. No big HP numbers here.

Any info or advice will highly be appreciated.

The 2.slow is exactly what the names implies. But its a solid engine and can be good if boosted properly.

Be careful with that kit though if you want to run anything over 5psi of boost. Even though those kits do work technically. Summer days come along and your engine is going to be hot. And the heat soak of the turbo can increase temp of intake air and the speed of the spooling of the compressor wheels thanks to faster moving hotter exhaust (because the hotter the exhaust the more room it takes up). normally we would like quick spool but when a it is intercooler-less everything going to and coming from the engine is hotter and less dense and we don't want that. Boost efficiency goes out the window and power is down. Heat is the enemy in the forced induction world. If you drive your car hard your setup can/will run into Knock at high rpm's without an intercooler. Knock is not easy going on turbo setups (most notably Journal bearing since they need more to cool them) and can cause serious engine issues.

Since high boost is a no no with out an intercooler. you don't have to worry about fuel management and intake/exhaust balance. You also don't need to get stronger rocker springs you will not have any valve float issue either.

The kit works and you will be running boosted, but be careful. Be safe don't push it too hard (especially on hot summer days). You car will be more powerful and more fun with this kit. If it was me doing the setup I would save my money do the research and learn more about boosting an NA engine. Then when you are comfortable with the tech and the concepts of boosting you will have enough money to buy a full turbo kit and really have a fun car that can run all the boost you want.

P.S. Running a turbo with an internal waste gate is the way to go for low boost set ups. The engine does not produce enough on any of the piston's exhaust stoke to cause major back flow issues.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to stay away from intercoolers because I wasn't planning on going any higher than like 8psi, but looks like I'm going to need one anyways. I'll keep researching and see what I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by mk4_Arthur View Post
        Thanks for the info. I've been trying to stay away from intercoolers because I wasn't planning on going any higher than like 8psi, but looks like I'm going to need one anyways. I'll keep researching and see what I can do.
        Intercoolers are not too bad (and are everywhere) on VW's since many jettas already came with what is called a side setup. the 1.8L turbo's had a inter cooler tucked in the passenger front side and are very good at handling/producing (because the intercooler is responsible for cooling and slowdown the flow of air by increasing the density of the air) anything from 7-8psi stock depending on where you lived; all the way up to 14psi on the coolest of mornings with various ecu mods. A mod that I have seen (and did myself on my 1.8T) often is the implementation of one or two of these on the passenger side and driver side respectively daisy chained together. Two of them daisy chained would handle 8 without flinching. I was running 2 being fed by a K04 running around 16 psi and they worked perfect in the very hot Arizona summers. It would be a custom fitment though I don't think anyone builds a kit with daisy chaining in mind.

I know that mk4 jetta intercooler can be picked up for pretty cheap you probably looking a around 400 for a Quality not a cheap POS side mount intercooler. Don't think about OEM ($$$ = Genuine VW parts) unless you grab one from a VW salvage yard. A VW side mount intercooler would allow you to run the amount of boost you are looking for without much more work and best news is that you still don't have to run custom intake around what would be a much larger front mount intercooler.

If you have any more questions about boosting or the engine in general feel free to ask. Just cause this is a stance forum does not mean we don't like that contraption the makes our cars roll in order to show it off.

Comment

You could always run the neuspeed supercharger with a 276 wide lobe cam. That would be safe reliable power! You would have to find the supercharger used since neuspeed stopped making them.

Comment

Working...
          X