How to prevent sparks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prevent sparks.

So i got pulled over last night because my exhaust scrapes on anything and everything, it sits so low that even the motion of my rear preloading from letting off the clutch from even the gentlest take offs it scrapes on the ground. And in my area, the roads are horrible. potholes cheaply filled in, and dips like a mofo. Is there anything i can do to stop it from sparking? I know idealy it would be best to have my exhaust retucked, at the moment i don't have that cash on hand. Is there anything i can do to my exhaust, like spray it with truck bed liner or something to eliminate the metal to pavement contact. Something DIY that will get me by temporarily. Any input will help greatly, thanks!

Cop was reasonably chill though.

"The reason i pulled you over is because after following you a couple streets, you're car is constantly shooting out sparks from underneath. Something is definately coming in contact with the pavement"

"I'm not going to give you a ticket, because you'll probably just lower it again"

I told him i must've broke an exhaust hanger and he bought it

"Pavement Eater"
    WFC #1913
    sigpic
    Stanceworks Feature
    http://www.stanceworks.com/?p=8665

Exhaust heat wrap?
    Originally posted by Jesus Christ
    if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
    Originally posted by Jedidiah
    he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by ILLES13 View Post
      Cop was reasonably chill though.

"I'm not going to give you a ticket, because you'll probably just lower it again"
      Awesome, sounds like he's been down that road with people before

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
      Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

the wrap might work, anything that wont melt and doesnt spark... or catch fire

i wonder if you rubbed some oil on it if it would stop the sparking....

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck&Poke View Post
          the wrap might work, anything that wont melt and doesnt spark... or catch fire

i wonder if you rubbed some oil on it if it would stop the sparking....
          Then catch fire?
          if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.

Comment

Aluminum skid plate? But a piece of aluminum thick enough to not wear through after a few yards would reduce your clearance even more, and will still eventually wear out.

I suggest either dealing with it, raising the car, or fixing your exhaust properly.

Comment

Raise the exhaust, and get higher rate springs. I typically use the old school VW chain hangers b/c they don't stretch and droop over time like the pure rubber ones do.

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by firelizard View Post
                Aluminum skid plate? But a piece of aluminum thick enough to not wear through after a few yards would reduce your clearance even more, and will still eventually wear out.

I suggest either dealing with it, raising the car, or fixing your exhaust properly.
                Aluminum sparks. Ask me how I know.

PS: Talking about aluminum grinding and scraping on concrete in sudden impact, so don't get all chem on me about the properties of Aluminum in contact with other metals and whatnot. :P
                Last edited by Han; 05-19-2010, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by extol1337 View Post
                  Then catch fire?
                  yea im not entirely sure about that, but im pretty sure the exhaust wont get hot enough to ignite the oil. Motor oil has a pretty high flash point or your car wouldn't last very long

Comment

Everything I can think of would definitely be a temporary fix aside from tucking the exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by firelizard View Post
                      raising the car
                      lolwut
                      Dubkorps

Comment

man if u cant afford to fix the exhaust ur not going to be able to fix it when it really breaks or gets scraped through.

so u need to raise ur car.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

So i jacked up my car today to try and heat wrap it, to find that one of the bolts on the mid section flange was gone. So from the cat back the whole exhaust was just sagging. I had thought it started sparking after my suspension settling. I went to my local hardware store and got some new hardware for a few bucks, no more drooping exhaust. Still kinda low, but doesnt scrape as much which is good. i was able to put a package of heat wrap on it too. lastly i called the shop who did my exhaust and they said refitting it won't cost more than $30, as they will just be cutting excess and rewelding/bending the system. I'll be getting that done tomorrowww

Here's what it looked like <3

And here's my car, i know, it's ugly.

"Pavement Eater"
                          WFC #1913
                          sigpic
                          Stanceworks Feature
                          http://www.stanceworks.com/?p=8665

Comment

dude I never your car sat that ridiculously low haha.

just go and get a full straight pipe with no flanges made, thats what I did

Comment

holy shit thats dumped

Comment

Working...
                              X