Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin Weber 40's Cleaning

I've some Twin Webers on my Mk2 Jetta.

They are over-fuelling and super dirty so I'm wanting to get them stripped, cleaned / correctly working / set up and Timed.

I'm not willing to do the Timing and Set up as I'm not that clever, This is my first proper car build and I'm wanting to do as much myself. So Cleaning isn't going to bother me at all.

Help would be very useful or a guide if anyone has one!
    sigpic
    Bagged Mk2 Jetta.
    Build Thread

If you're cleaning them inside and out you're pretty much rebuilding them. Id buy the rebuild kits ckean, reassemble them, run the mixture screws out 2.5 turns from closed ( to get running) and then take the car to get them synchronized.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
      If you're cleaning them inside and out you're pretty much rebuilding them. Id buy the rebuild kits ckean, reassemble them, run the mixture screws out 2.5 turns from closed ( to get running) and then take the car to get them synchronized.

Cheers buddy. Going to look into this. Get them off and start cleaning them
      sigpic
      Bagged Mk2 Jetta.
      Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
        I agree with all of the above. If they're that gross, just rebuild them. You don't want to have to get back in there a second time to replace a failed o-ring just because you skimped on the rebuild kit.

Comment

As others said, just get the full rebuild kit. Also get a Weber manual off eBay or Amazon. Carbs, while simple in theory, are actually quite complicated and it's easy to lose track of how something came apart.

And setting the timing is extremely simple, if you're confident in starting a carb rebuild then you should have no issues setting timing correctly.

Comment

RIght. Can i just take the webers off the engine if i disconnect the battery?

Never taken carbs off in my life so I wouldn't mind knowing that if i take them off tomorrow my engine isn't going to die.
            sigpic
            Bagged Mk2 Jetta.
            Build Thread

Comment

Bring the car to someone that knows what they're doing.

Comment

Working...
              X