Jaguar S Type Transmission FAIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaguar S Type Transmission FAIL

As it goes, my car now does not want to go into drive. The transmission will run through all the gears but stays in 3rd and wont shift into drive( its automatic). I priced out the transmission at several local shops and I am getting back quotes from 1300 to 2500. I am in socal (IE, work in DTLA) and am looking for a reliable transmission shop/guy. I have a full working body shop with a lift so if there are any transmission know how guys that want to do some work on the side, that will also do. With the price quotes all over the place and little know how about transmissions, I just want someone reliable. Thanks

Time for a manual swap?

Originally posted by checkmate2006
    SPOCK your so young errr are you Sulu

Comment

That really has not crossed my mind but could be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheaper View Post
        That really has not crossed my mind but could be an option.
        Im doing a auto-manual swap now on my e36. I had similar problems that you have. Replaced it with another auto the first time in July and a month ago it went out so I just did the swap. For me, the price for a manual swap compared to a new auto trans is basically the same. About 2k. Im doing all the work on my garage floor on jack stands. Its not that difficult, just make sure you have time, patience, and all the parts BEFORE you start into it. I didn't do that and it was put on hold for a good 2 weeks.

Now, that being said, your problem may not be the transmission. Its probably either the shifter itself thats not letting it shift into drive or the control module. Auto trannys work by using check balls to tell the car when to shift. In your case, I take it that it shifts when you put it into 3 (allows you to use all 3 gears, just not 4th? right?). So the trans should be working right, the computer/shifter wont allow it to go into drive. Let me know what is is exactly doing, it could be a lot less then 2k to fix.

-Dan

Comment

That could be the problem also. When I ran the code the first time at my buddy's shop (specializes in air cooled vws) it came back with p107something. He checked this diagnostic website forum he uses which said it was an ecu failure bc of low resistance. He said it might be a pinched wire? He told me i need to replace the harness ($1800 just for the harness) but he said he really did not know. The first trans shop didnt even run the codes and just told me i need a new trans. That's what gets me, some shops were just like, yeah you need a new trans right off the bat. I need to do some more research or get in touch with some one that knows about transmissions to run the error code again and see whats up. Its just frustrating bc I feel like I can't get an honest assessment.

Comment

If you give the the make year model and the exact code, I can find out what it is. As far as I know, the ecu doesn't control anything with the transmission. The transmission uses a transmission control module. Check some jaguar forums and ask around there.

-Dan

Comment

The 5r55 is prone to silly problems, to many to name. If you can get a clean one just install it.

I have the 5R55N in my 2000 Lincoln LS. You have to be pretty careful with it.

I would on the safe side check all the wiring first. If all the harnesses and connectors are ok just swap it out. It will reduce the headache these things cause.

I heard of lots of LS owners having it opened up and it getting screwed even more cause its sealed and does not require maintenance other than a flush and fill.

Comment

So I ran the codes and googled them. This is what I found:
                If you are experiencing missing 4th and 5th gear and after reading the computer 734 (P0734) and/or 735 (P0735), and solenoid C codes – the problem is due 4-3 pre-stroke valve spring on 5R55N transmission.
                This spring can be replaced without fully removing the transmission, however you will need to replace AT oil pan gasket, AT oil filter and of course the oil. Please don’t forget to use the correct Mercon V recommended AT oil, you can find more details on Mercon V oil here.
                Please contact us for more details and how to order.

So, I am going to attempt this myself and see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice guys I hope this works out I miss driving this car.

Comment

get the transmission used, and get a good shop to do the swap.

Comment

Working...
                  X