E36 wheel/tire fitment : 16"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 wheel/tire fitment : 16"

I'm eyeing a set of wheels pretty hard for my E36. If my Style 5's sell, I may just bite. They are some staggered ACT mesh wheels.

Specs :
    front : 8.5Jx16H2 ET10
    rear : 9.5Jx16H2 ET14

looking for input on tire sizing... I think 205/55 front 225/50 rear should work well. But really have minimal reference points in 16". I was looking at the star specs as I'm an autocrosser at heart, but they will run wider than other lower-tier summer tires in the same size. I know 205/50-16 in front would be better, but 225/45-16 rears aren't so easy to acquire. I also know fitment won't be easy at those offsets, especially with near stock rolling diameter.

Any inputs/thoughts would be a big help. I'm also not sure if I'd run them as they are or want to re-finish them differently than they are now.

I need more low anyway... so that is in the works.

Thanks - Jon

- I know a great AST dealer, ask me about them.

I think you should go with 205/50 and 225/45 if you can. That would give you lots of room to slam it down while still having enough wheel to fill out the fenders.

The sizes you suggested would be way to high to get it to any nice height and look good with 16s.

If you go really low, you could even pull off 205/45 and 225/40.
    I dunno if these sizes are even available though.
    Last edited by Dr.AK; 07-27-2009, 04:12 PM.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

yeah... that's what I'm thinking. Hankook RS2's came in those sizes... perhaps when sizing for the RS3 is released, they'll still offer that size.

No one really does 16's on an E36 w/ stance... is another reason I'm thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by verlumpt View Post
        No one really does 16's on an E36 w/ stance... is another reason I'm thinking about it.
        This is one of the few that pulls it off...

9x16 ET-3 215/40/16
        10.5x16 ET+3 245/35/16

Don't have the pics any bigger though...

Comment

I'm eyeing a set of wheels pretty hard for my E36. If my Style 5's sell, I may just bite. They are some staggered ACT mesh wheels.

Specs :
          front : 8.5Jx16H2 ET10
          rear : 9.5Jx16H2 ET14

looking for input on tire sizing... I think 205/55 front 225/50 rear should work well. But really have minimal reference points in 16". I was looking at the star specs as I'm an autocrosser at heart, but they will run wider than other lower-tier summer tires in the same size. I know 205/50-16 in front would be better, but 225/45-16 rears aren't so easy to acquire. I also know fitment won't be easy at those offsets, especially with near stock rolling diameter.

Any inputs/thoughts would be a big help. I'm also not sure if I'd run them as they are or want to re-finish them differently than they are now.

I need more low anyway... so that is in the works.

Thanks - Jon
          You would need SERIOUS fender mods to fit with those tire sizes.

This is 16x8" ET11, with a 205/50-16. It poked a good bit. Fenders were rolled, no rubbing.

205/50-16 and 225/45-16 are really your only hope of making them fit, and even then you are going to have a hard time.

Here is another reference for you. This is a 10" wide rear, ET20 with a 225 tire. 9.5" ET14 pokes exactly the same amount. Except my rear fenders are pulled A TON.

Comment

That is sticking out too far for me, yuck.

This one doesn't look as bad in the front, more camber and more stretch than the other shot.

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
            This is 16x8" ET11, with a 205/50-16. It poked a good bit. Fenders were rolled, no rubbing.

How much camber were you running in this shot? Doesn't look like much, but could be the angle. Camber is going to be a key element to making it work if I dive in to do it. It's all moot unless I sell my style 5's.

Thanks - Jon
            Last edited by verlumpt; 07-28-2009, 07:55 AM.

Comment

This one doesn't look as bad in the front, more camber and more stretch than the other shot.
              It's exactly the same setup like in the pic before. It just looks so drastically different due to the lighting.

Comment

How much camber were you running in this shot? Doesn't look like much, but could be the angle. Camber is going to be a key element to making it work if I dive in to do it. It's all moot unless I sell my style 5's.

Thanks - Jon
                2.4*.

Comment

well... scratch that idea then.

Thanks guys!

Jon

Comment

For reference, mine's 16x8 et11 and 16x9 et24 with 195/50/16 and 225/45/16 Toyo T1-R...not too expensive and readily available. But you gotta go LOOOOWW to pull off the small diameter (1.3" shorter than stock in my case) tire sizes.

Geordie Johnston - Atlanta, GA
                    1990 560 SEC Euro 300hp | 2005 E55 AMG Wagon | 1998 S210 E320

Comment

Working...
                    X