Need advice on widening steelies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on widening steelies

I have just brought a set of saab chasers for my car , a saab 9000 and want to get them widened and perhaps flip the centre to give more dish.
    These are stick 4x108 33ET wheels and I am curious as to how wide I could go and still fit them without the need for spacers or coilovers/bags.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

tons of info out there, some good some bad. Take a look see

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Comment

Thanks for the obligatory 'do a google search' answer.
      Since this is a stance forum specifically I was hoping that you guys could shed some more light on this.
      I know there are a few saab owners on here, can someone point me to the right person/people?

Comment

it could help if you tell us where you located
        Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

melbourne victoria australia

Comment

moved your thread to the OZ section
            Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

bump

Comment

Use a offset calculator to work out how much wider you can go.
                Sarcasm is easily calculated on vortex dude. Take 4 parts GLI lip and divide by BBS RS. If you are left with a remainder, subtract it from omgmoarlow. Profit.

Comment

What diameter are the steelies? best place in melbourne to widen steelies is ajax wheels. depending on the diameter will depend on the width. Generally 8" is as wide as they do, any wider and you're looking at big $$$.

As far as offsets go, they would have no idea, you would have to measure everything up. As for flipping centers, thats just stupid. Steelies are generally made to suit the cars hub assembly/clear the calipers and brake set ups.
                  Originally posted by anth
                  Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Do you have a link to an offset calculator, and how do they work?
                    I currently have 17x6 alloys on it, and it has flared guards so wider wheels should be fine, im just worried about the inner clearances so I guess thats where the calculater would come in handy?
                    Also when widening wheels if you want more of a lip on them, lets say they are 15" but I want them to have an extra 2" lip would they do this? Im just curious as I am currently running 17" chromies and Im worried that 15" will be too small or look strange..

Comment

stick to the 17"s.

Comment

google an offset calculator
                        http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator I have done the hard work for you <<<<<<<

key in your old specs
                        5.5et33 for example (you need to confirm this on your current wheels)
                        key in what you would like
                        for example 8et30

we can now see you will have 29mm less inner clearance, and wheel will come 35mm outwards with the proposed size.
                        proceed to you car with a tape measure and measure 35mm out from the face. is this ok? is it too far sunken or too much poke?
                        repeat with the inner, is 29mm closer to the strut/control arm/body/whatever else is going on in there too much?

if too much, back the offset and or width off to say 7.5et35 in the calculator and try again.
                        Sarcasm is easily calculated on vortex dude. Take 4 parts GLI lip and divide by BBS RS. If you are left with a remainder, subtract it from omgmoarlow. Profit.

Comment

Thanks so much for your help Dylan8! I am glad someone could provide some helpful practical advice
                          Someone mentioned Ajax, I have a quote from Eastern , are ajax also in Melbourne?

Comment

Ajax are the importers and distributors for all steel barrels in victoria. they are in moorabin, google is a useful tool. There is also neway, among others, but why use anyone other then ajax since everyone buys the barrels from them and marks up anyway?

Comment

www.ohitsandy.blogspot.com

www.flickr.com/andhey

Comment

Working...
                              X