Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying used compressor - What to look for?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying used compressor - What to look for?

I'm looking at buying a used Viair 380C compressor for a good deal. It's been used and has a bit of corrosion on the chrome.
    Is there anything I should look at before/after buying the compressor? Is there any way to rebuild a compressor to like new? Anything I should replace immediately after buying to ensure longer life?

Thanks

they are rebuildable.
    look for cracks in the leader hose near the head of the compressor.

hook it up to your car battery to see if it runs.

380's are pretty cheap...probably not worth rebuilding if it doesnt work...but thats always an option

I can get rebuild kits for (most of) them BTW

Good luck!!
    *~* Yamaguchi-gumi Syndicate Member #59,005 *~*
    // Bippu-Car \\

Comment

You can always pop the head off and have a look at the walls of the compression chamber. If they're scored to hell, it may not compress particularly well.

Have a look at the underside of the head where the leader hose threads in, and make sure there is no evidence of cracking. There is a stupid metal plug there that intersects the exhaust port that can help the head to crack if the leader hose is threaded in too tight. As me how I know. In any case, replacement heads are cheap.

If the comp is still hooked to a tank, you could always run the compressor up to 200 PSI and see how long it takes. Stock specs are a 0-200 PSI fill on a 5-gallon tank in 13m 25s. Should be within a minute or so if it's in good shape.

Comment

Just something to keep in mind. Compressors aren't built to last a lifetime so they will die within a few years depending on how often they are used. Buying used air ride parts is fine the majority of the time, but when it comes to the compressors, you're better off buying new, especially since you will get a warranty. There's just no way of knowing the health of a compressor without taking it apart like others mentioned previously. I am saying this from an enthusiast's standpoint and not because I work at Bag Riders.

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

Working...
        X