Front coils bottomed, what's next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front coils bottomed, what's next?

What's up guys? I need some help getting lower. I am a 330xi sitting on KW Variant 1 coilovers. At the moment the fronts are turned all the way down (1.5 threads left). I still have room to go lower though. I remember hearing about people removing the helper springs from their coils throughout my time being on E46Fanatics (I think mostly to pss9's...not sure). What do you guys say about this? Is this how I need to get lower? Will it be safe for my car you think? I know that I can go "too" low and mess with the xi system...although I really don't know anything about why. Any help is greatly appreciated

Expect lots of changes to my car by the end of this year

edit: one more thing, let's just say i want to pick up some 17x8 et40 wheels, but plan on making them 9.5" wide...should i just get wider lips to bring the offset lower? orrr...*shrugs shoulders* and what size tires should i run for 9.5 wide without giving up too much overall diameter (not sure how much diameter change messes up with a car)
    Last edited by Gottalovethexi; 07-21-2009, 10:11 PM.
    Ryan | flickr

going from 8 et40 to 9.5 with larger lips will make your offset et22.

As for helper springs, get rid of them.
    As for the xi system, I dunno.
    Roll low. Let it break.
    It sucks to roll hard.

Comment

done.

thank you kind sir.

oh yea, any idea how much shells go for on kodiak?
      Ryan | flickr

Comment

Kodiak no longer makes lips for anything bigger than 16" (maybe 15").
        What wheels are you trying to make bigger? If they're RSs, you need to hit up Racing Team Hoffmann or iclair.de

Comment

For the IX make sure you go even tire diameter all around, front and rear.

that's all I know. I fail.

Comment

every set of coils i have had, the first thing i did before i even put them on was ditch the helper spring.....It's only purpose is to keep the main spring body in palce while the car is off the ground. When compressed all the way takes up 1.5-2.5 of your lowering capabilities. ...ditch that shit.

Comment

im trying to pick up the set of hartge tuned 3pc wheels from memoryfab, so yea 17's...

and i knew about the same diameters for xi's (although im still afraid to run a little bit of staggered even tho its been done)
              Ryan | flickr

Comment

All the way down and 1.5 turns away from all the way down are different. Crank em down, ditch the helper springs, and get camber plates if you haven't already.

Comment

well if you take the helper springs out you wont need to crank them all the way down

Comment

Originally posted by notloEnuf View Post
                    well if you take the helper springs out you wont need to crank them all the way down
                    Bluff. Lower is better.

Comment

OOOH NOOO trust me i agree lower is better, bt what im sayin is with the helper spring gone if he left the perch where it is then it will prolly put the pan to the pavement. Taken that spring outalone is gonna give him 1.5-2.5 more drop

Comment

Originally posted by Gottalovethexi View Post
                        im trying to pick up the set of hartge tuned 3pc wheels from memoryfab, so yea 17's...

and i knew about the same diameters for xi's (although im still afraid to run a little bit of staggered even tho its been done)
                        as far as i know with audi's quattro system, the idea is to keep the overall diameter of the tire the same on all 4's. The system can withstand some difference. I dont know how much tolerance bmw has but audi is about 5%

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
                          Bluff. Lower is better.
                          hahah im gonna try to go as low as possible
                          Originally posted by notloEnuf View Post
                          OOOH NOOO trust me i agree lower is better, bt what im sayin is with the helper spring gone if he left the perch where it is then it will prolly put the pan to the pavement. Taken that spring outalone is gonna give him 1.5-2.5 more drop
                          yea thats more than ample amount for me to be stanced
                          Originally posted by Tuck&Poke View Post
                          as far as i know with audi's quattro system, the idea is to keep the overall diameter of the tire the same on all 4's. The system can withstand some difference. I dont know how much tolerance bmw has but audi is about 5%
                          worddd, im still not gonna risk it tho lol

-------

so any help on the wheel situation? (post 7)
                          Ryan | flickr

Comment

Just make sure you have the same overall diameter on all 4 corners. The easiest way to do that is run the same width wheel all around with the same tire on all of them. As soon as you stagger out back your going to eliminate being able to get exactly the same rolling diameter tire, there will always be atleast 2-3% difference if not more.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchy View Post
                              Just make sure you have the same overall diameter on all 4 corners. The easiest way to do that is run the same width wheel all around with the same tire on all of them. As soon as you stagger out back your going to eliminate being able to get exactly the same rolling diameter tire, there will always be atleast 2-3% difference if not more.
                              lol no worries man, ive gotta say im probably one of the more "heavily" modded (hesitate to even say that, more so just one of the handful of xi's that are actually "slammed") on E46fanatics and know about staggering on pre-xdrive bmw's. im staying away even tho some xi's in canada came with staggered wheels.

and im not getting the hartge's anymore...i cant find help to figure out how to get them wider and i ain't settling for 8's..just gonna fancy up the bbs for now with spacers and some paint.
                              Ryan | flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X