New guy looking for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy looking for help

Hey guys I'm a first time poster here but I've kept this forum in my rotation of badass places to check out for a while now. I have a question about coilovers for my car. I have a 2000 Saturn L series (I know it's a Saturn and not a cool car like a VW,BMW, or 240, etc.) I got the car because my Dad is a tech for Saturn and I got it cheap, it's the second one I've owned and as weird as it sounds I love the damn things. I had an 01 with Progress lowering springs on it since they made the only lowering spring for that chassis and now my gf drives that car so I need to make the new to me one lower.

Anyway...

Through my quest to get even lower I have found out that Saab 9-5's (1999-2001ish) share the same platform which leads me to believe I can make coilovers work on my car. I found D2 Racing and K Sport coilovers for the Saab's so far. The only difference I can find in the suspensions are that the top mounts in the front of the Saab's use the typical 3 bolt style to bolt into the strut tower whereas my car only uses one center bolt. Here are the pictures I have been going off of to determine all that...

Saab suspension--

Saturn suspension--
    Attached Files

try sourcing the parts to swap over what you need from a saab into your car and then check the curb weight of each vehicle. coilovers are designed to specific cars and weights (spring rates & shock specs) and if your car weighs more or less, it could be extremely dangerous and overloading them or they wouldn't work like they should. i'm not a mechanic or anything like that but it just seems like that would be the common sense approach imo.

vagina, it's what's for dinner.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I got in touch with K Sport and found out they carry a coilover for an Opel Vectra B which shares the exact same suspension design so I'm waiting on some more info from them and then I should be set.

Comment

worst comes to worst, you probably can make your own coilover by drilling out the fluid in the stock struts and using inserts....then buying the rest of the coilover parts.
        Last edited by NegativeCamber; 04-21-2010, 03:03 PM.
        Originally posted by Kielan
        I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Well now that I know Ksport's will work I just need to get those ordered and I should be good to go.

Thanks for the info though guys

Comment

Working...
          X