seized coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seized coils?

So last night, I was switching wheels/tires and I thought, hey, let me lower it like a 1/4" in the front. welll.......

not so much.

I put the locking wrenchs on the rings, and tried so hard to get the rings to turn, but they went nowhere. Given they were covered in crap from all of winter, and I haven't had the chance yet to give them a proper wipe down.

I am curious as to if there are any products that will make getting the rings to turn easier after I clean up the coilovers? Or do you just think it's the build up of dirt/salt/etc that needs to be cleaned off?

Oh and there is NO RUST on any of the coils.

Input appreciated and thanks in advance.
    - Anthony
    Last edited by glasswars; 04-18-2010, 08:51 PM.

stanceNeon | halcyonphoto.net

Clean everything off, ideally with a wire wheel. You can also use liquid wrench or something like that to help unseize them. Once everything's all clean, just coat the threads with antiseize compound to keep them from getting too messed up in the future

Flickr

Originally posted by Kielan
    Oh FUCK YES, 6-10 inches for me this weekend. FUCK YES!

Comment

hammer + punch to undo them. then clean it up with a wire brush and some antiseize

Widebody B6 build

HIT ME UP if you need Ksport supplies. i can get them to you cheaper than anyone.

Comment

fks come with a spray to prevent this. when you finally get them unstuck, find out what that stuff is and spray down your coils every now and then............and i dare ask: are they cheap coilovers?

vagina, it's what's for dinner.

Comment

Thanks for the tips and info guys. I should be attacking these soon.

And I wouldn't consider them (Megans) "cheap" coils, sure they are 950$ , but they are nearly the same build/price as D2/ksport/bc/eibach.. in fact they are technically version 1 BC's. They have about 15K on them since I put them on almost 2 years ago. Plenty of Neon guys with 30K+ on these.. But yeah they aren't Tein's / KW's /Mopars haha.

stanceNeon | halcyonphoto.net

Comment

Mine did the same thing the other week. I first saturated the coil with pb blaster and tapped around the outside of the body to try and break free some of the dirt etc... I tried using a hammer and screwdriver after failing with the coil wrench with no luck. Even tried upgrading to a near sledge and it wouldnt budge. My luck finally came when I used lockjaws to grab the tab where I mount my brake line/abs then attached a big pole for leverage to the lockjaws ahah. I know the spot your at, it sucks ahahah. Just remember leverage is your friend
            "This community is made up of people who strive to push the boundaries of the conceivable"

Comment

When you do get them loose, antisieze the fcuk out of them to keep them from doing it again. As much as you can get on there.

Comment

Working...
              X